Explain the physics joke Don't be a d^3x/dt^3

In summary, the joke is a play on the third derivative of position in physics, known as jerk, and the phrase "don't be a jerk." It is a lighthearted reminder to not act in a way that could be considered unpleasant or annoying.
yddet12
I saw this physics joke somewhere and didn't understand it. Could someone explain it to me?

Don't be a d^3x/dt^3 Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first derivative of x (the distance), with respect to time is called the velocity.
The second derivative is called the acceleration.
The third derivative is called the jerk.

So they're telling you: don't be a jerk...

yddet12 said:
I saw this physics joke somewhere and didn't understand it. Could someone explain it to me?

Don't be a d^3x/dt^3

Thanks!

Well,

x denotes position, the first time derivative of position is velocity, the second time derivative of position is acceleration. As for the third time derivative, well, why don't you google "third time derivative of position" and see what pops up ...

Related to Explain the physics joke Don't be a d^3x/dt^3

1. What is the meaning of "d^3x/dt^3" in the physics joke?

"d^3x/dt^3" is a mathematical notation used to represent the third derivative of position with respect to time in physics. In simpler terms, it describes the rate of change of acceleration over time.

2. How is this joke related to physics?

The physics joke is based on a play on words, using the mathematical notation "d^3x/dt^3" to refer to both a derivative and a cube. This highlights the importance of precise notation and understanding in the field of physics.

3. Why is it funny to scientists?

Scientists often find humor in clever wordplay and this joke is a prime example of that. It uses a technical term in a comedic way, which can be amusing to those with a good understanding of physics.

4. Is there a deeper meaning to this joke?

While the joke may seem simple on the surface, it can also serve as a reminder of the importance of clear communication and understanding in the field of physics. It also emphasizes the use of precise notation in scientific research and discussions.

5. Can you explain the joke in simpler terms?

The joke is essentially saying "Don't be a jerk," but using mathematical notation to make it sound more sophisticated and humorous. It's a lighthearted way of reminding people to be kind and respectful in scientific discussions.