Examples of fractal structure in prime partition numbers?

In summary, there has been a recent discovery by Ken Ono and colleagues of the fractal structure of partition numbers for primes. A suggested way to better understand this structure is to view a diagram or presentation of the numbers. It is possible that this fractal structure may also exist in longer integer sequences. However, there are currently no known examples of this. Ono has given a lecture on this topic, but the examples only start at 50:00. The interest in this topic lies in the visualization of patterns in large integers, particularly in the multiset of partitions, and if there are any correlations between these patterns and the number p(n). There is also interest in exploring the partitions of a large prime. While some may argue that
Ventrella
Regarding the recent discovery by Ken Ono and colleagues of the fractal structure of partition numbers for primes: a great lever of intuition would be to see a diagram, or any presentation of the numbers that reveals this fractal structure. Perhaps the fractal structure is somehow hidden in a long integer sequence? In this case, I assume it is still possible to reveal this fractal structure. Are there any known examples that I could see?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Googling for this, I can only find stuff from 2011. Of course it's a lot more recent than Euler.
The fractal structure is because there are structures stat are similar mod p, p^2, p^3 etc. The interesting stuff only seems to start at p=13, tough. A scale factor of 13 doesn't make for pretty pictures, I'm afraid. I found This lecture by Ken Ono, there are some examples starting at 50:00, but it's all numbers

Hi Willem2: Thanks for sharing that video - I understand the fractal structure better now. My interest in this topic is in regards to the art of visualizing patterns in large integers. I suspect that the patterns that Ono and colleagues have revealed could be visualized in a way that brings out the self-similarity - using one of many visualization techniques.

My fundamental interest is actually about finding patterns - not in a single partition number p(n) - but among the multiset of partitions themselves - which constitutes a larger dataset and which can be displayed in a 2D grid, using an ordering scheme such as the Dominance Order. I would be curious to learn if there are any correlations between the number p(n) and the patterns among the multiset of partitions themselves - and whether there are any insights to be gained from exploring the partitions of a large prime.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean when you say that a scale factor of 13 doesn't make for pretty pictures. There are many fractal patterns with a scale factor of 13 that are extremely interesting. Perhaps you were referring to the fact that p(13) is only 101, which doesn't offer much data for visual treatment.

Last edited:

1. What are prime partition numbers?

Prime partition numbers are a type of mathematical sequence where each number represents the total number of ways a given number can be expressed as a sum of prime numbers. For example, the prime partition number for 5 is 7, as there are 7 different ways to express 5 as a sum of primes (2+3, 5+0, 3+2, 2+2+1, 2+1+1+1, 1+1+1+1+1, and 1+1+1+2).

2. What is a fractal structure?

A fractal structure is a geometric pattern that repeats itself at different scales. This means that the same pattern can be found within itself at smaller or larger scales, creating infinite levels of complexity. Fractals are often found in nature, such as in snowflakes, coastlines, and tree branches.

3. How are fractal structures related to prime partition numbers?

Fractal structures can be observed in the graph of prime partition numbers. As the numbers get larger, the pattern of peaks and valleys becomes increasingly intricate, resembling a fractal pattern. This is due to the fact that the number of ways a number can be partitioned into primes becomes more complex as the number increases.

4. Can fractal structures be found in other mathematical sequences?

Yes, fractal structures can be found in many mathematical sequences, including Fibonacci numbers, Pascal's triangle, and the Mandelbrot set. This is because these sequences exhibit self-similarity, meaning that the same pattern can be found at different scales, just like in fractals.

5. How are fractal structures and prime partition numbers useful in real-world applications?

Fractal structures and prime partition numbers have various applications in fields such as computer science, physics, and finance. They can be used in data compression, image and signal processing, and modeling of natural phenomena. They also have important implications in number theory and the study of prime numbers.