Experimental investigation of c in electric & magnetic fields

In summary, the article discusses a laboratory experiment that yielded a negative birefringence value for light travelling in a magnetic field and in a vacuum. This has led to some doubts about the validity of the experiment's results.
mpolo
I have been researching a question I have concerning the speed of light in magnetic AND electric fields. I came across an article in arvix but could not quite understand what they were saying. I am not a scientist I am just curious. There was a statement in which was shrouded in a strange nomenclature. Can someone please decipher what they are saying. They said, "In the experimental setup described there, this would mean a birefringence with 0 n (small triangle which I think means delta) <.
Sorry that I could not find the delta symbol. This experiment was referring to measuring the speed of light in a magnetic field and in a vacuum.
What does 0 n small triangle followed by a less than sign mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nidum said:
> click on the ∑ symbol in the menu bar at top of text entry box .
I need to make a correction to the formula. it is that the birefringence is delta n < 0 What are they saying about the speed of light here? This is confusing. Thanks for the help.

mpolo said:
I came across an article in arvix but could not quite understand what they were saying.
Can you post a link the the paper and direct us to the part you are not understanding?
mpolo said:
the birefringence is delta n < 0
∇n < 0 would imply what, given the Wikipedia definition of birefringence...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birefringence
[tex]∇n = n_e - n_o[/tex]

The paragraph number 2.
I need to have this spoken to me in payments terms. It looks to me as if the experiment is supposed to yield a positive value but the person or lab measured a negative value. How does this relate to the speed of light.

Sorry I am on a trip and using a cell phone. In the paragraph above I meant laymens terms not payment terms.

Yes typed it wrong. Your link is proper. Why is the negative value a problem concerning birefringence. Does anyone know?

mpolo said:
Yes typed it wrong. Your link is proper. Why is the negative value a problem concerning birefringence. Does anyone know?

To quote from the paper so others can see:
In the experimental setup described there, this would mean a
birefringence with ∆ <n 0 . The problem is, that the result of this experiment is in clear contradiction
with the theoretical predictions mentioned above, and furthermore it shows some artefacts
[Lam 07] which make the probability of a real result rather uncertain.

I confess that I don't have the knowledge to answer your question. :cry:

1. What is the purpose of conducting an experimental investigation of c in electric and magnetic fields?

The purpose of this experimental investigation is to measure the speed of light (c) in different electric and magnetic fields. This can provide valuable insights into the behavior of light and its interaction with these fields.

2. How is the speed of light (c) measured in this experimental investigation?

The speed of light is measured by using specialized equipment, such as a Michelson interferometer, to measure the time it takes for light to travel a known distance in the electric and magnetic fields being studied.

3. What are some potential applications of the findings from this experimental investigation?

The findings from this experimental investigation can have various practical applications, such as improving the efficiency of communication technologies that use electromagnetic waves, developing new materials for optical devices, and enhancing our understanding of fundamental physics principles.

4. Are there any challenges or limitations to conducting this experimental investigation?

Yes, there are several challenges and limitations to consider when conducting this experimental investigation. These may include the precision and accuracy of the equipment used, potential interference from external factors, and the complexity of controlling and measuring the electric and magnetic fields.

5. How does this experimental investigation contribute to our overall understanding of light and its behavior in electric and magnetic fields?

This experimental investigation provides valuable data and insights into the properties and behavior of light in different electric and magnetic fields. It can help us better understand the relationship between light and these fields and contribute to the development of new theories and technologies related to light and electromagnetism.