Exists ? : Invariant geodesic equation

In summary, the geodesic equation cannot be invariant under coordinate changes because it has one free vector index. However, it is covariant and can be transformed by an arbitrary change of coordinates. The equation can be simplified in a rotationally symmetric spacetime and solutions can be found for specific scenarios, such as circular motion. However, these solutions may not hold true when rotated out of the simplified scenario.
jk22
Does there exist a form of the geodesic equation which is invariant under coordinates change ?

Physics news on Phys.org
A curve ##\gamma## is a geodesic if and only if ##\nabla_{\dot{\gamma}}\dot{\gamma}=0.## Is this what you mean?

Likes Ibix
I don't know this notation.

##\dot{\gamma}## is the tangent vector to a curve. ##\nabla_{\dot{\gamma}}## is the covariant derivative along the curve. Writing ##\dot{\gamma}=\frac{dx^\mu}{d\tau}##, you get ##\nabla_{\dot\gamma}\dot\gamma=\frac{dx^\mu}{d\tau}\nabla_\mu\frac{dx^\nu}{d\tau}##.

jk22 said:
Does there exist a form of the geodesic equation which is invariant under coordinates change ?
The geodesic equation cannot be invariant because it has one free (vector) index. It is, therefore, covariant (i.e., form invariant) with respect to an arbitrary change of coordinates. Indeed, it is a good exercise to show that the left-hand-side of the geodesic equation transforms as a vector:

[tex]\left(\frac{d^{2}\bar{x}^{\mu}}{d\tau^{2}} + \bar{\Gamma}^{\mu}_{\rho \sigma}(\bar{x}) \frac{d\bar{x}^{\rho}}{d\tau}\frac{d\bar{x}^{\sigma}}{d\tau}\right) = \frac{\partial \bar{x}^{\mu}}{\partial x^{\nu}} \left( \frac{d^{2} x^{\nu}}{d\tau^{2}} + \Gamma^{\nu}_{\rho \sigma}(x) \frac{d x^{\rho}}{d\tau}\frac{d x^{\sigma}}{d\tau}\right).[/tex]

@jk22 I think a precise way of asking your question is 'Does their exist a way to write an equation for a geodesic that does not require using coordinates?" @Infrared in post #2 has given it.

samalkhaiat said:
The geodesic equation cannot be invariant because it has one free (vector) index. It is, therefore, covariant (i.e., form invariant) with respect to an arbitrary change of coordinates. Indeed, it is a good exercise to show that the left-hand-side of the geodesic equation transforms as a vector:

[tex]\left(\frac{d^{2}\bar{x}^{\mu}}{d\tau^{2}} + \bar{\Gamma}^{\mu}_{\rho \sigma}(\bar{x}) \frac{d\bar{x}^{\rho}}{d\tau}\frac{d\bar{x}^{\sigma}}{d\tau}\right) = \frac{\partial \bar{x}^{\mu}}{\partial x^{\nu}} \left( \frac{d^{2} x^{\nu}}{d\tau^{2}} + \Gamma^{\nu}_{\rho \sigma}(x) \frac{d x^{\rho}}{d\tau}\frac{d x^{\sigma}}{d\tau}\right).[/tex]

I wanted to say rotationally invariant in the 3d space. I ask this because of the following : there are circular uniform orbits by fixing theta at a certain value, but if one rotate this trajectory around the origin then it is no more solution of the 4 geodesic equation.

jk22 said:
I wanted to say rotationally invariant in the 3d space. I ask this because of the following : there are circular uniform orbits by fixing theta at a certain value, but if one rotate this trajectory around the origin then it is no more solution of the 4 geodesic equation.
If you are using the geodesic equation in a space that is rotationally symmetric about a point and you rotate solutions about that point, they will still be solutions.

Are doing something like simplifying the geodesic equations in Schwarzschild spacetime to solve for paths in the equatorial plane, then rotating those solutions out of the plane? The result will be a solution of the geodesic equations but not of the simplified equations.

For a circular motion ##r## is constant and time flows linearly. The geodesic equation reads

$$\ddot{\theta}=\sin\theta\cos\theta\dot{\phi}^2$$
$$\ddot{\phi}=2\cot\theta\dot{\theta}\dot{\phi}$$
$$\dot{\theta}^2+\sin^2\theta\dot{\phi}^2=C(onstant)$$

The second equation is divided by ##\dot{\phi}## giving by integration :

$$\dot{\phi}=A\sin^2\theta$$

Substituting in the first and multiplying by ##\dot{\theta}## gives

$$\dot{\theta}^2/2=A^2/6\sin^6\theta$$

The last equation becomes

$$\dot{\theta}^2+A^2\sin^6\theta=C$$

Thus one can deduce that ##\theta=\sqrt[6]{3C/4A^2}##

However if one considers a circular uniform motion around the y-axis then ##\theta=\omega t## increases linearly with time, hence this cannot be a solution and gives a contradiction since it should be one.

jk22 said:
$$\ddot{\phi}=2\cot\theta\dot{\theta}\dot{\phi}$$
You haven't stated what spacetime you are working in, so once again we need to guess part of your problem. Please try to state a complete problem.

Assuming you are working in Schwarzschild spacetime, I believe the quoted equation should be $$\ddot{\phi}=-2\cot\theta\dot{\theta}\dot{\phi}$$
Code:
/* Maxima batch file to calculate geodesic equations in Schwarzschild  */
/* spacetime, simplifying for the case of a circular orbit (dr/dtau=0, */
/* dt/dtau=const)                                                      */

/* Load ctensor and set up for Schwarzschild spacetime */
load(ctensor);
ct_coordsys(exteriorschwarzschild);
depends(r,tau);
depends(t,tau);
depends(theta,tau);
depends(phi,tau);

/* Calculate inverse metric and Christoffel symbols */
ug:invert(lg);
christof(mcs);

/* Function to generate the ith geodesic equation. Note that Maxima  */
/* numbers arrays from 1 and the Christoffel symbol \Gamma^i_{jk} is */
/* stored in array element mcs[j,k,i].                               */
geodesic(i):=block(
    [j,k,geo],
    geo:diff(ct_coords[i],tau,2),
    for j:1 thru 4 do block (
        for k:1 thru 4 do block (
            geo:geo+mcs[j,k,i]*diff(ct_coords[j],tau)*diff(ct_coords[k],tau)
        )
    ),
    return(ratsimp(geo)=0)
);

/* Generate the geodesic equations and simplify */
[geodesic(1),geodesic(2),geodesic(3),geodesic(4)];
substitute(0,diff(r,tau,2),%);
substitute(0,diff(r,tau),%);
substitute(R,r,%); /* R is a constant */
substitute(0,diff(t,tau,2),%);
substitute(K,diff(t,tau),%); /* K is a constant */
ratsimp(%);
expand(%);

Last edited:
Likes jk22
Yes, in fact I used wikipedia equations of motion : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarzschild_geodesics and I made a sign mistake.

But my argument is anyhow wrong since the above solution is only if ##\dot{\phi}\neq 0##, whereas a rotation around the y-axis is exactly that countercase.

Erratum:
jk22 said:
For a circular motion ##r## is constant and time flows linearly. The geodesic equation reads

$$\ddot{\theta}=\sin\theta\cos\theta\dot{\phi}^2$$
$$\ddot{\phi}=-2\cot\theta\dot{\theta}\dot{\phi}$$
$$\dot{\theta}^2+\sin^2\theta\dot{\phi}^2=C(onstant)$$

The second equation is divided by ##\dot{\phi}## giving by integration :

$$\dot{\phi}=a/\sin^2\theta$$

Substituting in the first and multiplying by ##\dot{\theta}## gives

$$\dot{\theta}^2=-a^2/\sin^2\theta+d$$

Giving :

$$ (\sin(x) \sqrt(d - a \csc^2(x)) (\sqrt(d) \log(\sqrt(2 a + d \cos(2 x) - d) +\sqrt(2) \sqrt(d)\cos(x)) - \sqrt(a) \tanh^(-1)((\sqrt(2) \sqrt(a) \cos(x))/\sqrt(2 a + d \cos(2 x) - d))))/\sqrt(a + 1/2 d \cos(2 x) - d/2)=t $$(##x=\theta##, by wolframalpha)The last equation becomes

$$D=C$$

So we see it is a solution.

1. What is the "Exists ? : Invariant geodesic equation"?

The "Exists ? : Invariant geodesic equation" is a mathematical equation used in the field of general relativity to describe the motion of particles in curved spacetime. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that the path a particle takes between two points is the one that minimizes the action (a measure of the energy) along that path.

2. Why is the "Exists ? : Invariant geodesic equation" important?

The "Exists ? : Invariant geodesic equation" is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of particles in the presence of massive objects, such as planets or stars. It is crucial for understanding the effects of gravity on the motion of objects and has been used to make predictions about the behavior of light and other particles in the universe.

3. How is the "Exists ? : Invariant geodesic equation" derived?

The "Exists ? : Invariant geodesic equation" is derived from the Einstein field equations, which describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy within it. By solving these equations, we can determine the geodesic equation, which describes the motion of particles in curved spacetime.

4. What does the word "invariant" mean in the "Exists ? : Invariant geodesic equation"?

The word "invariant" in the "Exists ? : Invariant geodesic equation" refers to the fact that the equation remains the same regardless of the coordinate system used to describe spacetime. This means that the equation is valid in any frame of reference and is not affected by changes in perspective or measurement.

5. How does the "Exists ? : Invariant geodesic equation" relate to the theory of general relativity?

The "Exists ? : Invariant geodesic equation" is a fundamental part of the theory of general relativity, which was developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It is one of the key equations used to describe the effects of gravity on the motion of objects in the universe and has been extensively tested and confirmed through observations and experiments.