Estimating the Gradient of a Graph: Student's Attempt

In summary, the student picked points (0.9,1.8) which resulted in an estimation of m=2. However, this is an error as the points are not on the tangent line to the given curve.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Draw the tangent to the curve at the point where ##x=1##. Use this tangent to claculate an estimate to the gradient of ##y=2^x## when ##x=1##
Relevant Equations
gradient
Ok this is a question that i am currently marking...the sketch is here;

1669462338489.png

In my mark scheme i have points ##(1,2)## and ##(3,5)## which can be easily picked from the graph to realize an estimate of ##m=1.5## where ##m## is the gradient ...of course i have given a range i.e ##1.6≥m≥1.2##

Now to my question. hmmmmm :wink:

A student picked the points ##(1,2)## and ##(0.9,1.8)## getting ##m=2## ...the difference from actual is quite big...but the points are picked from their straight line...am i missing something here...

Actual gradient using differentiation would be given by;

##\dfrac{dy}{dx}= 2^x\ln 2##

##\dfrac{dy}{dx}[x=1]= 2^1\ln 2=1.386##

Your insight welcome.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the tangent line drawn by the student, or is it printed on the paper?

In any case, I think [itex](0.9, 1.8)[/itex] is visibly below the tangent line in the picture.

pasmith said:
Is the tangent line drawn by the student, or is it printed on the paper?

In any case, I think [itex](0.9, 1.8)[/itex] is visibly below the tangent line in the picture.
Drawn by the student...we would not expect the students to draw this accurately 100%. How do i deal with this? should i increase range of expected values? my thinking is; i cannot penalise the student for having picking those points from their tangent line...and the calculation as per their picked points is correct.

I dont think (0.9, 1.8) is on their tangent line: it's visibly below it. That should result in some loss of marks. If they'd gone with (0.9, 1.85) then they might have a better case.

I just checked the accurate graph on desmos...points ##(0.9,1.85)## would have been fine...

pasmith said:
I dont think (0.9, 1.8) is on their tangent line: it's visibly below it. That should result in some loss of marks. If they'd gone with (0.9, 1.85) then they might have a better case.
Thanks...i agree...i will emphasis the need to try and pick obvious points on the graphs to mitigate this. Cheers great weekend mate!

An additional comment: as a physicist, I would emphasize the large error introduced by picking such a small ##\Delta x##: any error in ##\Delta y## as read off from the graph is multiplied by 10 !

##\ ##

Likes chwala
Notice in general, unless your function is itself linear to start with, the approximation is only local. But if youre just given the point (1,2), there are infinitely-many lines that go through it. The point (0.9, 1.8) defines just one of infinitely-many such lines. Not sure if this addresses your question.

WWGD said:
Notice in general, unless your function is itself linear to start with, the approximation is only local. But if youre just given the point (1,2), there are infinitely-many lines that go through it. The point (0.9, 1.8) defines just one of infinitely-many such lines. Not sure if this addresses your question.
Not sure ...we need points that are on the tangent line and as discussed above, it's clear that ##(0.9,1.8)## is not a point on the tangent line to the given curve ##y=2^x##.

chwala said:
Not sure ...we need points that are on the tangent line and as discussed above, it's clear that ##(0.9,1.8)## is not a point on the tangent line to the given curve ##y=2^x##.
Do you mean at the point (1,2)?

WWGD said:
Do you mean at the point (1,2)?
Yes.

chwala said:
Yes.
Well, the points (1,2) and (0.9, 1.8) defines the line y2=2x, which contrasts with the line
y1-1=1.386(x-2).
Maybe a bound/estimate for |y1-y2| would help explain why the choice of (0.9, 1.8) was not as good. Additionally , comparing it with the choice of {(1,2),(3,5)} which would define the line y3-2=2(x-1).

Maybe we can find a generic value for
|y-y1|, for y=mx+b.
Hope I'm not too far of.

1. What is the gradient of a graph?

The gradient of a graph is a measure of how steeply the graph is increasing or decreasing at a particular point. It is also known as the slope or the rate of change.

2. How do you estimate the gradient of a graph?

To estimate the gradient of a graph, you can choose two points on the graph and calculate the change in the y-values divided by the change in the x-values. This will give you an approximate value for the gradient at that point.

3. Why is estimating the gradient of a graph important?

Estimating the gradient of a graph is important because it allows us to understand the rate of change of a function and make predictions about its behavior. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in various fields of science and engineering.

4. Can the gradient of a graph be negative?

Yes, the gradient of a graph can be negative. This indicates that the graph is decreasing as the x-values increase. A positive gradient indicates that the graph is increasing as the x-values increase.

5. How accurate are estimates of the gradient of a graph?

The accuracy of estimates of the gradient of a graph depends on the number of data points and the smoothness of the graph. The more data points and the smoother the graph, the more accurate the estimate will be. However, it is important to note that estimates are still approximations and may not be exact.