Evaporation of water from non polar surfaces

In summary, adding plastic ware to an otherwise fixed dishwasher load increases the drying time. This is probably because the plasticware retains the heat of the wash water more effectively than the glass or ceramicware.
William Jackson
I'm puzzled by a phenomenon that my daughter pointed out to me. If you have no plastic ware in the dishwasher, your glass and ceramic dishes will dry faster. Slow evaporation from plastic is easy to understand; the water beads up and presents a smaller surface area.
What I'm not clear on is why plastic ware increases the drying time, even for the glassware, when there doesn't seem to be any difference in the overall amount of water remaining after the wash.

Science news on Phys.org
I think I'd need to hear some details about your experiments and some quantitative results before I'd be willing to grant that it is even happening, let alone speculate about what might be causing it.

Not that I doubt you, it's just that I'm a guy who likes details. eg. How much longer?

I've never done a quantitative measurement. It would be necessary to use the identical load (except for exchanging the plastic ware with a similar surface of non-plastic), same water temperature and same ambient R.H. Humidity obviously varies with kitchen activity, outside conditions, and whether the forced air heat is on. But it's easy to measure with a couple of thermometers on a string.
It would be interesting to do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

That's exactly what I was thinking - it's not an easy thing to analyze.

So, my question is: how can you be sure it's true? How can your daughter be sure it's true?

William Jackson said:
I'm puzzled by a phenomenon that my daughter pointed out to me. If you have no plastic ware in the dishwasher, your glass and ceramic dishes will dry faster. Slow evaporation from plastic is easy to understand; the water beads up and presents a smaller surface area.
What I'm not clear on is why plastic ware increases the drying time, even for the glassware, when there doesn't seem to be any difference in the overall amount of water remaining after the wash.

Here's a hypothesis:
- The amount of water that has to be removed by evaporation during the drying process is proportional to the total surface area (dishes plus interior surfaces of the dishwasher) because water clings to these surfaces.
- The rate at which the water is removed depends on the temperature inside the dishwasher
- The ceramic and glassware retain the heat of the wash water more effectively than plastic, both because they have more mass and a higher specific heat, so maintain the interior at a higher heat for longer.
Therefore, adding plastic items to the load will increase the amount of water that has to be evaporated without commensurately increasing the heat that speeds the evaporation along.

This is a hypothesis, may or may not be right. Indeed, as DaveC suggests, the first step should be to test the null hypothesis, namely "adding plasticware to an otherwise fixed dishwasher load has no effect on the drying time"; if you cannot falsify that hypothesis, subsequent experiments will be futile.

This is the sort of thing that you can have a lot of fun with.

Related to Evaporation of water from non polar surfaces

What is evaporation?

Evaporation is the process by which a liquid, such as water, changes from its liquid state to a gas state, known as water vapor. This occurs when the molecules of the liquid gain enough energy to break free and escape into the surrounding air.

What is a non polar surface?

A non polar surface is a material or substance that does not have a positive or negative charge distribution across its molecules. This means that the surface does not attract or repel charged particles, such as water molecules, and therefore does not influence the process of evaporation.

How does evaporation occur on non polar surfaces?

Evaporation on non polar surfaces occurs through the same process as on any other surface. The water molecules gain energy from the surrounding environment, causing them to move faster and eventually break free from the liquid and form water vapor. The lack of polarity on the surface does not affect this process.

Is evaporation faster on non polar surfaces?

No, evaporation occurs at the same rate on non polar surfaces as it does on any other surface. The rate of evaporation is primarily dependent on factors such as temperature, humidity, and air flow, rather than the polarity of the surface.

Can non polar surfaces prevent evaporation?

No, non polar surfaces cannot prevent evaporation. As long as there is enough energy present in the environment, water molecules will eventually evaporate regardless of the surface they are on. However, non polar surfaces may slow down the rate of evaporation due to their lack of polarity.