Euler angles in torque free precession of a symmetric top

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility and convenience of calculating Euler angles analytically and validates the results with numerical methods. It also mentions a complete treatment in both non-holonomic and holonomic coordinates and the alignment of the Z-axis with the constant angular momentum vector. The conversation concludes with an appreciation for the approach presented.
riveay
Is calculating the Euler angles analitically possible?

I am trying to obtain the angles to transform the body-fixed reference frame to the inertial reference frame. I can get them without problems with numerical methods. But I would to validate them analitically, if possible.

I followed the steps by Landau & Lifshitz (https://archive.org/stream/Mechanics_541/LandauLifshitz-Mechanics#page/n123/mode/2up) and found the angular velocity in the body frame. Which is also here.

Now, I understand that when the angular momentum vector is aligned with the inertial Z axis, then the angle rates are:

$$ \dot{\theta} = 0 $$ $$ \dot{\phi} = M/I_1 $$ $$ \dot{\psi} = M\cos \theta (1/I_3 - 1/I_1) $$

But what if the angular momentum and the Z axes are not aligned? When this happens, ##\theta## stops being constant, doesn't it?

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The angular momentum of the spinning top is constant in the inertial frame, and for the standard Euler angles, as depicted in

http://theory.gsi.de/~vanhees/faq/mech/node22.html

it's most convenient to choice the basis fixed in the inertial system such that the angular momentum is pointing in ##z## direction.

You can find a complete treatment in a mixed form using both the Euler equations for the free top (non-holonomic coordinates) and the Euler angles (holonomic coordinates) in (sorry, I have this written up in German only yet):

http://theory.gsi.de/~vanhees/faq/mech/node78.html

vanhees71 said:
it's most convenient to choice the basis fixed in the inertial system such that the angular momentum is pointing in ##z## direction.

I understand. My problem is that I'm trying to validate the results of a simulation that is constrained to the Euler angle equations where both the Z and e3 axes are parallel.

vanhees71 said:
You can find a complete treatment in a mixed form using both the Euler equations for the free top (non-holonomic coordinates) and the Euler angles (holonomic coordinates) in (sorry, I have this written up in German only yet):

http://theory.gsi.de/~vanhees/faq/mech/node78.html

My german is not that good, but from what I understand, your approach also aligns the Z axis with the constant angular momentum vector and derives the angular velocity from it, doesn't it?

I find that approach interesting.

Thanks for the help.

Yes, sure. The reason is that the choice of the ##z##-axis of the inertial system in direction of the angular momentum (which is conserved in this system) is particularly convenient, because of the choice of the ##3## axis in the rotations defining the Euler angle. For the same reason, it's also convenient to put the figure axis of the symmetric top in the direction of the ##z'##-axis of the body-fixed frame.

1. What are Euler angles in torque free precession of a symmetric top?

Euler angles are a set of three angles that describe the orientation of a rigid body in three-dimensional space. In the context of torque-free precession of a symmetric top, they are used to describe the rotation of a symmetric top around its principal axes.

2. How are Euler angles used in the study of torque-free precession of a symmetric top?

Euler angles are used to mathematically represent the orientation of a symmetric top as it undergoes torque-free precession. They allow us to calculate the angular velocity and angular momentum of the top at any given time during precession.

3. What is the significance of torque-free precession of a symmetric top in physics?

Torque-free precession of a symmetric top is an important concept in physics because it allows us to understand and predict the motion of rotating bodies in the absence of external forces. This has applications in fields such as astrodynamics, where the motion of planets and satellites can be described using this concept.

4. Are there any limitations to using Euler angles in the study of torque-free precession of a symmetric top?

While Euler angles are a useful mathematical tool, they have some limitations in describing the motion of a symmetric top. For example, they cannot fully describe the motion of a top that is undergoing nutation (small periodic oscillations) or tumbling (irregular motion).

5. How do Euler angles relate to other concepts in mechanics, such as angular velocity and torque?

Euler angles are closely related to other concepts in mechanics, such as angular velocity and torque. They are used to calculate the angular velocity of a symmetric top, and they can also be used to determine the net torque acting on the top at any given time during precession. Additionally, they are used in the study of rotational dynamics and rigid body motion.