Experiment - Flux, Irradiance, wavelength from Temperature

In summary, the conversation discusses an experimental setup with a purpose-built tube that mimics a blackbody and is heated to emit as a blackbody. The temperature of the tube is measured using a separate sensor, while a thermopile sensor inside the tube measures the temperature of the blackbody's surface. To extract more data from the temperature reading, the Wien Displacement Law can be used to calculate the peak wavelength emission. Planck's law can also be used to calculate the spectral radiance at any given wavelength, and integrating this over all wavelengths can give the total radiance. To calculate the flux, the radiance must be integrated over a certain area.
Natalie Johnson
In my experimental setup I have a purpose built small aluminium tube that has a black layer on the inside to mimic a blackbody.

The tube is heated so the inside emits as a blackbody. A separate temperature sensor attached to the tube gives the temperature of the tube.

I have a thermopile sensor inside the tube that reads temperature of the surface of the blackbody. I am confused how I can convert this data into quantities such as spectral radiance, radiance, wavelengths or flux.

Using Wien Displacement Law I know I can get the peak wavelength emission of the blackbody from
Peak wavelength = wien Displacement constant / temperature

The temperature will be the value recorded by the thermopile sensor.

I really don't understand how to extract anymore data from my temperature reading ... Radiometry is somewhat confusing! Please can someone assist

Physics news on Phys.org
in explaining how I can convert the temperature reading into spectral radiance, radiance, wavelengths or flux.The temperature reading from the thermopile sensor will be a measure of the blackbody's radiant power. You can use Planck's law to calculate the spectral radiance at any given wavelength. To get the total radiance you will need to integrate the spectral radiance over all wavelengths. To get the flux, you will need to integrate the radiance over a certain area.

1. What is flux in relation to temperature?

Flux refers to the amount of energy that is transferred through a surface, typically measured in watts. In relation to temperature, flux is often used to describe the amount of radiant energy that is emitted or absorbed by a material at different temperatures.

2. How does irradiance change with temperature?

Irradiance is the amount of radiant flux per unit area, typically measured in watts per square meter. As temperature increases, the irradiance also increases due to the higher amount of energy being emitted by the material.

3. What is the relationship between wavelength and temperature?

The relationship between wavelength and temperature is described by Wien's displacement law, which states that the wavelength of maximum emission from a blackbody is inversely proportional to its temperature. This means that as temperature increases, the wavelength of maximum emission decreases.

4. How does temperature affect the color of an object?

Temperature affects the color of an object by changing the wavelength of light that is emitted or absorbed by the material. As temperature increases, the color of the material shifts towards shorter wavelengths, resulting in a change from red to orange, yellow, white, and finally blue at very high temperatures.

5. Why is it important to measure flux, irradiance, and wavelength from temperature?

Measuring flux, irradiance, and wavelength from temperature is important because it allows scientists to understand the behavior of materials and how they interact with energy. This information is crucial in fields such as thermal engineering, materials science, and astrophysics, and can lead to advancements in technology and our understanding of the universe.