Evaluate scalar triple products

• Thread starter DryRun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scalar
In summary, the conversation is about determining the triple product of two vectors in R4 and the confusion surrounding how to evaluate a 3x3 determinant when the vectors are presented in a 4-dimensional space. The suggestion is to refer to the wiki page for the definition of triple product in R4.
DryRun
Gold Member
http://s2.ipicture.ru/uploads/20111115/BiYq94IS.jpg

Here is the determinant for axb:
w x y z
1 -2 3 -4
-1 2 4 -5

Then, how to proceed?? Can someone please help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My confusion is how to get a 3x3 determinant when the vectors a, b and c are presented as being in R^4.
For example, when i make the determinant for c.(axb), i get:

c1 c2 c3 c4
a1 a2 a3 a4
b1 b2 b3 b4

But it's not possible to evaluate such a 3x4 determinant, right? And the question is requesting that i evaluate a 3x3 determinant.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I guess the question is "How is the triple product of two vectors defined in R4"?

I honestly have no idea, but this is really the entire question:
http://s2.ipicture.ru/uploads/20111115/BiYq94IS.jpg

Related to Evaluate scalar triple products

1. What is a scalar triple product?

A scalar triple product is a mathematical operation that involves three vectors, and results in a single scalar value. It is calculated by taking the dot product of one vector with the cross product of the other two vectors.

2. How do you evaluate a scalar triple product?

To evaluate a scalar triple product, you first need to calculate the cross product of two of the vectors. Then, take the dot product of this cross product with the third vector. The resulting value is the scalar triple product.

3. What is the significance of scalar triple products?

Scalar triple products are useful in geometry and physics, as they can be used to calculate the volume of a parallelepiped formed by three vectors. They are also used in determining the orientation of three points in space.

4. Are there any properties of scalar triple products?

Yes, there are several properties of scalar triple products. One is that they are associative, meaning that the order in which the vectors are multiplied does not affect the result. Another is that the scalar triple product of three perpendicular vectors is equal to the product of their magnitudes.

5. Can you give an example of a real-world application of scalar triple products?

One example of a real-world application of scalar triple products is in calculating the torque (rotational force) exerted on an object. The torque is equal to the magnitude of the cross product of the position vector and the force vector, multiplied by the sine of the angle between them. This can be written as a scalar triple product, and is used in fields such as engineering and physics.