Eugenol and Eugenol acetate reaction questions

• Thread starter TeenieBopper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the given reactions involve the addition of FeCl_3 to eugenol and eugenol acetate. While the reaction with eugenol should result in a color change due to the formation of a complex with Fe, the reaction with eugenol acetate may not produce any observable change due to the absence of phenolic -OH groups.
TeenieBopper

Homework Statement

Complete the following reactions, giving the correct structure for each organic product:
eugenol + FeCl_3 ->

eugenol acetate + FeCl_3 ->

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When I did this lab, my partner and I didn't notice a reaction when we added FeCl_3 to our eugenol product, but that seems too easy; why would they ask what the product is if there wasn't a reaction.

However, both eugenol and eugenol acetate have an alkene. I learned in lecture that when an alkene reacts with a halogen in the presence of a catalyst (Cl_2 and FeCl_3, respectfully) the double bond becomes a single bond and each side takes one of the halogen atoms. So does the alkene end simply become CClH-2-CClH_2 for both eugenol and eugenol acetate?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
TeenieBopper said:
When I did this lab, my partner and I didn't notice a reaction when we added FeCl_3 to our eugenol product, but that seems too easy; why would they ask what the product is if there wasn't a reaction.

Not good, in theory you should observe a color change.

I learned in lecture that when an alkene reacts with a halogen in the presence of a catalyst (Cl_2 and FeCl_3, respectfully)

And you added a halogen?

Borek said:
Not good, in theory you should observe a color change.

Well, the solution with the eugenol products was clear, and the FeCl_3 was yellow, and when we mixed the two, the solution was yellow. I just assumed that it was because of the FeCl_3.
And you added a halogen?

Yeah, this was why I was confused, because we didn't explicitly add a halogen.

I did some more reading, and I found something about Fe reacting and creating complexes with OH groups. Would the product for for Eugenol + FeCl_3 essentially be six pointed star with Fe at the center, bonded with the O from the OH group from the eugenol? And then, because eugenol acetate doesn't have any OH groups, it doesn't react with the FeCl_3?

TeenieBopper said:
Yeah, this was why I was confused, because we didn't explicitly add a halogen.

So if you didn't add the halogen, it couldn't react with a double bond.

I did some more reading, and I found something about Fe reacting and creating complexes with OH groups. Would the product for for Eugenol + FeCl_3 essentially be six pointed star with Fe at the center, bonded with the O from the OH group from the eugenol? And then, because eugenol acetate doesn't have any OH groups, it doesn't react with the FeCl_3?

You are on the right track. Fe(III) should react with phenolic -OH creating a color complex. From what I read, in the case of eugenol color doesn't have to be stable.

As a scientist, it is important to carefully consider the experimental results and potential explanations for them. In this case, it is possible that the FeCl_3 did not react with the eugenol due to various factors such as concentration, temperature, or reaction conditions. It is also possible that the reaction did occur but the product was not easily visible or distinguishable.

Based on the information provided, it is not clear what the expected products would be for the reactions between eugenol and FeCl_3 or eugenol acetate and FeCl_3. It would be helpful to know the specific conditions and reactants used in the experiment to make a more accurate prediction of the products.

In general, reactions between alkenes and halogens in the presence of a catalyst can result in the formation of halogenated compounds. However, the specific products will depend on the structure and reactivity of the starting materials.

Further experimentation and analysis may be necessary to determine the exact products of these reactions. It may also be helpful to consult additional resources or experts in the field for more information on the expected outcomes of these reactions.

Related to Eugenol and Eugenol acetate reaction questions

1. What is eugenol and eugenol acetate?

Eugenol and eugenol acetate are organic compounds commonly found in essential oils, specifically in cloves, cinnamon, and bay leaves. They are known for their strong, spicy, and clove-like aroma.

2. What is the reaction between eugenol and eugenol acetate?

The reaction between eugenol and eugenol acetate is an esterification reaction, where the hydroxyl group (-OH) of eugenol reacts with the acetyl group (-COCH3) of eugenol acetate to form a new compound called eugenyl acetate and water.

3. What are the uses of eugenol and eugenol acetate?

Eugenol and eugenol acetate have a wide range of uses in various industries. They are commonly used as flavorings in food and beverages, as fragrances in perfumes and cosmetics, and as antiseptics and pain relievers in medicine. They are also used in the production of plastics, resins, and pesticides.

4. Are there any safety concerns with eugenol and eugenol acetate?

While eugenol and eugenol acetate are generally considered safe, they can cause irritation to the skin and mucous membranes if used in high concentrations. They should also be used with caution in pregnant women and individuals with allergies or asthma.

5. Can eugenol and eugenol acetate be found in nature?

Yes, eugenol and eugenol acetate are naturally occurring compounds found in various plants, including cloves, cinnamon, and bay leaves. They can also be produced synthetically in a laboratory setting.