Explore Video Playlists: Find What You're Looking For

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
In summary, some intrepid people have been busy adding videos to the media gallery, but it would be helpful if there was a way to more specifically label and address them. Two approaches that occurred to them were labeling by keywords or by playlists, and it would be nice if these could be produced by interested viewers but is not feasible at this time.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I see that some intrepid people have been busy adding a lot of videos.
Some categories have many entries.

I was wondering if there could be (or is, unbeknownst to me) some way to identify them by a more detailed labeling or addressing method.
Two approaches that occurred to me were:
  • keywords or
  • playlists (on a particular subject)
It would be nice if these could be produced by interested viewers, but I don't know what's feasible, etc.

Likes Wrichik Basu and jedishrfu
Physics news on Phys.org
A tag cloud might be useful from keywords. Bigger words means more stuff under that category.

Likes BillTre
Here's another question:
If there is a link to some particularly good explanatory video in some post to a thread, could that be made an entry in the list of videos or a play list by some simple button triggered action?

BillTre said:
I see that some intrepid people have been busy adding a lot of videos.
Some categories have many entries.

I was wondering if there could be (or is, unbeknownst to me) some way to identify them by a more detailed labeling or addressing method.
Two approaches that occurred to me were:
  • keywords or
  • playlists (on a particular subject)
It would be nice if these could be produced by interested viewers, but I don't know what's feasible, etc.
If you remember, at one point of time, the categories in the media gallery were much less. @Greg Bernhardt created the categories upon request of many earlier this year.

Playlist is something that I have been requesting for a long time. There is an option to create albums, but @Greg Bernhardt has disabled them in general. Play lists become really necessary when one is uploading lecture courses, like I generally do. It helps to keep videos organised.

An album view may be added, so that all user albums can be viewed separately. But before that, albums have to be enabled.

BillTre said:
Here's another question:
If there is a link to some particularly good explanatory video in some post to a thread, could that be made an entry in the list of videos or a play list by some simple button triggered action?
That's a good idea. But the final decision of "good" videos rests on the mentors and the admin. One thing that could be done is, if the mentors find good videos in any thread, they can upload it to the media gallery under the user profile of the person who used it in the thread, and the user may be notified of this as well.

An alternative approach might be writing an Insight article about the lectures and then referencing the lectures in the sequence they would be used.

The danger here is who gets the credit as you really need to make clear who owns the videos that you are commenting on in the article. It would be easy for a reader to assume that you the author of the article created the videos and thus a plagiarism suit is born.

As an example, I could see writing an insight on vector analysis and then referencing the Mathispower4u videos that I added to our media collection that how I found them initially and I would need to thank and make clear that the video author got his proper credit.

jedishrfu said:
An alternative approach might be writing an Insight article about the lectures and then referencing the lectures in the sequence they would be used.

The danger here is who gets the credit as you really need to make clear who owns the videos that you are commenting on in the article. It would be easy for a reader to assume that you the author of the article created the videos and thus a plagiarism suit is born.

A good option, but the article has to be edited over and over again, because the gallery is expanding.

Regarding the credits, it would be better if the person who uploads the videos, writes an insight for himself. In that way, there would be no problem, because I'll only write about my videos and you'll write about yours, and so on.

Interesting ideas.

I think it would be a good idea for a viewer (without requiring the uploader involvement) to either add a tag to it or put it on a playlist (either indivdualized to themselves or available to everyone).
This allows people (viewers), perhaps interested in some unique crossover subject (spanning two areas of inquiry), to make lists specific to their particular interests (rather than predetermined ones).

An Insight article would be more of a explanation of a larger subject, perhaps using videos to demonstrate some subsidiary concepts.

Where as, a play list would have relatively little annotation and comment.
Insight article gets a review, a playlist probably not.
A playlist would be quick and easy, an insights article would be relatively ponderous (in response time), due to review process.

Valuations based on these issues will differ, based on what kind of resource one desires.

1. What is the purpose of "Explore Video Playlists"?

The purpose of "Explore Video Playlists" is to help users find specific videos or topics they are interested in by curating playlists of related content. This feature allows users to easily discover new videos and explore a variety of topics.

2. How do I access "Explore Video Playlists"?

"Explore Video Playlists" can be accessed by clicking on the "Explore" tab on the homepage of the video platform. From there, users can browse through different categories or search for specific topics to find relevant playlists.

3. Can I create my own video playlists?

Yes, users have the ability to create their own video playlists by clicking on the "Create Playlist" button on the "Explore Video Playlists" page. They can then add videos from the platform or upload their own content to the playlist.

4. Are there any restrictions on the types of videos included in playlists?

Generally, videos included in playlists should follow the community guidelines of the video platform. This means that they should not contain any explicit or harmful content. However, users have the ability to report any inappropriate videos that may be included in a playlist.

5. Can I save or share playlists with others?

Yes, users can save playlists to their account and access them at any time. They can also share playlists with others through a unique link or by inviting them to collaborate on the playlist. This allows for easy sharing and collaboration among friends or colleagues.