Euler's equation of thermodynamics in free expansion (Joule expansion)

In summary: Thank you for your reply! I checked again Euler's equation writes U=-PV+TS+##\mu## N, previously I missed the chemical potential term, it turns out that in the case of free expansion of V->2V, although ##\Delta## (-PV)=0, while ##\Delta (TS)=nrT ln(2)##, the chemical potential decreases! ##\Delta (\mu N)= -nRT ln(2)##, exactly cancels out the## \Delta (TS) ##term such that the internal energy indeed remains unchanged after the free expansion.
Ron19932017
Hi everyone,
I am confused when I apply Euler's equation on the free expansion of an ideal gas.

Consider a free expansion (expansion of gas in vaccum) where the volume is doubled (V->2V)
The classical free expansion of an ideal gas results in increase in entropy by an amount of nR ln(2), a decrease in pressure (P->P/2), and the temperature T is constant.

The Euler equation of thermodynamics writes U=-PV+TS.
Before free expansion S=(U+PV)/T.
After free expansion S=(U+(P/2)(2V))/T.
It looks like that from Euler equation the entropy should remain unchange.
However it must not be the case from what we know about free expansion.

Can anyone give me some clue where am i wrong?

Science news on Phys.org
Where did you get U = -PV+TS, because, according to my understanding, the Gibbs free energy is defined as G=U-TS+PV and it is not zero nor is its change zero in free expansion. In free expansion, its change is ##-nRT\ln{2}##

Chestermiller said:
Where did you get U = -PV+TS, because, according to my understanding, the Gibbs free energy is defined as G=U-TS+PV and it is not zero nor is its change zero in free expansion. In free expansion, its change is ##-nRT\ln{2}##
The equation U=-PV+TS is called Euler's equation, and is derived from the homogenous property of extensive variables. Start with a chamber of gas with a state of (P,V,T), consider the first law of thermodynamics, dU=-PdV+TdS,
when we homogeneously increase volume and entropy (extensive variables) by 10% and keeping pressure and
temperature (intensive variables) constant, the internal energy U, an extensive variable, should change accordingly by 10%. Then U(final)=1.1U(initial), 0.1U=-P(0.1V)+Td(0.1S), U=-PV+TS.

Ron19932017 said:
The equation U=-PV+TS is called Euler's equation, and is derived from the homogenous property of extensive variables. Start with a chamber of gas with a state of (P,V,T), consider the first law of thermodynamics, dU=-PdV+TdS,
when we homogeneously increase volume and entropy (extensive variables) by 10% and keeping pressure and
temperature (intensive variables) constant, the internal energy U, an extensive variable, should change accordingly by 10%. Then U(final)=1.1U(initial), 0.1U=-P(0.1V)+Td(0.1S), U=-PV+TS.
The state of a closed system is determined by specifying 2 parameters. Once the pressure and temperature are specified, none of the other parameters can change. The equation of state for the gas, P=P(V,T) (for fixed mass) tells you once pressure and temperature are fixed, the volume can't change.

Likes Ron19932017 and etotheipi
Chestermiller said:
The state of a closed system is determined by specifying 2 parameters. Once the pressure and temperature are specified, none of the other parameters can change. The equation of state for the gas, P=P(V,T) (for fixed mass) tells you once pressure and temperature are fixed, the volume can't change.
Thank you for your reply! I checked again Euler's equation writes U=-PV+TS+##\mu## N, previously I missed the chemical potential term, it turns out that in the case of free expansion of V->2V, although ##\Delta## (-PV)=0, while ##\Delta (TS)=nrT ln(2)##, the chemical potential decreases! ##\Delta (\mu N)= -nRT ln(2)##, exactly cancels out the## \Delta (TS) ##term such that the internal energy indeed remains unchanged after the free expansion.

1. What is Euler's equation of thermodynamics in free expansion?

Euler's equation of thermodynamics in free expansion, also known as Joule expansion, is a mathematical expression that relates the change in internal energy of a gas to the work done on the gas during a free expansion process. It is represented as ΔU = 0, where ΔU is the change in internal energy and 0 represents the absence of work done.

2. How is Euler's equation of thermodynamics derived?

Euler's equation of thermodynamics is derived from the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. In the case of a free expansion process, no work is done, therefore ΔU = Q - 0, which simplifies to ΔU = Q.

3. What is the significance of Euler's equation of thermodynamics in free expansion?

Euler's equation of thermodynamics is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of gases during free expansion processes. It tells us that the internal energy of a gas remains constant during a free expansion, regardless of the volume change. This is because no work is done on the gas, and therefore, the energy of the gas is conserved.

4. Can Euler's equation of thermodynamics be applied to all gases?

Yes, Euler's equation of thermodynamics can be applied to all gases, as long as the gas behaves ideally. In an ideal gas, the internal energy is solely dependent on the temperature of the gas, and therefore, it remains constant during a free expansion process.

5. How is Euler's equation of thermodynamics related to the second law of thermodynamics?

Euler's equation of thermodynamics is related to the second law of thermodynamics in the sense that it is a consequence of the second law. The second law states that in any spontaneous process, the total entropy of the universe increases. In a free expansion process, the entropy of the gas remains constant, while the entropy of the surroundings (the universe) increases. Therefore, Euler's equation of thermodynamics is a manifestation of the second law of thermodynamics.