Experiment on water of crystallization

In summary, the aim of the experiment was to determine the percentage of water in hydrated copper(II) sulphate crystals. The equipment used included 1 gram of copper sulphate crystals, an evaporating dish, tongs, a Bunsen burner, gauze, tripod, and a weighing balance. The method involved setting up the Bunsen burner and heating the crystals in the evaporating dish until they turned white. The final weight of the crystals was then subtracted from the initial weight to determine the percentage of water. The possibility of a yellow solid being formed during the experiment was discussed, with potential products such as basic copper sulfates, copper oxide, sulfites of copper, and copper(I) compounds being considered. It
davon806

Homework Statement

Aim- To determine the percentage content of water (H2O) in hydrated copper(II) sulphate crystals (CuSO4 . 5H2O).
Equipment- Approximately 1 gram of copper sulphate crystals, evaporating dish, tongs, Bunsen burner, gauze, tripod, spatula, weighing balance.
Method- a) Set up the Bunsen burner, gauze and tripod.
c) Weigh the evaporating dish and approximately 1 gram of copper sulphate crystals.
d) Gently heat the copper sulphate crystals in the evaporating dish, until they appear to be white (If heated too much, the crystals will break down further and turn yellow.)
e) Take the evaporating dish away from the heat with the tongs, and weigh the evaporating dish containing the now white crystals.
f) To determine the percentage water, you subtract the weight of the crucible from the final weight, and then you subtract the weight of the substance left from the initial weight of the copper sulphate crystals.

Homework Equations

No.

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see the bold words.I wonder why yellow solid is formed.I have no idea coz I don't think any yellow substance will be formed among Cu,S,O and H.At first I thought it is because sulphur is formed but CuO is black in colour and Cu(OH)2 is pale blue and so they would not give a yellow appearance.Can anyone help me?Thx.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you really do want to follow up on this one, the first thing you really need to do is to discuss it with your instructor.
There is absolutely no point in speculating about what might be causing a yellow colour unless and until you can repeat the experiment, and slightly overcook the crystals, and observe that you can, in fact, produce yellowish material.

If you do have to account for a yellow material, then sulfur does not get a guernsey. Check out the following possible products from the thermal decomposition of anhydrous copper sulfate. It is pretty unlikely that anything containing hydrogen will be left. But other possible products include

Basic copper sulfates, like CuO.CuSO4
Copper oxide -- usually black, but can sometimes appear brown.
Sulfites of copper (oxygen loss)
Copper(I) compounds -- sulfate, sulfite, or oxide.

The usual thermal decomposition path for a metal sulfate is (1) dehydration to lose water co-ordinated to the metal (2) dehydration of the last water of hydration, normally associated with the sulfate (3) deoxygenation sulfate to sulfite (4) loss of sulfur dioxide for sulfite to oxide. The order of the first two steps is sometimes reversed, and the last two steps sometimes occur together. For copper, the situation is a little complicated, because copper(I) compounds, which do not participate much in the aqueous chemistry of copper, are much more prominent in the dry, and at high temperatures.

Finally, remember that it is not always the case in chemistry that a simple mixture of two substances will have the colour you might expect, especially if the particles are colloidal size or less.

1. What is water of crystallization?

Water of crystallization is water molecules that are bound to a crystal structure of a compound. These water molecules are essential for maintaining the crystal structure and are often released when the compound is heated or exposed to low humidity.

2. Why is the study of water of crystallization important?

The study of water of crystallization is important because it can provide valuable information about the structure and properties of a compound. It can also help in understanding the behavior of the compound under different conditions, such as temperature and humidity.

3. How do scientists experiment on water of crystallization?

Scientists typically use techniques such as X-ray crystallography and thermal analysis to experiment on water of crystallization. X-ray crystallography is used to determine the crystal structure of a compound, while thermal analysis measures the changes in a compound's properties as it is heated or cooled.

4. What are the potential applications of understanding water of crystallization?

Understanding water of crystallization can have various applications in fields such as pharmaceuticals, materials science, and environmental science. For example, knowing the amount of water of crystallization in a drug can help in determining its stability and efficacy.

5. Can water of crystallization be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, water of crystallization can be manipulated or controlled by changing the conditions in which the compound is stored or by adding other substances to the compound. This can alter the crystal structure and properties of the compound, which may have practical applications in various industries.