In summary, the conversation discusses finding potential reasons for a .5% error in a lab where the density of Iron was measured using the Archimedes Principle. The user is looking for "scientific and thoughtful" reasons and has ruled out human error. One potential reason mentioned is impurities in the iron ore used for the masses. The conversation also mentions that the machines used for measuring have a 1% margin of error, which could explain the .5% error.
GiantSheeps

Homework Statement

I need to find three potential reasons for my .5% error in a lab where I used the Archimedes Principle to measure the density of Iron. We only used a graduated cylinder full of water and an iron mass. I measured the water level from the meniscus. We used two different machines to measure the mass of the iron.

Human error does not count, reasons must be "scientific and thoughtful".

2. No formulas on this one, I've already calculated the percent error

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm having a lot trouble with this one! So far all I have is a potential reason is impurities in the iron ore used to make the masses.

I figure since it's such a small amount of error that reasons will be little things like that. Any hints/help would be greatly appreciated! I really am stuck

Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.dartmouth.edu/~chemlab/techniques/flasks.html

Likes GiantSheeps
Bystander said:
https://www.dartmouth.edu/~chemlab/techniques/flasks.html
Ah thank you very much! They only measure within 1%, so the .5% error makes perfect sense! Thank you, thank you

What is experimental error in Archimedes Principle Lab?

Experimental error in Archimedes Principle Lab refers to the difference between the expected or theoretical value and the actual value obtained during an experiment. It is a measure of the accuracy of the experiment and can be caused by various factors such as equipment limitations, human error, and environmental conditions.

What are the types of experimental error in Archimedes Principle Lab?

There are two types of experimental error in Archimedes Principle Lab: systematic error and random error. Systematic error is caused by consistent flaws in the experimental setup or procedure, while random error is caused by unpredictable factors and can be reduced by repeating the experiment multiple times.

How can we minimize experimental error in Archimedes Principle Lab?

To minimize experimental error in Archimedes Principle Lab, it is important to use precise and calibrated equipment, follow a standardized procedure, and control for external variables. Additionally, repeating the experiment multiple times and taking an average of the results can also help reduce random error.

What is the significance of experimental error in Archimedes Principle Lab?

Experimental error in Archimedes Principle Lab is important because it provides insight into the accuracy and reliability of the experiment. It also allows for the identification of potential sources of error and helps in improving the experimental setup and procedure for future experiments.

How do we calculate experimental error in Archimedes Principle Lab?

The formula for calculating experimental error in Archimedes Principle Lab is:
Experimental Error = |(Actual Value - Expected Value)| / Expected Value x 100%. This will give the percentage of error in the experiment and can be used to evaluate the accuracy of the results obtained.