Equilibrium and thermodynamics

In summary: The equilibrium constant only depends on temperature. The partial pressure of CO2 at equilibrium is just a number that is determined by the temperature and the concentrations of CaCO3 and CaO, and it is the same number no matter what the pressure of the system is.
erisedk

Homework Statement

The thermal dissociation equilibrium of CaCO3 (s) is studied under different conditions.
CaCO3 ⇔ CaO (s) + CO2 (g)
For this equilibrium, the correct statement(s) is (are)
(A) ΔH is dependent on T
(B) Keq is independent of the initial amount of CaCO3
(C) Keq is dependent on the pressure of CO2 at a given T
(D) ΔH is independent of the catalyst, if any

Answers are (A), (B) and (D)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I need someone to tell me if my justification for (A) is correct, and clear a doubt I have on (C).

For (A), since this reaction is taken to be at equilibrium ΔG = 0.
ΔG = ΔH - TΔS
⇒ ΔH = TΔS (at eq)
Since ΔH ∝ T
(A) is correct.

I'm asking this because I think my reasoning might be wrong as I saw a justification involving Kirchhoff's law, http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Core/Ph...namics/State_Functions/Enthalpy/Kirchhoff_Law

For (C), I'm well aware that equilibrium constants are independent of concentrations of reactants and products, and they are a fixed value for a given reaction at a given temperature.
However, I'm unable to reason why this is so. In this case Kp = (pco2)eq, i.e. partial pressure of CO2 at equilibrium. So isn't is directly dependent on the pressure of CO2, even though the pressure of CO2 at equilibrium is a fixed value at a given temperature and volume due to ideal gas law?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps they meant that Keq is independent of the starting concentration of CO2.

The reason A is correct can be explained in terms of Hess's Law.

Regarding choice C, I think you're "well aware" explanation is right on target.

1. What is equilibrium and why is it important in thermodynamics?

Equilibrium refers to a state in which there is no net change in a system over time. In thermodynamics, it is important because it allows us to predict the direction of a chemical reaction and the amount of energy released or absorbed.

2. How do you determine if a system is at equilibrium?

A system is at equilibrium when the rates of the forward and reverse reactions are equal and there is no net change in the concentrations of reactants and products over time.

3. Can equilibrium be disturbed?

Yes, equilibrium can be disturbed by changing the temperature, pressure, or concentrations of reactants and products. This can shift the equilibrium to favor the forward or reverse reaction.

4. What is the difference between dynamic and static equilibrium?

Dynamic equilibrium refers to a state in which the rates of the forward and reverse reactions are equal and there is a continuous flow of reactants and products. Static equilibrium, on the other hand, refers to a state in which there is no movement or change within a system.

5. How does thermodynamics relate to equilibrium?

Thermodynamics is the study of energy and its transformations. In the context of equilibrium, thermodynamics helps us understand the energy changes that occur during a chemical reaction and how these changes affect the position of equilibrium.