Explore Unusual DNA Structures: Hoogsteen Pairs, Hairpin Structures & More!

In summary: I will try to find the answer to that question and update this answer.In summary, a mirror repeat has symmetry such that folding the sequence back onto itself superimposes the bases. However, then folding the the sequence onto the opposite strand does not superimpose the bases.
nickname
i have to fill in the blanks for the following questions using the following choices (some will be used once, others more than once, and others not at all) : z-dna, cruciform structure, mirror repeat, hairpin structure, g-tetraplex, triplex dna, hoogsteen pairs, a-dna, duplex dna, inverted repeat.

1. A(n) ____ does not have complementary sequence on the same strand.

2. a(n) _________ is self-complementary.

3. a sequence, such as a palindrome, that can be rotated 180 degrees horizontally and 180 vertically in order to superimpose a sequence repeat on the other sequence is a(n):__________

4. a four-stranded, right-handed helix formed by a dna segment containing a high proportion of guanine residues is known as a(n)_______________

5. in a(n) _____________, interstrand hydrogen bonds break and intrastrand hydrogen bonds form.

6. an inverted repeat that occurs within a single dna strand is a(n)_________

7. the sequence -GTGAG...CTCAC-
-CACTC...GAGTG- is a(n)_____________ and has the potential to form a(n)______________.

8. _____________ can form when a polynucleotide strand forms ___________ with functional groups in the major groove of a homopurine-homopyrimidine duplex that can contain a mirror repeat.

9. a single dna strand with the sequence-ATATG...CATAT-can form a(n) ______________.

the hint given is a mirror repeat has symmetry such that folding the sequence back onto itself superimposes the bases. however, then folding the the sequence onto the opposite strand does not superimpose the bases. consider whether a mirror repeat has a superimposable sequence in the complementary strand.

thank you so much for your help!

My answers were the following but some are incorrect:
1. mirror repeat
2. duplex dna
3. mirror repeat
4. g-tetraplex
5. hairpin structure
6. mirror repeat
7. inverted, cruciform structure
8. triplex dna, hoogsteen pairs
9. hairpin structure

Physics news on Phys.org
People here won't just answer your questions for you. How can we help you better understand the material? What specific things don't you understand? Which parts are you having trouble with?

I checked my answers and I do not undersand why some of them are incorrect.

What is an unusual DNA structure?

An unusual DNA structure refers to any deviation from the standard double helix structure of DNA. This can include structures such as triplex DNA, quadruplex DNA, hairpin loops, and cruciform DNA, among others.

What causes unusual DNA structures to form?

Unusual DNA structures can be caused by a variety of factors, including changes in the DNA sequence, environmental factors, and interactions with other molecules such as proteins or drugs. Some unusual structures are also formed intentionally for research purposes.

Why are unusual DNA structures important?

Unusual DNA structures play important roles in cellular processes such as DNA replication, transcription, and repair. They can also have significant implications in genetic disorders, cancer, and other diseases. Studying these structures can provide valuable insights into the mechanisms of these processes and potential treatment strategies.

How are unusual DNA structures studied?

Unusual DNA structures can be studied using a variety of techniques, including X-ray crystallography, nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, and electron microscopy. These methods allow scientists to visualize the structure and determine its properties and functions.

Can unusual DNA structures be manipulated?

Yes, scientists can manipulate and control the formation of unusual DNA structures using various techniques. This can include changing the DNA sequence, altering environmental conditions, or using specific molecules to target and stabilize certain structures. Manipulating these structures can help researchers understand their functions and potential applications in biotechnology and medicine.