Estimate Revenue Per Share

I am just thankful that you were able to provide me with the answer.In summary, the conversation discussed an exercise using the midpoint formula to estimate the revenue per share for Twitter, Inc. in 2014, assuming that the revenue per share followed a linear pattern. The correct answer was determined to be $2.21. The conversation also touched on the importance of questioning and checking for errors in calculations, as well as the potential limitations of using linear interpolation in real-world scenarios. The source of the exercise was revealed to be Ron Larson's precalculus book edition 10E. Ultimately, the conversation concluded that the exercise, while not perfect, served its purpose as a precalc problem.
nycmathguy
Homework Statement
Estimate the revenue per share in the year 2014.
Relevant Equations
Midpoint Formula

[(x_1 + x_2)/2, (y_1 + y_2)/2]
The revenue per share for Twitter, Inc. was $1.17 in 2013 and $3.25 in 2015. Use the Midpoint Formula to estimate the revenue per share in 2014. Assume that the revenue per share followed a linear pattern. (Source: Twitter, Inc.)

This is an exercise using the midpoint formula. I just want to know if my set up is correct.

Let M = midpoint

M = [(2013 + 2015)/2, (1.17 + 3.25)/2]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
So what did you get as answers, your setup has a couple errors/typos bit basically match the general midpoint formula.

Do you see them?

Its important to have a good eye, and to question what you type.

To check your result you could plot them on graph paper and then determine the midpoint by ruler to check if your answer matches the measured midpoint.

jedishrfu said:
So what did you get as answers, your setup has a couple errors/typos bit basically match the general midpoint formula.

Do you see them?

To check your result you could plot them on graph paper and then determine the midpoint by ruler to check if your answer matches the measured midpoint.

1. All questions posted are EVEN NUMBER questions.

2. Most textbooks do not provide the answer to even number problems in the back of the book.

jedishrfu said:

Do you see them?

What typos? Are you saying that x_1 & x_2 should represent the years 2013 an 2015? If so, that has been corrected?

M = (4028/2, 4.42/2)

M = (2014, 2.21)

I would estimate the 2014 sales to have been about $2.21.

Is this right? I say yes.

Initially, you wrote 2013 + 3015 and forgot the 2 divisor in your answer.

The 3015 would surely throw things off if you didn't notice it.

Did you try to graph it?

yes you computed the correct answer.

Your initial setup had typos so it was wrong.

jedishrfu said:
You wrote 2013 + 3015 and forgot the 2 divisor in your answer. The 3015 would surely throw things off if you didn't notice it.

Did you try to graph it?
It was a typo. It has been corrected.

jedishrfu said:
You wrote 2013 + 3015 and forgot the 2 divisor in your answer. The 3015 would surely throw things off if you didn't notice it.

Did you try to graph it?

M = (4028/2, 4.42/2)

M = (2014, 2.21)

Likes PeroK
nycmathguy said:

M = (4028/2, 4.42/2)

M = (2014, 2.21)

This isn't a criticism of your work, but of the question. There are two sides to numeracy - understanding calculations and knowing what calculations are appropriate.

In this case, there is no logic to say that a company's performance follows a linear curve. The earnings could easily have been zero in 2014 if that were a bad year.

This is also related to the idea of mathematics helping to develop your critical thinking. Questions like this, sadly, aid uncritical thinking.

My maths teacher when I was 14+, an ex amateur boxer called Mr Ross, was critical of things like this!

• Haha
Likes Delta2
PeroK said:
This isn't a criticism of your work, but of the question. There are two sides to numeracy - understanding calculations and knowing what calculations are appropriate.

In this case, there is no logic to say that a company's performance follows a linear curve. The earnings could easily have been zero in 2014 if that were a bad year.

This is also related to the idea of mathematics helping to develop your critical thinking. Questions like this, sadly, aid uncritical thinking.
Hey, blame Ron Larson. The question is from his precalculus book edition 10E.

PeroK said:
My maths teacher when I was 14+, an ex amateur boxer called Mr Ross, was critical of things like this!
Mr. Ross' problem would be with Ron Larson not me. All the precalculus questions posted thus far come from Ron's edition 10E book.

PeroK said:
In this case, there is no logic to say that a company's performance follows a linear curve.
Right, but the example is one of very simple interpolation that was dreamed up to make it seem like a real applied problem. If we look at this as a precalc problem in which linear growth is assumed, rather than as a real-world problem in finance or economics, I think the problem is reasonable.

Likes nycmathguy
Mark44 said:
Right, but the example is one of very simple interpolation that was dreamed up to make it seem like a real applied problem. If we look at this as a precalc problem in which linear growth is assumed, rather than as a real-world problem in finance or economics, I think the problem is reasonable.

This problem is not really worth arguing about. I am sure that Ron Larson knows why the problem is given as an exercise in chapter 1.

1. What is "Estimate Revenue Per Share"?

"Estimate Revenue Per Share" is a financial metric used to measure the amount of revenue generated by a company for each outstanding share of its common stock. It is calculated by dividing the company's total revenue by the number of outstanding shares.

2. Why is "Estimate Revenue Per Share" important?

"Estimate Revenue Per Share" is important because it provides investors with a better understanding of how much revenue a company is generating per share of its stock. This can help investors make more informed decisions about whether to buy, hold, or sell a company's stock.

3. How is "Estimate Revenue Per Share" different from "Earnings Per Share"?

"Estimate Revenue Per Share" measures a company's revenue per share, while "Earnings Per Share" measures a company's net income per share. Revenue is the total amount of money a company earns from its operations, while net income is the amount of profit a company makes after deducting expenses.

4. What factors can affect "Estimate Revenue Per Share"?

"Estimate Revenue Per Share" can be affected by a variety of factors, such as changes in the company's sales volume, pricing strategy, competition, and overall economic conditions. It can also be impacted by changes in the number of outstanding shares due to stock buybacks or issuances.

5. How can "Estimate Revenue Per Share" be used to evaluate a company's performance?

"Estimate Revenue Per Share" can be used to evaluate a company's performance by comparing it to previous periods or to other companies in the same industry. A higher "Estimate Revenue Per Share" indicates that a company is generating more revenue per share, which can be a positive sign for investors. However, it is important to also consider other financial metrics and factors when evaluating a company's overall performance.