Equivalence class of 0 for the relation a ~ b iff 2a+3b is divisible by 5

In summary: However, we can look at the set of integers for which a~b. That is, we can look at the sets [0], [1], [2], [3], and [4].In summary, the equivalence relation ~ on integers is defined as a~b if and only if 2a+3b is divisible by 5. The equivalence class of 0 is the set of all integers related to 0, which can be represented as [0] = {5n| n is an integer}. However, this is not a true equivalence relation and does not have equivalence classes.
jeszo

Homework Statement

~ is a equivalence relation on integers defined as:
a~b if and only if 2a+3b is divisible by 5

What is the equivalence class of 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[0] = {0, 5n} n is an integer

My reasoning for choosing 0 is that if a=0 and b=0, the relation is satisfied since 2(0)+3(0) = 0 and 5 divides 0, so 0~0
My reasoning for choosing 5n is that if a=0 and b=5n, or the other way around, then 2(0)+3(5n)=3(5n), which is a multiple of 5, and thus divisible by 5, satisfying the relation, making 0~5n

I got 0 marks for the question, but I don't know if it's because the statement isn't assembled properly, or if it's because I don't know what an equivalence class is. Please help me see my error

Physics news on Phys.org
jeszo said:

Homework Statement

~ is a equivalence relation on integers defined as:
a~b if and only if 2a+3b is divisible by 5

What is the equivalence class of 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[0] = {0, 5n} n is an integer

My reasoning for choosing 0 is that if a=0 and b=0, the relation is satisfied since 2(0)+3(0) = 0 and 5 divides 0, so 0~0
My reasoning for choosing 5n is that if a=0 and b=5n, or the other way around, then 2(0)+3(5n)=3(5n), which is a multiple of 5, and thus divisible by 5, satisfying the relation, making 0~5n

I got 0 marks for the question, but I don't know if it's because the statement isn't assembled properly, or if it's because I don't know what an equivalence class is. Please help me see my error

In order to have an equivalence relation, we need both a ~ b and b ~ a, so we need both 2a + 3b and 2b + 3a to be divisible by 5.

RGV

In response to Ray Vickson:
With 0 and 5n as the equivalence class for 0, wouldn't it still hold true that 0~0,5n~0 and 0~5n? Since, 2(5n)+3(0)=5(2n) and 2(0)+3(5n)=5(3n)?

It's redundant to include the zero in {0, 5n}, since if n=0, then 5n=0.

A better notation would be, [0] = {5n| n is an integer.}

Regarding Ray Vickson's comment, I agree with you.

The equivalence class of 0, is the set of all integers related to 0. I.e. it's the set of all integers, m, such the m~0 .

What, exactly, was the question? I suspect it was to determine whether or not this was an equivalence relation and, if so find the equivalence class containing 0.

As Ray Vickson said, this is NOT an equvalence relation and so does NOT have "equivalence classes".

1. What is the definition of equivalence classes in relation to the given relation?

Equivalence classes are a way of grouping elements together based on a specific relation. In this case, the relation is defined as a ~ b iff 2a+3b is divisible by 5. This means that any two elements, a and b, are in the same equivalence class if their sum (2a+3b) is divisible by 5.

2. How do you determine the equivalence class of 0 for the given relation?

To determine the equivalence class of 0, we need to find all the values of a and b that satisfy the relation 2a+3b = 0 (since we are looking for the class of 0). This can be done by solving for either a or b in terms of the other variable. For example, if we solve for a, we get a = (-3/2)b. This means that any value of b that is a multiple of -3/2 (such as -3, -6, 0, 6, etc.) will be in the equivalence class of 0.

3. Can there be more than one equivalence class for a given relation?

Yes, there can be multiple equivalence classes for a given relation. In this case, there are five possible equivalence classes, since there are five possible remainders when dividing by 5 (0, 1, 2, 3, 4).

4. How are equivalence classes useful in mathematics?

Equivalence classes are useful in mathematics for grouping elements together based on a specific relation. This can help simplify problems and make it easier to analyze and understand certain mathematical concepts. Equivalence classes are also used in various areas of mathematics, such as abstract algebra and set theory.

5. Are there any real-life applications of equivalence classes?

Yes, equivalence classes have real-life applications in various fields such as computer science, linguistics, and social sciences. In computer science, equivalence classes are used in algorithms for data sorting and clustering. In linguistics, equivalence classes are used to group words with similar meanings. In social sciences, equivalence classes are used to categorize individuals based on similar characteristics or traits.