Explaining the size of a water molecule

In summary, the conversation discusses a children's radio show host working on a segment about water molecules and relating their size to that of a human body. They use an ant crawling on a person's leg as a comparison and calculate how many times this recursive process would need to be repeated to reach the size of a water molecule. The answer is approximately 4-5 times, with the fourth level ant being too big and the fifth level ant being too small. The conversation also includes additional information about the size of different ants and molecules.
Twodogs
Gold Member
I am a longtime producer and host of a children's radio show on our local public radio station.
It's springtime and the rivers are running and I'm working up a little bit of shtick about water for the show. Water molecules are among the smallest, and one goal of the piece is to relate the size of a human body to that of a water molecule in a tangible and accessible fashion.

So we imagine an ant that is 1/2” (12.7 mm) long crawling on the leg of a person 5’6” (1676 mm) tall. Fortunately it is a friendly, vegetarian ant and doesn’t bite. Then we imagine that this ant has a much smaller ant crawling on its leg and, further, that this tiny critter has an even tinier critter on its leg and so forth until we get down to a extremely small critter that is the size of a water molecule.

The question is how many times we would need to repeat that recursive process until we reach the size of a molecule given that a water molecule is 2.75E-07 mm (0.000000275 mm) in diameter.

I have made numerous attempts at various calculations and come up with some bizarre answers. My latest equation has "x" appear as a power of a constant, but I am very rusty at dealing at solving that sort of thing.

First, I would very much appreciate some guidance in getting to the right answer.
Secondly, if the question as posed is not clear or could be better phrased, I would be glad to hear suggestions.

Thanks very much,
Don in Colorado

Mathematics news on Phys.org
That is a big ant.
The ant to human ratio is 12.7/1676 = 0.00758. The ant on the ant (second level ant) is 12.7/1676 times the length of the ant, or 12.7/1676 * 12.7mm which is also equal to ##\frac{12.7}{1676} \cdot \frac{12.7}{1676} \cdot 1676mm## starting at the human. And so on. The third level ant then has a size of ##\left( \frac{12.7}{1676} \right)^3 \cdot 1676mm## The nth level ant has ##\left( \frac{12.7}{1676} \right)^n \cdot 1676mm##. Setting that equal to the size of the water molecule: ##\left( \frac{12.7}{1676} \right)^n \cdot 1676mm = 2.75\cdot10^{-07} mm##. While you can solve it step by step (divide by 1676 mm, take the logarithm on both sides, simplify), the children won't see these steps anyway. You can just plug it into an online calculator, telling you that n=4.6. The fourth level ant is too big, the fifth level ant is too small.

If you replace the 1676 mm human by a child, the fifth level ant becomes a better approximation (with a perfect match somewhere around 1050 mm). If you use a smaller ant, the fourth level ant becomes a better approximation (with a perfect match at 6 mm).

Likes QuantumQuest and jim mcnamara
mfb said:
That is a big ant.
The ant to human ratio is 12.7/1676 = 0.00758. The ant on the ant (second level ant) is 12.7/1676 times the length of the ant, or 12.7/1676 * 12.7mm which is also equal to ##\frac{12.7}{1676} \cdot \frac{12.7}{1676} \cdot 1676mm## starting at the human. And so on. The third level ant then has a size of ##\left( \frac{12.7}{1676} \right)^3 \cdot 1676mm## The nth level ant has ##\left( \frac{12.7}{1676} \right)^n \cdot 1676mm##. Setting that equal to the size of the water molecule: ##\left( \frac{12.7}{1676} \right)^n \cdot 1676mm = 2.75\cdot10^{-07} mm##. While you can solve it step by step (divide by 1676 mm, take the logarithm on both sides, simplify), the children won't see these steps anyway. You can just plug it into an online calculator, telling you that n=4.6. The fourth level ant is too big, the fifth level ant is too small.

If you replace the 1676 mm human by a child, the fifth level ant becomes a better approximation (with a perfect match somewhere around 1050 mm). If you use a smaller ant, the fourth level ant becomes a better approximation (with a perfect match at 6 mm).

Ah, I very much appreciate your walking me through this. I could not get a handle on it. Regards.

By the way, if you want to make intermediate steps, with the original numbers:
The second level ant is as large as a human hair is wide. The third level ant is a bit smaller than a typical bacterium. The fourth level ant is a complex molecule, 20 times the size of the hydrogen molecule.

mfb said:
By the way, if you want to make intermediate steps, with the original numbers:
The second level ant is as large as a human hair is wide. The third level ant is a bit smaller than a typical bacterium. The fourth level ant is a complex molecule, 20 times the size of the hydrogen molecule.
Great, that is useful. And apparently ants range in size up to 52 mm or about 2 inches. That would be an encounter.

What is the size of a water molecule?

The size of a water molecule is approximately 2.75 angstroms (Å), which is equivalent to 0.275 nanometers (nm).

What determines the size of a water molecule?

The size of a water molecule is determined by the bond length between the two hydrogen atoms and the oxygen atom, as well as the angles between these bonds. These factors are influenced by the electronic structure and geometry of the molecule.

How does the size of a water molecule affect its properties?

The small size of a water molecule allows it to move freely and easily, making it a liquid at room temperature. This also contributes to its high surface tension and ability to dissolve polar substances.

Can the size of a water molecule vary?

While the size of a water molecule is generally consistent, it can slightly vary depending on external factors such as temperature and pressure. However, these changes are minimal and do not significantly affect the overall size of the molecule.

How is the size of a water molecule measured?

The size of a water molecule can be measured using techniques such as X-ray crystallography, nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, and electron microscopy. These methods allow scientists to visualize and analyze the structure of the molecule at an atomic level.