Ethene + Steam = Ethane and perhaps a magical unknown substance

• Thread starter nobahar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Steam
In summary, ethene reacts with steam to produce ethanol according to the reaction C_2H_4 + H_2O \to C_2H_5OH via an electrophilic addition mechanism. Other major products are unlikely.
nobahar

Homework Statement

Ethene + Steam produces ethanol and...

Homework Equations

CH2=CH2 + H2O ---> CH3-CH2OH or ...

The Attempt at a Solution

Couldn't find anything. I toyed with ethanal but that requires Potassium Dichromate. One 'source' (i.e. yahoo answers (I think)) suggests there is no other product possible.
The question is from a booklet I have.
Any help much sppreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
nobahar said:

Homework Statement

Ethene + Steam produces ethanol and...

Homework Equations

CH2=CH2 + H2O ---> CH3-CH2OH or ...

The Attempt at a Solution

Couldn't find anything. I toyed with ethanal but that requires Potassium Dichromate. One 'source' (i.e. yahoo answers (I think)) suggests there is no other product possible.
The question is from a booklet I have.
Any help much sppreciated.

[tex]C_2H_4 + H_2O \to C_2H_5OH[/tex] looks right via an electrophilic addition mechanism. As to whether any other major products forms is doubtful.

Last edited:
Thats ethanol right? Its the only one I could think of also.
Cool name by the way. Gabriel's horn and Torricelli's trumpet both sound like euphemisms.

Related to Ethene + Steam = Ethane and perhaps a magical unknown substance

1. What is the chemical equation for the reaction between ethene and steam?

The chemical equation for this reaction is C2H4 + H2O → C2H6.

2. How does the reaction between ethene and steam produce ethane?

The reaction between ethene and steam involves the addition of a water molecule to the double bond of ethene, resulting in the formation of ethane.

3. What is the role of steam in this reaction?

Steam serves as a source of the hydrogen atom needed to form ethane. It also helps to break the double bond in ethene, allowing for the addition of the hydrogen atom.

4. What is the "magical unknown substance" that may also be produced in this reaction?

The "magical unknown substance" is likely a byproduct or impurity that may be formed during the reaction between ethene and steam. Without further context or information, it is impossible to determine what this substance may be.

5. Is this reaction reversible?

Yes, the reaction between ethene and steam is reversible. This means that under certain conditions, ethane can be converted back into ethene and water can be produced as a byproduct.

Back