Exploring 1-forms & 2-forms in Vector Spaces

In summary, 1-forms and 2-forms are elements of vector spaces with local bases and exterior product spaces respectively. In ordinary 3-dimensional space, 2-forms represent directed areas and their duals are 1-forms. The curl and cross product of vectors are also 1-forms with corresponding 2-form duals. P-forms are elements of exterior product spaces with increasing number of basis elements. In 4-dimensional space-time, 2-forms and 3-forms have specific bases and 4-forms are multiples of a specific basis element. The Faraday 2-form and its dual, the Maxwell 2-form, are examples of well-known 2-forms. Maxwell's equations involve
Definition/Summary

The 1-forms (or covectors or psuedovectors) of a vector space with local basis [itex](dx_1,dx_2,\dots,dx_n)[/itex] are elements of a vector space with local basis [itex](dx^1,dx^2,\dots,dx^n)[/itex]

The 2-forms are elements of the exterior product space with local basis [itex](dx^1\wedge dx^2,\ \dots)[/itex]

In flat space with a global basis, the "d"s in the bases may be omitted.

In ordinary 3-dimensional space, a 2-form is a directed area, whose normal covector (1-form) is the dual (Hodge dual) of the 2-form.

Equations

In ordinary 3-dimensional space with basis [itex](i,j,k)[/itex]:

the 2-forms have the basis:
[tex](j\wedge k,\ k\wedge i,\ i\wedge j)[/tex]

and the 3-forms are all multiples of:
[tex]i\wedge j \wedge k[/tex]

and there are no higher forms.

The curl [itex]\mathbf{\nabla}\times\mathbf{a}[/itex] of a vector and the cross product [itex]\mathbf{a}\times\mathbf{b}[/itex] of two vectors are covectors, or 1-forms, whose duals (Hodge duals) are 2-forms which are, respectively, the exterior derivative and exterior product of their covectors:

[tex]\ast(\mathbf{\nabla}\times\mathbf{a}_i)\ =\ d \mathbf{a}^i[/tex]

[tex]\ast(\mathbf{a}_i\times\mathbf{b}_i)\ =\ \mathbf{a}^i\wedge \mathbf{b}^i[/tex]

Extended explanation

p-forms (differential forms):

Generally, for any number p, the p-forms are elements of the exterior product space with basis [itex](dx^1\wedge dx^2\wedge\cdots \wedge dx^p,\cdots )[/itex]

p-forms in 4-dimensional space-time:

The 2-forms in 4-dimensional space-time (Newtonian or Einsteinian) with basis [itex](t,i,j,k)[/itex] have the basis:
[tex](t\wedge i,\ t\wedge j,\ t\wedge k,\ j\wedge k,\ k\wedge i,\ i\wedge j)[/tex]

and the 3-forms have the basis:
[tex](i\wedge j \wedge k,\ t\wedge i \wedge j,\ t\wedge j\wedge k,\ t\wedge k\wedge i,)[/tex]

and the 4-forms are all multiples of:
[tex]t\wedge i\wedge j \wedge k[/tex]

and there are no higher forms.

Electromagnetic 2-forms

The best-known 2-forms are the Faraday 2-form for electromagnetic field strength [itex]\mathbf{F}\,=\,\frac{1}{2} F_{ij}dx^i\wedge dx^j[/itex], with coordinates [itex](E_x,E_y,E_z,B_x,B_y,B_z)[/itex], and its dual (Hodge dual), the Maxwell 2-form [itex]\ast\mathbf{F}[/itex], with coordinates [itex](-E_x,-E_y,-E_z,B_x,B_y,B_z)[/itex]

Maxwell's equations may be written:

[tex]d \mathbf{F}\ =\ 0[/tex]

[tex]d(\ast\mathbf{F})\ =\ \mathbf{J}[/tex]

where [itex]\mathbf{J}[/itex] is the current 3-form:

[tex]\mathbf{J}\ =\ \ast(\rho,\ J_x,\ J_y,\ J_z) = \rho i\wedge j\wedge k\ +\ J_x t\wedge j\wedge k\ +\ J_y t\wedge k\wedge i\ +\ J_z t\wedge i\wedge j[/tex]

* This entry is from our old Library feature. If you know who wrote it, please let us know so we can attribute a writer. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org

1. What is a 1-form and how is it different from a 2-form?

A 1-form is a linear function that takes in a vector as input and returns a scalar value as output. It is different from a 2-form, which takes in two vectors as input and returns a scalar value as output.

2. How are 1-forms and 2-forms used in vector spaces?

1-forms and 2-forms are used to define the concept of duality in vector spaces. They allow us to perform operations on vectors and their dual counterparts, such as taking inner products and defining coordinate transformations.

3. Can you give an example of a 1-form and a 2-form in a vector space?

An example of a 1-form could be a linear transformation that takes in a vector in 2D space and returns the length of that vector. An example of a 2-form could be a determinant function that takes in two vectors in 3D space and returns the signed volume of the parallelogram formed by those vectors.

4. How do 1-forms and 2-forms relate to differential forms?

1-forms and 2-forms are specific types of differential forms. Differential forms are mathematical objects that generalize the concept of a function, allowing for the integration of vector fields over surfaces or higher dimensional spaces.

5. What are some real-world applications of 1-forms and 2-forms?

1-forms and 2-forms are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. In physics, they are used to describe the concept of work and energy. In engineering, they are used to model fluid flows and electromagnetic fields. In economics, they are used to analyze production and consumption functions.