Equilibrio of a sparingly soluble ionic compound

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter daphnelee-mh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ionic
In summary, the conversation discusses a question regarding the calculation of the solubility of PbSO4. The participant is confused about the given answer and asks for clarification. The expert confirms that the given answer is wrong and suggests using the correct Ksp value for PbSO4. The conversation ends with the participant acknowledging the discrepancy and confirming that their approach was correct.
daphnelee-mh
Homework Statement
Calculate the concentration of the first cation until second cation just starts to precipitate as sulfate
Relevant Equations
Ksp
I got the first question correct but I don’t understand the answer given for second question which is c (Pb^2+) = 8.4x10^-5 molL ^-1. It divided the concentrate for sulphate ion of Ag2SO4 into 2 , but it is the solubility right ?
7D54C1EC-7177-41A4-A391-D1ADE92A3573.jpeg

Attachments

• 6CC5A814-91E9-48D2-8DD6-A2438CC11715.jpeg
    6CC5A814-91E9-48D2-8DD6-A2438CC11715.jpeg
    37.4 KB · Views: 271
Physics news on Phys.org
This is very difficult to read :mad:

daphnelee-mh said:
It divided the concentrate for sulphate ion of Ag2SO4 into 2

As far as I can tell - it didn't.

1577086669679.png

My answer is 4.33 x 10^-5, but answer given is 8.4x10^-5, how can I get it?

Next time please type the answer (takes less time than writing and taking pictures).

As far as I can tell answer given is wrong, your approach looks OK.

Sorry, my computer have problems that time, I can just upload using phone. Therefore, is it the given answer is wrong?

Looks like, I got the same answer you did.

Likes daphnelee-mh
Were you given the Ksp for PbSO4?
Wikipedia has it at 2.13X10^-8 (20C), the CRC has it at 1.06X10^-8 (18C) and you are using 1.3X10^-8!

1. What is the definition of "equilibrium of a sparingly soluble ionic compound"?

The equilibrium of a sparingly soluble ionic compound refers to the state at which the rate of dissolution of the compound is equal to the rate of precipitation, resulting in a constant concentration of ions in the solution.

2. How is the equilibrium of a sparingly soluble ionic compound affected by temperature?

The equilibrium of a sparingly soluble ionic compound is typically affected by temperature in the same way as a typical chemical equilibrium. An increase in temperature can increase the solubility of the compound, while a decrease in temperature can decrease the solubility.

3. What is the significance of the solubility product constant in determining the equilibrium of a sparingly soluble ionic compound?

The solubility product constant (Ksp) is a measure of the maximum amount of a sparingly soluble ionic compound that can dissolve in a given solvent at a specific temperature. The equilibrium of the compound is determined by comparing the actual concentration of ions in the solution to the Ksp value.

4. How do common ion effects impact the equilibrium of a sparingly soluble ionic compound?

Common ion effects occur when a solution already contains one of the ions in the sparingly soluble ionic compound, resulting in a decrease in the solubility of the compound. This can shift the equilibrium to favor the precipitation of the compound, reducing its solubility.

5. How can the equilibrium of a sparingly soluble ionic compound be altered or shifted?

The equilibrium of a sparingly soluble ionic compound can be altered or shifted by changing the temperature, concentration of ions in the solution, or by adding a common ion. It can also be shifted by changing the pH of the solution, as some compounds may be more soluble in acidic or basic conditions.