Equivalent Uniform Annual Cost

In summary, the enterprise FasterTrucks Ltd is considering purchasing a new delivery vehicle and needs to decide between two models. They have decided to use the method of Equivalent Uniform Annual Cost, taking into account the 10% annual cost of capital. The purchase price is R150 000 and an additional R30 000 is needed for adjustments. The expected economic lifetime is three years. After using the PV calculation, the answer is R72 380.66 for the annual payments.
waptrick
FasterTrucks Ltd is a transport company. The
enterprise needs to decide if a new delivery
vehicle will be purchased. Two models are
currently considered. You are required to
indicate which one of the two models should
be purchased. You decide to apply the method
of EQUIVALENT UNIFORM ANNUAL COST.
Since the economic lifetimes of the two models
differ, you will have to apply the replacement
chain approach. Assume that the company’s
cost of capital amounts to 10% per year.
The following information is provided to you:

The purchase price of the vehicle amounts to
R150 000 now. Furthermore, the vehicle needs
to be adjusted at a total cost of R30 000 now.
The purchase price and the cost of adjusting
the vehicle are not expected to change during
the next ten years. The vehicle’s expected
economic lifetime is estimated as three years.

The answer is = R 72 380.66

I know you have to get the present value of the vehicle and then calculate the annual payments but I am not sure how to get this answer?

This was the method used to get the answer:

PV= -180 000 - 180 000/(1.10)^3 = 315 236.66

Then,

PV= 315 236.66
N=6
i=10%

therefore PMT= 72 380.66

Mathematics news on Phys.org
waptrick said:
PV= 315 236.66
N=6
i=10%
therefore PMT= 72 380.66
Your PV calculation is correct.
Payment formula:
A = amount (72380.66)
n = number of payments (6)
i = interest factor (.10)
P = Ai / [1 - 1/(1 + i)^n] : that's work out to 72380.66

However, no idea where the "6 years" comes in.
Problem only mentions 3 years.

What is Equivalent Uniform Annual Cost (EUAC)?

Equivalent Uniform Annual Cost (EUAC) is a method used in capital budgeting to compare different investment options or projects that have unequal lifetimes. It is a calculation that converts the total costs and benefits of a project into an equivalent annual amount.

Why is EUAC important in decision-making?

EUAC is important because it allows for a fair comparison between projects with different lifetimes. It takes into account the time value of money and provides a way to evaluate the long-term costs and benefits of different investments, helping decision-makers make more informed choices.

How is EUAC calculated?

EUAC is calculated by first finding the present value of all costs and benefits associated with a project, using a discount rate. Then, this present value is divided by the annuity factor, which is calculated using the discount rate and the project's lifetime. The resulting number is the EUAC, representing the equivalent annual cost of the project.

What are the limitations of EUAC?

One limitation of EUAC is that it assumes a constant discount rate, which may not always be the case in real-life situations. It also does not take into account any potential changes in costs or benefits over the project's lifetime. Additionally, EUAC does not consider the risk associated with a project, which can also impact decision-making.

When is EUAC most useful?

EUAC is most useful when evaluating long-term investments or projects with unequal lifetimes. It is also helpful when comparing projects with different cash flow patterns, as it allows for a fair comparison by converting all costs and benefits into an equivalent annual amount.