Estimating Displacement of Particle in Brownian Motion

In summary: You're right, the speed of the large particle at time t can be estimated as \frac{\delta p \sqrt{n(t)}}{M} = \frac{\delta p }{M} \sqrt{\frac{t}{\delta t}} . Then \left| x(t) \right| \sim \int_{0}^{t} \left| v(t) \right| dt \sim \delta t \delta v \left(\frac{t}{\delta t}\right)^{3/2} . However, this estimate is probably an overestimate which is where your c \sim 1/
sjweinberg
Suppose I have a large particle of mass [itex]M[/itex] that is randomly emitting small particles. The magnitude of the momenta of the small particles is [itex]\delta p[/itex] (and it is equal for all of them. Each particle is launched in a random direction (in 3 spatial dimensions--although we can work with 1 dimension if it's much easier). Assume also that these particles are emitted at a uniform rate with time [itex]\delta t[/itex] between emissions.

So here's my issue. It seems to me that this is a random walk in momentum space. What I would like to know is how to estimate the displacement of the particle after [itex]N[/itex] particles are pooped out. Thus, I need some way to "integrate the velocity".

However, I want to stress that I only care about an order of magnitude estimate of the displacement here. Has anyone dealt with this kind of a situation?

I appreciate any help greatly!

Physics news on Phys.org
sjweinberg said:
Suppose I have a large particle of mass [itex]M[/itex] that is randomly emitting small particles. The magnitude of the momenta of the small particles is [itex]\delta p[/itex] (and it is equal for all of them. Each particle is launched in a random direction (in 3 spatial dimensions--although we can work with 1 dimension if it's much easier). Assume also that these particles are emitted at a uniform rate with time [itex]\delta t[/itex] between emissions.

So here's my issue. It seems to me that this is a random walk in momentum space. What I would like to know is how to estimate the displacement of the particle after [itex]N[/itex] particles are pooped out. Thus, I need some way to "integrate the velocity".

However, I want to stress that I only care about an order of magnitude estimate of the displacement here. Has anyone dealt with this kind of a situation?

I appreciate any help greatly!

We have the sum of N independent identically distributed random variables so this is going to converge to a Gaussian very quickly, that is with N>30 or so. The momentum will follow 3-D Gaussian with mean of zero, that has got to be available somewhere. (A 2D Gaussian is called a Rayleigh distribution.)

The 1D case will be a binomial distribution that converges to a Gaussian.

ImaLooser said:
We have the sum of N independent identically distributed random variables so this is going to converge to a Gaussian very quickly, that is with N>30 or so. The momentum will follow 3-D Gaussian with mean of zero, that has got to be available somewhere. (A 2D Gaussian is called a Rayleigh distribution.)

The 1D case will be a binomial distribution that converges to a Gaussian.

Thanks for your help.

I am aware that the momentum distribution will converge to a Gaussian of width [itex]\sim \sqrt{N} \delta p[/itex]. However, do you know what this will mean for the position distribution? In other words, I am really interested in the distribution of the quantity [itex]\sum_{i} p(t_{i}) [/itex] where the sum is taken over time steps for the random walk.

My concern is that even though [itex] p [/itex] is expected to be [itex]\sim \sqrt{N} \delta p[/itex] at the end of the walk, I think that the sum may "accelerate" away from the origin because [itex] p [/itex] drifts from its origin.

From a dimensional analysis: ##\overline{|x|}=c~ \delta t~\delta v~ N^\alpha##
A quick simulation indicates ##\alpha \approx 1.5## and ##c\approx 1/2## in the 1-dimensional case. In 3 dimensions, c might be different, while alpha should stay the same.

mfb said:
From a dimensional analysis: ##\overline{|x|}=c~ \delta t~\delta v~ N^\alpha##
A quick simulation indicates ##\alpha \approx 1.5## and ##c\approx 1/2## in the 1-dimensional case. In 3 dimensions, c might be different, while alpha should stay the same.

Thanks for the help. In fact, your estimation of [itex]\alpha = \frac{3}{2}[/itex] is the same thing I estimated with the following sketchy method:

Let [itex]n(t) = \frac{t}{\delta t}[/itex] be the number of particles emitted after time [itex]t[/itex]. Then, the speed of the large particle at time [itex]t[/itex] can be estimated as [itex]\frac{\delta p \sqrt{n(t)}}{M} = \frac{\delta p }{M} \sqrt{\frac{t}{\delta t}} [/itex].

Then [itex] \left| x(t) \right| \sim \int_{0}^{t} \left| v(t) \right| dt \sim \delta t \delta v \left(\frac{t}{\delta t}\right)^{3/2} [/itex].

I feel that this estimate is probably an overestimate which is where your [itex] c \sim 1/2 [/itex] may come from.

Thanks again.

1. What is Brownian motion?

Brownian motion is the random movement of microscopic particles in a fluid due to collisions with other particles. This phenomenon was first observed by Robert Brown in 1827.

2. How is displacement of a particle in Brownian motion estimated?

The displacement of a particle in Brownian motion is typically estimated using mathematical models such as the Langevin equation or the Fokker-Planck equation. These equations take into account factors such as the size and shape of the particle, as well as the properties of the fluid it is immersed in.

3. Can the displacement of a particle in Brownian motion be measured directly?

No, the displacement of a particle in Brownian motion cannot be measured directly. This is because the movement of the particle is random and cannot be predicted or controlled. Instead, it is estimated using mathematical models and statistical analysis.

4. What are some practical applications of estimating displacement in Brownian motion?

Estimating displacement in Brownian motion is important in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology. It can help in understanding the behavior of particles in liquids, developing new materials, and studying biological processes such as diffusion and cell movement.

5. How accurate are the estimates of displacement in Brownian motion?

The accuracy of displacement estimates in Brownian motion depends on various factors such as the model used, the size and shape of the particle, and the properties of the fluid. In general, the estimates are fairly accurate but may have some degree of uncertainty due to the random nature of Brownian motion.