Equilibrium distribution of a solvent in two immiscible solvents

In summary, the conversation is about finding the distribution coefficients for acetic acid in a ether/water system and the concerns about the accuracy of the calculations. The equations and solution attempt are mentioned, along with a question about the experimental procedure and data. The use of significant figures in the data is also questioned.
Frankenstein19

Homework Statement

I need to find the distribution coefficients for acetic acid of various concentrations in a ether/water system, but I'm not too sure of my calculations

Homework Equations

To get the concentrations of acetic acid in the aqueous phase I took the ([average concentration of NaOH]*[vol I got from the titration])/(aliquot volume)

The Attempt at a Solution

The concentrations are in M and the volumes are in mL
Aliquot volume for the aqueous phase was 5mL and 10mL for the organic phase
upload_2018-9-26_20-47-3.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-26_20-47-3.png
    upload_2018-9-26_20-47-3.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 389
Physics news on Phys.org
Wouldn't hurt if you would start with explaining the experiment and detailing procedure you have followed to gather the experimental data.

Why only single significant figures in the most right two columns?

1. What is an equilibrium distribution of a solvent in two immiscible solvents?

The equilibrium distribution of a solvent in two immiscible solvents refers to the distribution of the solvent molecules between two solvents that are unable to mix or dissolve in each other. This distribution is achieved when the rates of solvent molecules moving from one solvent to the other are equal.

2. How is equilibrium distribution affected by temperature?

The equilibrium distribution is affected by temperature because it influences the rate of molecular movement between the two solvents. Higher temperatures increase the kinetic energy of the molecules, leading to faster movement and a higher equilibrium distribution.

3. What factors influence the equilibrium distribution of a solvent?

The equilibrium distribution of a solvent is influenced by factors such as the solubility of the solvent in each solvent, the temperature, and the relative amounts of each solvent. The polarity and density of the solvents can also play a role.

4. Can the equilibrium distribution be changed?

Yes, the equilibrium distribution can be changed by altering the factors that influence it. For example, adjusting the temperature, changing the ratio of solvents, or adding a surfactant can all impact the equilibrium distribution of a solvent in two immiscible solvents.

5. What is the importance of understanding equilibrium distribution in scientific research?

Understanding equilibrium distribution is crucial in various fields of scientific research, such as chemistry and biochemistry. It can help in predicting and controlling the solubility of substances, designing experiments, and developing new products or processes. Additionally, understanding equilibrium distribution can also aid in understanding natural processes, such as the transport of nutrients in biological systems.