Evaluate the integral ∫[arctan(ax)−arctan(bx)]/xdx

• MHB
  • Thread starter lfdahl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the purpose of evaluating this integral is to determine the area bounded by the curves of the functions arctan(ax) and arctan(bx) and the x-axis, over a specified range of x values. The domain of this integral is all real numbers except for x = 0, as division by zero is undefined. This integral can be solved using integration by parts, where u = arctan(ax)−arctan(bx) and dv = 1/x dx. There is a special case for this integral where a = b, in which case it simplifies to ∫1/xdx and has a solution of ln|x| + C. This integral has various applications in physics, engineering,
lfdahl
Gold Member
MHB
Evaluate the integral:

\[ \int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\arctan(ax)-\arctan(bx)}{x}dx\]

where $a,b \in \mathbb{R}_+$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's been a while since I've done one of these challenges. :D Here is my solution.

The answer is $\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{2}\ln\frac{a}{b}$. Note

$$\arctan(ax) - \arctan(bx) = \int_b^a \frac{x}{1 + (tx)^2}\, dt$$

Fubini's theorem allows us to write

$$\int_0^\infty \frac{\arctan(ax) - \arctan(bx)}{x}\, dx = \int_b^a \int_0^\infty \frac{dt}{1 + (tx)^2}\, dx$$

This is justified as

$$\int_1^\infty \frac{dt}{1 + (tx)^2} < \int_1^\infty \frac{dt}{t^2x^2} = \frac{1}{x^2}$$ and $\displaystyle \int_b^a \frac{dx}{x^2} < \infty$.

Now

$$\int_0^\infty \frac{dt}{1 + (tx)^2} = \frac{\arctan(tx)}{x}\bigg|_{t = 0}^\infty = \frac{\pi}{2x}$$ and $\displaystyle\int_b^a \frac{\pi}{2x}\, dx = \frac{\pi}{2}\ln\frac{a}{b}$. Therefore

$$\int_0^\infty \frac{\arctan(ax) - \arctan(bx)}{x}\, dx = \frac{\pi}{2}\ln\frac{a}{b}$$

Euge said:
It's been a while since I've done one of these challenges. :D Here is my solution.

The answer is $\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{2}\ln\frac{a}{b}$. Note

$$\arctan(ax) - \arctan(bx) = \int_b^a \frac{x}{1 + (tx)^2}\, dt$$

Fubini's theorem allows us to write

$$\int_0^\infty \frac{\arctan(ax) - \arctan(bx)}{x}\, dx = \int_b^a \int_0^\infty \frac{dt}{1 + (tx)^2}\, dx$$

This is justified as

$$\int_1^\infty \frac{dt}{1 + (tx)^2} < \int_1^\infty \frac{dt}{t^2x^2} = \frac{1}{x^2}$$ and $\displaystyle \int_b^a \frac{dx}{x^2} < \infty$.

Now

$$\int_0^\infty \frac{dt}{1 + (tx)^2} = \frac{\arctan(tx)}{x}\bigg|_{t = 0}^\infty = \frac{\pi}{2x}$$ and $\displaystyle\int_b^a \frac{\pi}{2x}\, dx = \frac{\pi}{2}\ln\frac{a}{b}$. Therefore

$$\int_0^\infty \frac{\arctan(ax) - \arctan(bx)}{x}\, dx = \frac{\pi}{2}\ln\frac{a}{b}$$

Excellent, Euge! Thankyou very much for your participation!:cool:

1. What is the purpose of evaluating this integral?

The purpose of evaluating this integral is to determine the area bounded by the curves of the functions arctan(ax) and arctan(bx) and the x-axis, over a specified range of x values.

2. What is the domain of this integral?

The domain of this integral is all real numbers except for x = 0, as division by zero is undefined.

3. How can I solve this integral?

This integral can be solved using integration by parts, where u = arctan(ax)−arctan(bx) and dv = 1/x dx.

4. Are there any special cases for this integral?

Yes, if a = b, the integral simplifies to ∫1/xdx, which has a solution of ln|x| + C.

5. What are the applications of this integral in real life?

This integral has various applications in physics, engineering, and economics, where it can be used to determine the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of an object, or to calculate the total profit or loss in a business over a given time period.