Expansion of Banned Topics within forum Rules & Guidelines

• Thread starter Dembadon
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of expanding the list of banned topics in the forum rules. While it may require more work for the staff to audit and add new suggestions, it could lead to a more comprehensive and effective rules document. The mentors have previously decided to only list the most commonly seen topics, but suggestions for new additions are welcome. Suggestions can be made publicly or through reporting a thread.
Dembadon
Gold Member
Expansion of "Banned Topics" within forum Rules & Guidelines

Is there a way for members to ask for a certain topic to be included in the list of quackery or crackpot topics at the end of the forum rules? I realize this might make more work for the staff, as they would have to audit each suggestion to see whether it should be added, but I think it would make for a more robust rules document.

I also realize there are probably thousands of topics that could be included in the banned topic section, and many of them fall under the umbrella of topics already listed. However, explicitly stating a few of the more infamous/popular sub-topics might decrease the frequency, or the need, to moderate threads that were created out of ignorance or some personal crusade against Science.

Physics news on Phys.org
Once, the mentors decided that we wouldn't make the banned topics list to be all-inclusive. We would just list some topics that show up a lot (like perpetual motion) and list that. In principle, every crackpottery that is not listed is still forbidden, but we don't list it explicitely since it doesn't come up much, or since it is obvious crackpotteryy.

But if you have a suggestions, then you can go ahead and suggest something. We will certainly consider it. If you don't want to publically suggest it, then you can always report your thread and suggest it in there.

I understand. Thank you, micro.

1. What are the main reasons for expanding banned topics within forum rules and guidelines?

The main reasons for expanding banned topics within forum rules and guidelines are to ensure a safe and respectful environment for all forum users, to prevent any potential harm or offense caused by certain topics, and to maintain the overall quality and integrity of the forum.

2. How are the topics chosen to be banned within forum rules and guidelines?

The topics chosen to be banned within forum rules and guidelines are typically determined by the forum moderators and administrators, who take into consideration user feedback, community standards, and potential legal implications. They may also consult with experts in the field or conduct research to make informed decisions.

3. Are banned topics ever re-evaluated and potentially removed from the banned list?

Yes, banned topics are periodically re-evaluated and may be removed from the banned list if deemed appropriate by the forum moderators and administrators. This may happen if the topic is no longer relevant or if new information or perspectives arise.

4. How do forum moderators and administrators enforce the banned topics rule?

Forum moderators and administrators typically rely on user reports and their own monitoring to enforce the banned topics rule. They may also set up automated filters or use other tools to prevent users from discussing banned topics. Users who repeatedly violate the rule may face consequences such as warnings, suspensions, or bans.

5. What should I do if I have a question about a topic that may be banned within forum rules and guidelines?

If you have a question about a topic that may be banned within forum rules and guidelines, it is best to reach out to the forum moderators or administrators for clarification. They can provide more information about the reasons behind the ban and whether or not it is appropriate to discuss the topic on the forum. It is always better to err on the side of caution and seek guidance rather than risk violating the rules.