Estimating Torque from Power over Time

In summary, the conversation discusses estimating torque from power and velocity data for an electric motor in a vehicle. The formula for calculating torque is mentioned, but it is suspected that the recorded velocity data may be inaccurate, resulting in an overestimation of torque. The possibility of using the change in power over time to calculate torque is also brought up, but further guidance is needed.
Zipper
I am looking at electric motor performance data for a vehicle motor with a torque limited output that is unknown. The performance of the motor is shown below. The vehicle weighs 2150kg. Is there a way to estimate the torque from the power over time?

I know how to calculate torque at any given time from power and velocity. This result is suspect, likely because the velocity data is rounded integer data and not as accurate.

But intuitively I believe that the torque could be calculated from the change in power over time. Something like change in kinetic energy = average power * time.

Any advice? I have read through several related torque threads here, mostly concerning calculating torque from one point of power and velocity.

upload_2017-9-2_18-9-4.png

upload_2017-9-2_18-7-43.png

Time
Speed (mph) Distance (ft) Power
sec mph ft kW
0.00 0 0.0 48
0.25 6 0.0 109
0.50 11 4.6 196
0.75 18 13.7 250
1.00 23 18.3 342
1.25 30 27.4 401
1.50 34 58.5 489
1.75 41 67.9 528

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the equation relating torque and power? Can you relate speed to it using the physical properties of your device (which you have not provided...)?

The formula I know is Torque = Power / Angular Speed

which in this case for the second sample of 6 mph and 109 kW I believe to be

(109*1000)/((63360*6*9.73)/(60*86.9)*2*PI()/60) or 1467 Nm

where 63360 is inches per mile, 9.73 is the fixed gear ratio, 60 converts hours to minutes and 86.9 is the tire circumference in inches.

But I suspect that this 1467 Nm number overestimates the actual torque because of errors in recorded velocity. I suspect that the final entry of 41 mph and 528 kW which gives 1040 Nm is closer to the actual torque, but that the torque is actually constant for this range and the error in velocity can be worked around by instead using the change in power over time. But I don't know how to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is torque from power over time?

Torque from power over time is a measure of the rotational force exerted on an object over a period of time. It is calculated by dividing the power (measured in watts) by the angular velocity (measured in radians per second).

2. Why is torque from power over time important?

Torque from power over time is important because it helps us understand how much rotational force is being applied to an object and how quickly it is being applied. This is crucial in many mechanical and engineering applications, such as designing motors and measuring the efficiency of machines.

3. How is torque from power over time measured?

Torque from power over time is measured using a dynamometer, which is a device that measures the rotational force of an object. The power and angular velocity values are input into the dynamometer, which then calculates the torque.

4. What factors affect torque from power over time?

The two main factors that affect torque from power over time are the amount of power being applied and the speed at which it is being applied. Other factors that can influence torque include the size and shape of the object, as well as any external forces acting on it.

5. How does torque from power over time differ from torque from force and distance?

Torque from power over time is a measure of the rotational force applied over a period of time, while torque from force and distance is a measure of the rotational force applied at a specific point in time. Additionally, torque from power over time takes into account the speed at which the force is applied, whereas torque from force and distance only considers the distance from the rotational axis.