Euler Characteristic of the Projective plane and sphere?

In summary: So, when I was looking at this, it occurred to me that the Euler characteristic of the sphere might be 2, because that's what the Euler characteristic of a disk is, and the projective plane is just a square with the edges all identified in the same way. But I wanted to be sure, so I asked.
PsychonautQQ
The Euler Characterist of the projective plane and sphere is given by V - E + F. V is vertices, E is edges, F is faces.

A presentation of the projective plane is {a | aa} and a presentation of the sphere is {b | bb^1}
Yet the Euler characteristic is 2 for the sphere and 2-n for the connected sum of n protective planes. So one projective plane should have euler characteristic of 1. Looking at these manifolds as equivalences on the closed disk, it seems that their Euler characteristic should be the same. They both have 2 vertices, 2 edges, and 1 face. Or perhaps since the edges are identified together there is only 1 edge, and perhaps for the sphere you have to count both side of the disc as a face...

Can somebody clarify this?

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:
The Euler Characterist of the projective plane and sphere is given by V - E + F. V is vertices, E is edges, F is faces.

A presentation of the projective plane is {a | aa} and a presentation of the sphere is {b | bb^1}
Yet the Euler characteristic is 2 for the sphere and 2-n for the connected sum of n protective planes. So one projective plane should have euler characteristic of 1. Looking at these manifolds as equivalences on the closed disk, it seems that their Euler characteristic should be the same. They both have 2 vertices, 2 edges, and 1 face. Or perhaps since the edges are identified together there is only 1 edge, and perhaps for the sphere you have to count both side of the disc as a face...

Can somebody clarify this?
Not sure what you mean by presentation. Can you explain it?

A sphere is a closed disk with its boundary identified to a point. This is one 2 cell and one 0 cell - no 1 cells.

A projective plane is a square(a square is homeomorphic to a closed disk) with both pairs of opposite edges identified with a half twist (double Mobius band). This leaves one 2 cell, two 0 cells and 2 edges.

I think the simplest triangulation of a sphere is a tetrahedron. This has four vertices, four faces, and six edges.

One way to triangulate the projective plane is to start with a triangulation of the sphere that is invariant under the antipodal map. Modding out by the antipodal map divides the number of vertices, edges, and faces by two.

Last edited:
Likes PsychonautQQ
an equivalent way to view lavinia's last remark is to note that since the sphere is a double cover of the projective plane, any triangulation of that plane by small triangles pulls back to a triangulation of the sphere with twice as many vertices, edges and faces. Hence the euler characteristic of the sphere must be double that of the projective plane.

Likes PsychonautQQ and lavinia
Thanks guys! I was getting confused I guess because I was trying to understand Euler's Characteristic of a sphere by looking at a picture of a closed disk with a point on top and bottom, and arrows running up either side to indicate orientation of how the edges are identified.

1. What is the Euler Characteristic of the projective plane?

The Euler characteristic of the projective plane, also known as the real projective plane, is equal to 1. This means that the projective plane has one face, one edge, and one vertex. In other words, it is a closed surface with no holes.

2. How is the Euler Characteristic of the projective plane calculated?

The Euler Characteristic of any surface can be calculated using the formula: V - E + F = 2, where V is the number of vertices, E is the number of edges, and F is the number of faces. In the case of the projective plane, since it has one face, one edge, and one vertex, the calculation would be: 1 - 1 + 1 = 1.

3. What is the significance of the Euler Characteristic of the projective plane?

The Euler Characteristic is a topological invariant, meaning it does not change even if the shape of the surface is distorted. Therefore, the Euler Characteristic of the projective plane can be used to classify and distinguish it from other surfaces. It also has applications in fields such as physics and computer graphics.

4. What is the Euler Characteristic of the sphere?

The Euler Characteristic of the sphere is 2. This means that the sphere has 2 faces, 0 edges, and 0 vertices. This is because the sphere is a closed surface with no holes or boundaries.

5. How does the Euler Characteristic of the projective plane differ from that of the sphere?

The Euler Characteristic of the projective plane and the sphere differ in that the sphere has 2 faces while the projective plane has only 1 face. This is due to the fact that the projective plane is a non-orientable surface, meaning it cannot be made into a flat surface without tearing or distorting it. On the other hand, the sphere is a closed, orientable surface, which can be flattened without any distortions.