Example of how a rotation matrix preserves symmetry of PDE

In summary: If you do type up a response, please, if you can, keep it simple. It would help me a lot.In summary, Lie developed Lie Groups to study symmetries of PDE's. One example of a symmetry that can be used to reduce the number of solutions to a problem is to use the symmetries of a Sturm-Liouville problem.
JTC
Good Day

I have been having a hellish time connection Lie Algebra, Lie Groups, Differential Geometry, etc.
But I am making a lot of progress.

There is, however, one issue that continues to elude me.

I often read how Lie developed Lie Groups to study symmetries of PDE's

May I ask if someone could exemplify this with a very simple, concrete example?

For example, I understand orthogonal matrices (Lie Groups) and how their basis is skew symmetric matrices as generators (Lie Algebras) and I can connect this with the need to study Differential geometry.

But where can I find (or could someone provide) a simple, example of how rotation matrices preserve symmetries of PDS (and, also, explain what a synmmetry of a PDE is)

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a very good question and I'll try to find / create an example. Noether's paper about invariants of differential expressions (Göttingen, 1918) is quite clear and surprisingly easy to read compared to the modern versions of her famous theorem. I would quote it, but it's not in English.

JTC said:
But where can I find (or could someone provide) a simple, example of how rotation matrices preserve symmetries of PDS (and, also, explain what a synmmetry of a PDE is)

It may be a more elementary level than a textbook, but this Wikipedia article provides several derivations of Noether's Theorem in different contexts plus examples of its use. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noether's_theorem

anorlunda said:
It may be a more elementary level than a textbook, but this Wikipedia article provides several derivations of Noether's Theorem in different contexts plus examples of its use. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noether's_theorem

Hi, I am "aware" of Noether's work but I feel it is too advanced for me and am hoping for a simpler example. One must exist. I just feel much happier when things are in context of simple examples.

fresh_42 said:
This is a very good question and I'll try to find / create an example. Noether's paper about invariants of differential expressions (Göttingen, 1918) is quite clear and surprisingly easy to read compared to the modern versions of her famous theorem. I would quote it, but it's not in English.

If you do type up a response, please, if you can, keep it simple. It would help me a lot.

There are many examples of how symmetries can be used in relation to PDEs. One of the more encountered ones is to use the symmetries in order to reduce the possible forms of a solution. To be explicit, consider the search for the Green's function of Poisson's equation in ##n## dimensions, i.e.,
$$
\nabla^2 G(\vec x) = \delta^{(n)}(\vec x)
$$
This differential equation is invariant under rotations about the origin, implying that the Green's function ##G(\vec x)## can be written only as a function of ##r = \lvert \vec x\rvert##. Once we know this, we can significantly simplify the differential equation and eventually solve it as an ODE in ##r## (with the solution depending on the number of dimensions we consider).

Another application of symmetries to PDEs is to use the symmetries of a Sturm-Liouville problem, including the boundary conditions, to find out what types of eigenfunctions are admissible as solutions, the number of degenerate eigenvalues, etc, using representation theory.

Edit: In particular, it is a rather nice exercise to look at how the functions ##e^{in\varphi}## form the irreps of the group ##SO(2)## as represented by functions on the unit circle, or how the spherical harmonics form the irreps of the group ##SO(3)## as represented by functions on the unit sphere.

1. How does a rotation matrix preserve symmetry of PDE?

A rotation matrix is a mathematical tool that can be used to transform a system of coordinates from one orientation to another. When applied to a PDE, it essentially rotates the coordinate system, but the underlying equations remain the same. This means that the PDE retains its symmetry, as the same relationships between variables and their derivatives are maintained.

2. Can you provide an example of how a rotation matrix preserves symmetry of PDE?

One example is the heat equation, which describes the flow of heat in a system. When a rotation matrix is applied to the coordinate system, the equation still holds true and the symmetry of the system is preserved. This means that the temperature at a particular point is still dependent on the temperature at surrounding points, regardless of the orientation of the coordinate system.

3. Why is it important for a PDE to preserve symmetry?

Symmetry is an important concept in mathematics and physics because it often leads to simpler and more elegant solutions. By preserving symmetry through the use of a rotation matrix, we can simplify the PDE and potentially make it easier to solve. Additionally, many physical systems exhibit symmetry, so preserving it in the PDE allows us to accurately model and understand these systems.

4. Are there any cases where a rotation matrix does not preserve symmetry of PDE?

While a rotation matrix is a powerful tool for preserving symmetry, there are some cases where it may not work. For example, if the PDE is nonlinear, the rotation may change the underlying relationships between variables, leading to a loss of symmetry. Additionally, if the PDE is discretized, the rotation may introduce numerical errors that affect the symmetry of the solution.

5. How does the use of a rotation matrix impact the solution of a PDE?

Using a rotation matrix to preserve symmetry of a PDE can simplify the solution process and potentially lead to more accurate results. By transforming the coordinate system, we can sometimes reduce the number of independent variables in the equation, making it easier to solve. However, it is important to carefully consider the impact of the rotation on the PDE and ensure that it is appropriate for the specific problem at hand.