Evaluating Logarithmic Integral with Cosine and Sine Integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of the integral \int\frac{dx}{\ln x} by substituting x=e^{i\theta} and using cosine and sine integrals. However, the substitution leads to a contour integral and the need to consider the singularity at x=1. The conversation also mentions an identity listed on the Mathematica functions site and the importance of paying attention to the limits of integration.
pseudogenius
I was trying to evaluate this integral,

[tex]\int\frac{dx}{\ln x}[/tex]

I substituted [tex]x=e^{i\theta}[/tex] and I get,

[tex]\int\frac{e^{i\theta}}{\theta}d\theta[/tex]

which is,

[tex]\int\frac{\cos \theta}{\theta}+i\frac{\sin \theta}{\theta} \ d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\int\frac{\cos \theta}{\theta} \ d\theta+i\int\frac{\sin \theta}{\theta} \ d\theta[/tex]

[tex]Ci(\theta)+i \ Si(\theta)[/tex]

[tex]Ci(\theta)[/tex] and [tex]Si(\theta)[/tex] are the cosine and sine integrals, respectively.

therefore,

[tex]\int\frac{dx}{\ln x}=Ci(-i\ln x)+i \ Si(-i\ln x)[/tex]

I was just asking if anybody has seen the logarithmic integral( [tex]li(x)[/tex] ) expressed this way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting. The Mathematica functions site (http://functions.wolfram.com/GammaBetaErf/LogIntegral/27/01/0003/) lists the following identity:

[tex] \text{li}(z)=\text{Ci}(i \log (z))-i\text{ Si}(i \log (z))-\log (i
\log (z))+\frac{1}{2} \left(\log (\log (z))-\log
\left(\frac{1}{\log (z)}\right)\right) [/tex]

This contains your two terms but has some added terms. I'm not sure why.

Pay attention to limits of integration.

Your first integral is from 0 to x, but your substitution means that your second integral is now a contour integral over from [itex]-i \ln{x}[/itex] to [itex]i\infty[/itex]. So, you can't use cosine and sine integrals already. An added difficulty is that 1/ln(x) has a singularity at x=1, and, consequently, [itex]e^{i\theta}/{\theta}[/itex] has a singularity at 0. You need to think how to do the contour integral so that the result matches the Cauchy principal value of your original integral.

1. What is the formula for evaluating the logarithmic integral with cosine and sine integrals?

The formula for evaluating the logarithmic integral with cosine and sine integrals is given by:
∫ln(x)[cos(x)]dx = x*ln(x)*cos(x) - x + C
∫ln(x)[sin(x)]dx = x*ln(x)*sin(x) + cos(x) + C
where C is the constant of integration.

2. How do you solve logarithmic integrals with cosine and sine integrals?

To solve logarithmic integrals with cosine and sine integrals, the first step is to use the formula mentioned above. Then, you can integrate by parts or use substitution to simplify the integral. After simplifying, you can use integration techniques such as u-substitution or trigonometric identities to evaluate the integral.

3. When should logarithmic integrals with cosine and sine integrals be used?

Logarithmic integrals with cosine and sine integrals are typically used when dealing with logarithmic functions that involve trigonometric functions. They can also be used to find areas under curves or to solve differential equations.

4. Can logarithmic integrals with cosine and sine integrals be evaluated numerically?

Yes, logarithmic integrals with cosine and sine integrals can be evaluated numerically using numerical integration methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. However, these methods may not always provide exact solutions and may be less accurate compared to analytical methods.

5. Are there any applications of logarithmic integrals with cosine and sine integrals in real life?

Yes, logarithmic integrals with cosine and sine integrals have various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to model various physical phenomena such as electrical circuits, oscillating systems, and radioactive decay. They are also used in signal processing to analyze and manipulate signals. Additionally, they have applications in statistics for estimating probabilities and in finance for modeling interest rates.