Explanation please -- public bus induction power -- into basic physics?

In summary: I'm not sure if they would even let me look at them.In summary, the induction charger for a public transport bus has a huge air gap and may be dangerous.
houlahound
Sorry for the title, and sorry if there is already a thread on it.

This induction charger for a public transport bus. Can anyone break it down into basic formulas of high school physics. The air gap is frikkin huge. Earlier prototypes apparently had a secondary coil on the bus that was lowered but the bus drivers refused to be bothered to lower it according to internet myth.

This model I think has a fixed 10inch air gap.

That must be a huge coil/s and currents if a simple transformer equation is used.

Appreciate some detail of this design, what currents, coils, number of windings, losses etc in basic equations.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.wired.com/2012/12/induction-charging-bus/

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you see that there is an air gap while charging at the bus stops. The claimed efficiency doesn't seem to match up with that number...

The project leader said it in a national radio interview last night.

houlahound said:
The project leader said it in a national radio interview last night.
Well, that's not a very reliable source, IMO. Can you find a better source?

I would not want one of the cardiac pacemaker patients that I sometimes help walking onto a bus that had kilowatts of energy transfer going on through such a wide air gap. That's a very dangerous setup, IMO...

Precisely why I am posting, will try find a better link.

Likes berkeman
From same company, solar roads. Will make a new thread.

http://www.fastcoexist.com/1681562/solar-roads-charging-roads-and-the-future-of-transportation

K, given up on finding design specs. Thinking of emailing the manufacturer. Can some random guy off the internet do that?

Hi I'm a closet physics nerd off the internet, can you please send me the circuit diagrams of yr coils in those bus thingy's.

Would that even work?

1. What is public bus induction power?

Public bus induction power is a method of wirelessly transferring electrical energy from a power source to a moving bus. This allows the bus to charge its batteries while in motion, eliminating the need for frequent stops to recharge.

2. How does public bus induction power work?

Public bus induction power works by using a series of electromagnetic coils placed under the road and on the bus. When the bus drives over the coils, they create an electromagnetic field which induces a current in the bus's receiving coil, charging its batteries.

3. What are the benefits of using public bus induction power?

The main benefit of public bus induction power is that it eliminates the need for frequent stops to recharge, allowing buses to operate for longer periods of time. It also reduces air pollution and noise pollution, as there is no need for buses to idle or use their engines while charging.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using public bus induction power?

One potential drawback is the cost of implementing the technology, as it requires infrastructure and equipment to be installed on both the road and buses. There may also be concerns about the electromagnetic fields generated by the charging process.

5. How does public bus induction power relate to basic physics?

Public bus induction power is based on principles of electromagnetism and induction, which are fundamental concepts in basic physics. Understanding these concepts is crucial in developing and implementing technologies such as public bus induction power.