Evaluating inverse trig function

In summary, the conversation is about evaluating the inverse trig function sin^-1 (1/ sqrt(2)). The person is unsure how to approach the problem and asks for guidance. The expert suggests looking for an angle in the first quadrant whose sine is 1/sqrt(2) and explains how to rationalize the denominator to simplify the expression.
cue928

Homework Statement

We are being asked to evaluate the inverse trig function sin^-1 (1/ sqrt(2)).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue where to start. I have the unit circle, which makes sense to me if it was a trig function of a trig function, but when it's a trig function of a number not listed in a common unit circle diagram, I am thrown. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
cue928 said:

Homework Statement

We are being asked to evaluate the inverse trig function sin^-1 (1/ sqrt(2)).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue where to start. I have the unit circle, which makes sense to me if it was a trig function of a trig function, but when it's a trig function of a number not listed in a common unit circle diagram, I am thrown. Any guidance would be appreciated.

x = sin-1(1/sqrt(2)) <==> sin(x) = 1/sqrt(2)
Can you think of any angle in the first quadrant whose sine is 1/sqrt(2)?

Mark44 said:
x = sin-1(1/sqrt(2)) <==> sin(x) = 1/sqrt(2)
Can you think of any angle in the first quadrant whose sine is 1/sqrt(2)?

The closest thing I saw was pi/4, but the sine there was root(2)/2. That's what the book shows but I don't see how they get that. I am really deficient in trig ;/

They are the same. That's not a trig issue, it's an algebra issue.
[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/tex]
Radical expressions aren't considered simplified if there is a radical in the denominator of a fraction. So one can rationalize the denominator (you can look it up).

Thank you.

Related to Evaluating inverse trig function

What is an inverse trig function?

An inverse trig function is a mathematical function that undoes the effect of a trigonometric function. It takes the output of a trig function and returns the angle that produced that output.

Why is it important to evaluate inverse trig functions?

Evaluating inverse trig functions is important because they allow us to solve trigonometric equations and find unknown angles in a variety of real-world problems, such as in geometry and physics.

What are the common inverse trig functions?

The common inverse trig functions are arcsine (sin-1), arccosine (cos-1), and arctangent (tan-1). These functions are the inverse of sine, cosine, and tangent, respectively.

How do you evaluate an inverse trig function?

To evaluate an inverse trig function, you need to use a calculator or a trigonometric table. Simply input the value of the trig function and then use the inverse trig function buttons to find the angle in either degrees or radians.

What are some important properties of inverse trig functions?

Some important properties of inverse trig functions include the following:

• The range of all inverse trig functions is restricted, depending on the function.
  • The domain of all inverse trig functions is restricted to certain intervals.
  • The inverse of a trig function is not necessarily the reciprocal of the trig function.
  • The derivative of an inverse trig function can be expressed in terms of the original trig function.