Exploring Arc Lengths and Curves

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arc Curves
In summary, the author is discussing how to calculate the arc length using different representations for the function. The symbol $s$ represents the arc length, while $\delta s$ represents the approximation of the curve.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

In some notes that I am reading there is the following:

View attachment 4793

$$(\delta s)^2=(\delta x)^2+(\delta y)^2 \Rightarrow \left (\frac{\delta s}{\delta x}\right )^2=1+\left (\frac{\delta y}{\delta x}\right )^2$$ When $\delta x \rightarrow 0 $ we get $$(s'(x))^2=1+(y'(x))^2 \Rightarrow s'(x)=\sqrt{1+(f'(x))^2} \Rightarrow s(x)=\int_A^x \sqrt{1+(f'(s))^2}ds$$

I have understood it as follows:

We have the curve $s$ and $\delta s$ is an approximation of the curve, so we get the triangle $\delta x$, $\delta y$, $\delta s$ and we apply the Pythagorean Theorem to get $(\delta s)^2=(\delta x)^2+(\delta y)^2$. This is equal to $\left (\frac{\delta s}{\delta x}\right )^2=1+\left (\frac{\delta y}{\delta x}\right )^2$.

From the limit $$s'(x)=\lim_{h \rightarrow 0}\frac{s(x+h)-s(x)}{h}=\lim_{h \rightarrow 0}\frac{\delta s}{h}$$ (resp. $y'(x)$) for $h=\delta x$ we get $(s'(x))^2=1+(y'(x))^2$.

Then taking the square root of the last equality we get $s'(x)=\pm \sqrt{1+(y'(x))^2}$.

Why do we take only the positive one, $s'(x)=\sqrt{1+(y'(x))^2}$ ?

After that we take integral to get $s(x)$.

Is everything correct?

Is $s(x)$ the curve or the arc length ?

After that there is the following:

$\sigma : [0, 1] \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^2 \text{ or } \mathbb{R}^3$
$$I(\sigma )=\int_0^1 ||\sigma '(t)||dt$$
$$d\sigma (t)=\sigma '(t)dt \\ |ds|=||\sigma '(t)||dt \\\ \sigma (t)=(\sigma_1 (t), \sigma_2 (t), \sigma_3 (t)), t \in [0, 1] \\ ||\sigma '(t)||=\sqrt{(\sigma_1' (t))^2, (\sigma_2' (t))^2,( \sigma_3' (t))^2}$$

So when we have a function in $\mathbb{R}$ we use the formula $s(x)$ and when we have a function in $\mathbb{R}^2$ or $\mathbb{R}^3$ we use the last formula $I(\sigma )$ to calculate the arc length?

Attachments

• arc.png
    arc.png
    2 KB · Views: 53
Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Why do we take only the positive one, $s'(x)=\sqrt{1+(y'(x))^2}$ ?

After that we take integral to get $s(x)$.

Is everything correct?

Is $s(x)$ the curve or the arc length ?

Hi mathmari! (Mmm)

The symbol $s$ represents the arc length.
A length is always positive, therefore we only look at the positive root.
$s(x)$ is the arc length of the curve from some starting point $A$ up to a point with coordinate $x$.
This only works if $x$ is monotonous while traversing the curve.

We have to be careful though.
There is a chance the $s$ is also used to represent the curve, which would be bad practice.
Properly it should be $\mathbf s$ that represents the curve, using a bold face to indicate that it's a vector instead of a scalar. (Nerd)
After that there is the following:

$\sigma : [0, 1] \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^2 \text{ or } \mathbb{R}^3$
$$I(\sigma )=\int_0^1 ||\sigma '(t)||dt$$
$$d\sigma (t)=\sigma '(t)dt \\ |ds|=||\sigma '(t)||dt \\\ \sigma (t)=(\sigma_1 (t), \sigma_2 (t), \sigma_3 (t)), t \in [0, 1] \\ ||\sigma '(t)||=\sqrt{(\sigma_1' (t))^2, (\sigma_2' (t))^2,( \sigma_3' (t))^2}$$

So when we have a function in $\mathbb{R}$ we use the formula $s(x)$ and when we have a function in $\mathbb{R}^2$ or $\mathbb{R}^3$ we use the last formula $I(\sigma )$ to calculate the arc length?

This is a more general representation that doesn't rely on whether the x coordinate is monotonous or not.
The symbol $\sigma$ has been chosen to represent the same thing as $s$, the arc length, just with a different parameter.
They are related as follows:
$$\sigma(t) = s(x(t))$$
where
$$x(t) = \sigma_1(t)$$
(Wink)

mathmari said:
$$(\delta s)^2=(\delta x)^2+(\delta y)^2 \Rightarrow \left (\frac{\delta s}{\delta x}\right )^2=1+\left (\frac{\delta y}{\delta x}\right )^2$$ When $\delta x \rightarrow 0 $ we get $$(s'(x))^2=1+(y'(x))^2 \Rightarrow s'(x)=\sqrt{1+(f'(x))^2} \Rightarrow s(x)=\int_A^x \sqrt{1+(f'(s))^2}ds$$
I like Serena said:
The symbol $s$ represents the arc length.
A length is always positive, therefore we only look at the positive root.
$s(x)$ is the arc length of the curve from some starting point $A$ up to a point with coordinate $x$.
This only works if $x$ is monotonous while traversing the curve.

We have to be careful though.
There is a chance the $s$ is also used to represent the curve, which would be bad practice.
Properly it should be $\mathbf s$ that represents the curve, using a bold face to indicate that it's a vector instead of a scalar. (Nerd)
At the point where we apply the Pythagorean theorem, does $s$ represent the curve or the arc length? And wht $\delta s$ ?
I like Serena said:
This is a more general representation that doesn't rely on whether the x coordinate is monotonous or not.
The symbol $\sigma$ has been chosen to represent the same thing as $s$, the arc length, just with a different parameter.
They are related as follows:
$$\sigma(t) = s(x(t))$$
where
$$x(t) = \sigma_1(t)$$
(Wink)

I see... (Sun)

mathmari said:
At the point where we apply the Pythagorean theorem, does $s$ represent the curve or the arc length? And wht $\delta s$ ?

Let's just say that $\delta s$ represents a small distance along the curve, small enough to be considered straight so we can apply the Pythagorean theorem.
Adding up all $\delta s$ values will give us the curve length (in the limit). (Mmm)

What is the definition of arc length?

Arc length is the distance along a curve or arc, measured in linear units, from one endpoint to another. It is the sum of all the infinitesimal lengths of the curve.

How is the arc length calculated?

The arc length of a curve can be calculated using a definite integral. The formula for arc length is: L = ∫ab √(1 + (dy/dx)2) dx, where a and b are the endpoints of the curve.

What is the relationship between arc length and radius?

The arc length of a curve is directly proportional to its radius. This means that the longer the radius, the longer the arc length will be. Conversely, a shorter radius will result in a shorter arc length.

Can arc length be negative?

No, arc length cannot be negative. It is a distance and therefore, it is always positive. However, the value of arc length can be zero if the curve is a straight line or if the endpoints are the same.

What is the difference between arc length and arc measure?

Arc length is a distance, while arc measure is an angle. Arc length is measured in linear units such as centimeters or inches, while arc measure is measured in degrees or radians. Arc length is the actual length of the curve, while arc measure is the angle subtended by the arc at the center of the circle.