Exploring a Lie 3-Algebra: Does a=-g Mean a*x^1=-g*x^2?

• Thread starter Digs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, the Lie 3-algebra has a bracket that looks like this: [x1,x2,x3]=c*x0+a*x1+g*x2+h*x3, with c,a,g,h, some structure constants. The Fundamental Identity says that a=-g, so [x1,x2,x3]=c*x0+a*x2-g*x2+h*x3 is a valid equation.
Digs
Hi!

Im messing around with a Lie 3-Algebra at the moment(Im not sure how widespread these are. They obey similar rules to a Lie Algebra).

I have a bracket that looks like this:
[x1,x2,x3]=c*x0+a*x1+g*x2+h*x3, with c,a,g,h, some structure constants.

I also have the relation a=-g.
Am I allowed to then say [x1,x2,x3]=c*x0+a*x2-g*x2+h*x3
or [x1,x2,x3]=c*x0=h*x3?

I suppose my question amounts to does a=-g also mean a*x^1=-g*x^2?

thanks so much

Physics news on Phys.org
Digs said:
Hi!

Im messing around with a Lie 3-Algebra at the moment(Im not sure how widespread these are. They obey similar rules to a Lie Algebra).

I have a bracket that looks like this:
[x1,x2,x3]=c*x0+a*x1+g*x2+h*x3, with c,a,g,h, some structure constants.

I also have the relation a=-g.
Am I allowed to then say [x1,x2,x3]=c*x0+a*x2-g*x2+h*x3
Why would you ask? you have replaced x1 by x2 and g by -g. What right do you have to do that?

or [x1,x2,x3]=c*x0=h*x3?

I suppose my question amounts to does a=-g also mean a*x^1=-g*x^2?
No, of course not. Knowing that a=-g tells you nothing about ax1. Knowing that a= -g tells you that ax1= -gx1, not -gx2.

thanks so much

in hindsight that was a silly question
thanks for your help though

Bumping this for some more structure constant help.
I'm attempting to figure out what a particular Lie 3-algebra is by classifying it's structure constants, which are constrained by what's called the Fundamental Identity(Which is the 3-analog of the Jacobi Identity for normal Lie algebras).

I'm convinced I'm not doing something right as I've actually never computed an algebra this way before(I've only previously studied matrix lie algebras): could someone take a look at my equations?
I've unwound the identity into a system of equations that looks like

1. a=b
2. cd=ea
3. cf=eg
4.cb=eh
5. -g=j
6.ck=la
7.cm=lg
8.cj=lh
9.k=-f
10.ld=ek
11.lf=em
12.lb=ej

where {a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,j,k,l,m} are all 4 indexed structure constants. I was proceeding before trying to divide by various things, but now I've realized that's probably not a legal move as these are indexed objects. Any advice would be wonderful!

Related to Exploring a Lie 3-Algebra: Does a=-g Mean a*x^1=-g*x^2?

1. What is a 3-algebra?

A 3-algebra is a mathematical structure that extends the concept of a vector space to include three independent basis elements. It can also be thought of as a generalization of the familiar 2-dimensional complex numbers to 3 dimensions.

2. What is "a=-g" referring to in the context of a 3-algebra?

In the context of a 3-algebra, "a=-g" refers to a specific equation that describes the relationship between two basis elements, where "a" and "-g" are coefficients and the "=" sign signifies equality.

3. What does "x^1" and "x^2" represent in the equation a*x^1=-g*x^2?

In this equation, "x^1" and "x^2" represent two different basis elements within the 3-algebra. These elements are typically denoted by superscripts rather than subscripts to indicate their independence from each other.

4. How does the concept of a 3-algebra relate to exploring a lie algebra?

A 3-algebra is a specific type of lie algebra, which is a mathematical structure that studies the properties of vector spaces and their transformations. Exploring a lie algebra involves examining the relationships and properties of these transformations, which can be extended to 3 dimensions in the case of a 3-algebra.

5. What does the equation a*x^1=-g*x^2 signify in terms of the 3-algebra's properties?

This equation signifies a specific relationship between the two basis elements x^1 and x^2, where the coefficients a and -g determine the scaling and orientation of these elements. It is an important property of a 3-algebra and can be used to derive other properties and relationships within the structure.