Existence of Complex Structures and Characteristic Classes

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of a characteristic class that can determine if a manifold allows a complex structure. The existence of such a class is still an open question, but there has been research done on obstructions to almost complex structures. The conversation also mentions the connection between almost complex structures and integer lifts of the second Stiefel Whitney class. It is mentioned that the only spheres with an almost-complex structure are the 2-sphere and the 6-sphere, with the existence of a complex structure on the latter still being an unsolved problem. The conversation also delves into the use of pure octonions to define an almost-complex structure on S6. However, it is noted that octonion multiplication is not
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi,
Just curious if someone knows of any Characteristic class used to determine if a manifold allows
a Complex structure? It seems strange that Complex Space C^n is topologically Identical to R^{2n}
yet I believe not all R^{2n}s ( if any) allow Complex structures. Thanks for any comments, refs.

EDIT: I believe we would be working with classifying spaces associated to , respectively,
almost-complex structures and GL(2n) , and then using the inclusion of almost-complex
into GL(2n) and then working with the associated inclusion i of the classifying spaces
and lifts for the associated classifying maps.
But we would then need to know about the cohomology associated to each, in order to
figure out the obstructions to the existence . Am I on the right track, and, if not, please correct me,
if so, p-lease help me take the next step on the details.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure, but I have a feeling that if the obstruction to a complex structure were a characteristic class that we could easily describe, then the existence of a complex structure on S^6 would not be an open question.

Likes WWGD
Ben Niehoff said:
Not sure, but I have a feeling that if the obstruction to a complex structure were a characteristic class that we could easily describe, then the existence of a complex structure on S^6 would not be an open question.
That's a funny example. A quick search offered me several papers for each position. And not of the kind "I've proven Fermat."
Could be an interesting topic on its own.

Likes WWGD
This isn't much of an answer but maybe it points to areas of research.

This will be for obstructions to almost complex structures.

A 2n-dimensional orientable manifold has an almost complex structure if there is a section of the quotient bundle of the principal SO(2n) bundle with fiber SO(2n)/U(n).

For a CW-complex or simplicial complex obstructions to sections of the bundle over the skeleta of the complex lie in the cohomology groups with twisted coefficients equal to the homotopy groups of SO(2n)/U(n). One needs to know the homotopy groups of SO(2n)/U(n). I am sure there is a lot research on this.

If there is an almost complex structure then the bundle has Chern classes and as is well known the mod 2 reduction of Chern classes are the even dimensional Stiefel-Whitney classes. By the Bockstein cohomology sequence for ##0 →Z→Z→Z_{2}→0## it follows that the integer Stiefel-Whitney classes (the images of the Stiefel-Whitney classes under the Bockstein connecting homomorphism) must be zero. For instance, for a 6 manifold this requires that both the second and fourth Stiefel Whitney classes of the tangent bundle map to zero under the Bockstein connecting homomorphism.

One wonders how almost complex structures on a 6 manifold correspond to integer lifts of the second Stiefel Whitney class.

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
As is often mentioned, the only spheres having an almost-complex structure are the 2-sphere (which clearly has an actual complex structure as ℂℙ1) and the 6-sphere (where the existence of an actual complex structure is a long-unsolved open problem).

To get an almost-complex structure on S6, identify this sphere with the set of pure octonions of unit length. Then a bundle map

J: T(S6) → T(S6)​

of the tangent bundle to itself satisfying J2 = -I can be defined via a linear isomorphism

Jx: Tx(S6) → Tx(S6)​

given on each tangent space Tx(S6) by

Jx(y) = x y​

for any pure unit octonions x and y, where xy denotes the octonion product of x and y. Then we have

Jx2(y) = x (x y) = (x x) y = -y​

because the product x y z of octonions x, y, z is well-defined when any two of x, y, z are equal (even though the octonions are not associative in general), and because any pure unit octonion is a square root of -1. QED

B = {1, e0, ..., e6}.​

To define multiplication of gracefully: Multiples of 1 form the real numbers within the octonions, and the rest are multiplied using the rules

a) ej2 = -1

b) ej ej+1 = ej+3

(index addition is understood modulo 7), and

c) ej ek = -ek ej,

for all j, k in the range 0 ≤ j, k ≤ 6.

and these rules are extended to make multiplication on all of bilinear.

Then these rules imply that

(e0 e1) e2 = e3 e2 = -e2 e3 = -e5,​

but

e0 (e1 e2) = e0 e4 = -e1,

showing that octonion multiplication is not, in general, associative.

1. What are complex structures and characteristic classes?

Complex structures refer to mathematical objects that describe the underlying geometric structure of a space, such as manifolds or surfaces. Characteristic classes are topological invariants that characterize these structures and can be used to distinguish between different geometric objects.

2. Why are complex structures and characteristic classes important in science?

These concepts are important in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and computer science. They provide a way to classify and study different types of geometric structures, which can help us better understand the world around us.

3. How are complex structures and characteristic classes related?

Complex structures and characteristic classes are closely related, as characteristic classes are often used to classify and distinguish between different complex structures. In some cases, the existence of certain characteristic classes can determine the existence of a particular type of complex structure.

4. Can complex structures and characteristic classes be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, these concepts have numerous practical applications in fields such as materials science, computer graphics, and robotics. For example, characteristic classes can be used to analyze the stability of structures and determine the best way to deform them without compromising their integrity.

5. Are there any unresolved questions or controversies surrounding complex structures and characteristic classes?

While there is a solid understanding of these concepts in mathematics, there are ongoing debates and open questions about their applications in science and engineering. Some areas of research focus on refining and extending existing theories, while others explore new ways to apply these concepts to real-world problems.