Evaluating Total Error for Continuous Functions f and g

In summary, the total error between two functions f and g can be calculated by taking the absolute value of their differences at specific points and summing them. This can be done by integrating the absolute value of the difference between the two functions over a certain interval, or by using other norms such as the maximum or Lp norm. However, simply measuring the area between the curves may not always accurately reflect the error, as it depends on the chosen interval and norm. Other methods, such as using the distance from linear algebra, could also be used to measure the error, but may not always be necessary.
RaduAndrei
Consider two functions f, g that take on values at t=0, t=1, t=2.

Then the total error between them is:

total error = mod(f(0)-g(0)) + mod(f(1)-g(1)) + mod(f(2)-g(2))

where mod is short for module.

This seems reasonable enough.

Now, consider the two functions to be continuous on [0,2].
What is the total error now?

My guess is that it is the integral of the absolute value of their difference divided by the length of the interval:
total error =1/2 * integral from 0 to 2 of mod(f(x)-g(x)) dx

Is this right?

Or is the error evaluation done in a different way?

Physics news on Phys.org
RaduAndrei said:
Thinking about it, measuring the error between the curves using the area between them is good enough.

If [itex]f(x) = 10^7 \sin \pi x[/itex] and [itex]g(x) = 0[/itex] then [tex]\int_0^2 f(x) - g(x)\,dx = 0.[/tex] Does it seem reasonable to say that the error between [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex] is zero?

Errors should be defined in terms of norms. There are many norms one can place on the space of continuous functions on [itex][0,2][/itex], for example [tex]
\|f\|_{\infty} = \max \{|f(x)| : x \in [0,2]\}[/tex] or [tex]
\|f\|_p = \left( \int_0^2 |f(x)|^p\,dx \right)^{1/p},\quad p \geq 1.
[/tex]

No. I take the module. I integrate the module. I specified this in the first post.

It is not zero if integrating the absolute value.

RaduAndrei said:
No. I take the module. I integrate the module. I specified this in the first post.

You then say "measuring the error between the curves using the area between them" - ie [itex]\int_0^2 f(x) - g(x)\,dx[/itex] - "is good enough", which of course it isn't.

What if I do the following thing.

So, consider the function f(x) that takes on values at x=0, x=1, x=2. So the space between two points on the x-axis is 1.
And I want to sum the values:
sum = f(0)+f(1)+f(2)

Now, I want to make the space between the points infinitesimally small. For this I write like this:
sum = f(0) + f(0+Dx) + f(0+2Dx) where Dx = 1
And I make Dx to go to 0. Thus:

sum = f(0) + f(0+dx) + f(0+2dx)
And I sum like this from x = 0 to x = 2.

Then I do this for mod(f(x)-g(x)). So I sum the absolute value of their differences at each point dx on the x axis. Would this work? Something similar is made when going from Fourier series to Fourier transform.

I mean, the sum would have to be infinite. But, in theory, I think it is correct.
Or not. If it is infinite, who decides that it should stop at x=2 or x=10. For both it is sum from k=0 to inf of f(k*dx). I don't know.

Last edited:
pasmith said:
You then say "measuring the error between the curves using the area between them" - ie [itex]\int_0^2 f(x) - g(x)\,dx[/itex] - "is good enough", which of course it isn't.

The absolute value of the area. It was self-implied from the first post.

1. What is total error in the context of continuous functions f and g?

Total error is a measure of how much the output of a function deviates from the actual or expected value. In the context of continuous functions f and g, it refers to the overall discrepancy between the values of these functions and their respective true values.

2. How is total error calculated for continuous functions f and g?

The total error for continuous functions f and g is calculated by taking the absolute difference between the values of the functions and their expected or true values at different points, and then integrating this difference over the entire domain of the function.

3. What factors can contribute to total error for continuous functions f and g?

There are several factors that can contribute to total error for continuous functions f and g. These include errors in measurement or data collection, approximation errors in the calculation of derivatives or integrals, and errors in the assumptions made about the functions.

4. How can total error be minimized for continuous functions f and g?

Total error for continuous functions f and g can be minimized by using more accurate methods for measuring or collecting data, using higher precision in calculations, and minimizing the number of assumptions made about the functions.

5. Why is evaluating total error important for continuous functions f and g?

Evaluating total error is important for continuous functions f and g because it allows for the assessment of the accuracy and reliability of these functions. It also helps in identifying areas of the function where the error is highest, which can guide improvements in data collection or calculation methods.