Exploring Electron Gun Deflection: Causes and Resources for Understanding

In summary: Electron optics is pretty damn hard stuff and the particular situation determines a lot about the gun design. Like, for instance, the high frequency oscilloscope tubes that used post deflection acceleration in order to get a bright line plus a fast scan.
SWKatzen
Hi,
I was wondering if anybody knows why the plate in an electron gun is tilted with respect to the electron path? Or has any resources that I could read to better understand? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
SWKatzen said:
I was wondering if anybody knows why the plate in an electron gun is tilted with respect to the electron path?
Tilted plate in an electron gun? Did you mean an X-ray tube?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-ray_tube

No sorry, the sheet between the two plates is at an angle to the electron stream. This is what I’m not sure about-

SWKatzen said:
Hi,
I was wondering if anybody knows why the plate in an electron gun is tilted with respect to the electron path? Or has any resources that I could read to better understand? Thanks.
Can you link to some pages that show this? That would help us out. Thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_gun

1602441306981.png

SWKatzen said:
No sorry, the sheet between the two plates is at an angle to the electron stream. This is what I’m not sure about-
So that the electron beam will scan the whole screen rather than just a small region in the central area

davenn said:
So that the electron beam will scan the whole screen rather than just a small region in the central area
In a CRT TV tube, the deflection is magnetic and comes after the beam leaves the gun. We'd really need to see the particular gun that you are discussing.

sophiecentaur said:
n a CRT TV tube, the deflection is magnetic and comes after the beam leaves the gun.

Yes, I know that

davenn said:
Yes, I know that
Yeah, I thought you would but did the OP know? It could be that the throat of the gun is flared because there is a finite magnetic deflection, even that far back.
Electron optics is pretty damn hard stuff and the particular situation determines a lot about the gun design. Like, for instance, the high frequency oscilloscope tubes that used post deflection acceleration in order to get a bright line plus a fast scan. (Now that came out of my memory from a long time ago.)

1. What is an electron gun?

An electron gun is a device that generates a beam of electrons, typically used in cathode ray tubes (CRTs) and electron microscopes.

2. How does an electron gun work?

An electron gun works by using a high voltage to accelerate electrons from a cathode to an anode. The electrons are then focused into a beam and directed towards a target.

3. What causes electron gun deflection?

Electron gun deflection can be caused by several factors, including magnetic fields, electric fields, and external forces on the electron beam. These forces can alter the trajectory of the electrons and cause them to deviate from their intended path.

4. How can I understand electron gun deflection better?

To better understand electron gun deflection, it is helpful to have a basic understanding of electromagnetism and how electric and magnetic fields interact with charged particles. Additionally, studying the design and components of an electron gun can provide insight into its operation.

5. What resources are available for learning about electron gun deflection?

There are many resources available for learning about electron gun deflection, including textbooks, online articles and tutorials, and educational videos. Additionally, universities and research institutions often offer courses or workshops on the topic.