Exploring Level Lines and Gradient in Multivariable Calculus

In summary, we discussed the function $f:\mathbb{R}^2\rightarrow \mathbb{R}$ with $$f(x,y)=\frac{x^2-1}{y^2+1}$$ and its level lines $N_c$ for different values of $c$. We determined that for $c=0$, there are two lines $x=1$ and $x=-1$, for $c>0$, there are hyperbolas, and for $-1<c<0$, there are ellipses. We also found a possible parametrization for each connected component of the non-empty level lines, and discussed how to calculate the gradient $\nabla f(\gamma_c(t))$.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :giggle:

We consider the function $f:\mathbb{R}^2\rightarrow \mathbb{R}$ with $$f(x,y)=\frac{x^2-1}{y^2+1}$$
(a) Describe and draw the level lines $N_c$ of $f$ for all $c\in \mathbb{R}$. Determine for each connected component of each non-empty level lines $N_c$ a parametrization $\gamma_c:I\rightarrow \mathbb{R}$.
(b) Calculate the gradient $\nabla f(\gamma_c(t))$ of $f$ in the point $\gamma_c(t)\in \mathbb{R}^2$. Show directly that $\nabla f(\gamma_c(t))$ is orthogonal to the level lines $N_c$ at the point $\gamma_c(t)$.
(c) Let $x\in \mathbb{R}^2$, such that $\nabla f(x)\neq 0$. Determine the direction with maximum directional derivative of $f$ in point $x$.For (a) :
We have that $$f(x,y)=c \Rightarrow \frac{x^2-1}{y^2+1}=c \Rightarrow x^2-1=(y^2+1)c \Rightarrow x^2-cy^2-(c+1)=0$$
If $c=0$ then we have $x^2=1 \Rightarrow x\pm 1$, so we get the lines $x=1$ and $x=-1$.
If $c>0$ we have then $c=m^2>0$. So $x^2-m^2y^2-(m^2+1)=0 \Rightarrow x^2-m^2y^2=(m^2+1)$. We have $B^2-4AC=0-4\cdot 1\cdot (-m^2)=m^2>0$. So it is the general equation of an hyperbola with axes parallel to the coordinate axes.
If $c<0$ we have then $c=-m^2<0$. So $x^2+m^2y^2-(-m^2+1)=0 \Rightarrow x^2+m^2y^2=(-m^2+1)$. The left side is always non-negative, so also the right side must be. So $1-m^2\geq0 \Rightarrow m^2\leq1 \Rightarrow -1\leq -m^2 \Rightarrow -1\leq c$. That means that is $c$ is negative then $c$ must be greater or equal to $-1$. If $-1<c<0$ then we have the general formula of an ellipse. If $c=-1$ then we get $x^2+y^2=0$ which is the point $(0,0)$.

Is that correct?

How do we determine for each connected component of each non-empty level lines $N_c$ a parametrization $\gamma_c:I\rightarrow \mathbb{R}$ ?

:unsure:For (b) :
We have that $$\nabla f(x,y)=\frac{2x}{y^2+1}\hat{i}+\frac{-2(x^2-1)y}{(y^2+1)^2}\hat{j}$$ But how do we get $\nabla f(\gamma_c(t))$ ? :unsure:For (c) :
The maximum value of the directional derivative occurs when $\nabla f$ and the unit vector point in the same direction.
But how can we find that? Dowenot need aspecific point here? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
For (a) :
We have that $$f(x,y)=c \Rightarrow \frac{x^2-1}{y^2+1}=c \Rightarrow x^2-1=(y^2+1)c \Rightarrow x^2-cy^2-(c+1)=0$$
If $c=0$ then we have $x^2=1 \Rightarrow x\pm 1$, so we get the lines $x=1$ and $x=-1$.
If $c>0$ we have then $c=m^2>0$. So $x^2-m^2y^2-(m^2+1)=0 \Rightarrow x^2-m^2y^2=(m^2+1)$. We have $B^2-4AC=0-4\cdot 1\cdot (-m^2)=m^2>0$. So it is the general equation of an hyperbola with axes parallel to the coordinate axes.
If $c<0$ we have then $c=-m^2<0$. So $x^2+m^2y^2-(-m^2+1)=0 \Rightarrow x^2+m^2y^2=(-m^2+1)$. The left side is always non-negative, so also the right side must be. So $1-m^2\geq0 \Rightarrow m^2\leq1 \Rightarrow -1\leq -m^2 \Rightarrow -1\leq c$. That means that is $c$ is negative then $c$ must be greater or equal to $-1$. If $-1<c<0$ then we have the general formula of an ellipse. If $c=-1$ then we get $x^2+y^2=0$ which is the point $(0,0)$.

Hey mathmari!

Looks correct to me. (Nod)

mathmari said:
How do we determine for each connected component of each non-empty level lines $N_c$ a parametrization $\gamma_c:I\rightarrow \mathbb{R}$ ?

So we have ellipses and hyperbolas.
A possible parametrization is $(a\cos t, b\cos t)$ respectively $(a\cosh t, b\cosh t)$.
Can we find the corresponding $a$ and $b$ for a specific $c$? 🤔

If we do so, we can get:
\begin{tikzpicture}
\clip (-4,-4) rectangle (4,4);
\draw[help lines] (-4,-4) grid (4,4);
\draw[-latex] (-4,0) -- (4,0);
\draw[-latex] (0,-4) -- (0,4);
\draw foreach \i in {-3,...,3} { (\i,0.1) -- (\i,-0.1) node[below] {$\i$} };
\draw foreach \i in {-3,...,3} { (0.1,\i) -- (-0.1,\i) node[ left ] {$\i$} };
\foreach \c in {-.9,-.7,...,-.1} {
\draw[domain=0:360, variable=\t] plot ({sqrt(1+\c)*cos(\t)}, {sqrt(-1-1/\c)*sin(\t)});
}
\foreach \c in {0.1,0.2,...,3} {
\draw[domain=-5:5, variable=\t, smooth] plot ({-sqrt(1+\c)*cosh(\t)}, {sqrt(1+1/\c)*sinh(\t)});
\draw[domain=-5:5, variable=\t, smooth] plot ({sqrt(1+\c)*cosh(\t)}, {sqrt(1+1/\c)*sinh(\t)});
}
\draw (-1,-4) -- (-1,4);
\draw (1,-4) -- (1,4);
\end{tikzpicture}
🤔

mathmari said:
For (b) :
We have that $$\nabla f(x,y)=\frac{2x}{y^2+1}\hat{i}+\frac{-2(x^2-1)y}{(y^2+1)^2}\hat{j}$$ But how do we get $\nabla f(\gamma_c(t))$ ?

First we'll need to find $\gamma_c(t)$, which we can then substitute. :unsure:

mathmari said:
For (c) :
The maximum value of the directional derivative occurs when $\nabla f$ and the unit vector point in the same direction.
But how can we find that? Do we not need a specific point here?
We can also tell by looking at the graph of the level curves.
The gradient is highest where the curves are closest together.
Where is that? 🤔

Klaas van Aarsen said:
So we have ellipses and hyperbolas.
A possible parametrization is $(a\cos t, b\cos t)$ respectively $(a\cosh t, b\cosh t)$.
Can we find the corresponding $a$ and $b$ for a specific $c$? 🤔

For the ellipse we have $$x^2-cy^2-(c+1)=0 \Rightarrow x^2-cy^2=(c+1) \Rightarrow \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{c+1}^2}+\frac{y^2}{\left (\sqrt{\frac{c+1}{-c}}\right )^2}=1$$ So does that mean that $a=\sqrt{c+1}$ and $b=\sqrt{\frac{c+1}{-c}}$ with $-1<c<0$ ?

So is a parametrization $\gamma_c=\left (\sqrt{c+1}\cos(t), \sqrt{\frac{c+1}{-c}}\sin (t)\right )$ ? For the hyperbola we have $$x^2-cy^2-(c+1)=0 \Rightarrow x^2-cy^2=(c+1) \Rightarrow \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{c+1}^2}-\frac{y^2}{\left (\sqrt{\frac{c+1}{c}}\right )^2}=1$$ So does that mean that $a=\sqrt{c+1}$ and $b=\sqrt{\frac{c+1}{c}}$ with $c>0$ ?

So is a parametrization $\gamma_c=\left (\sqrt{c+1}\cosh(t), \sqrt{\frac{c+1}{c}}\sinh (t)\right )$ ? Do we have to consider also the cases $c=0$ and $c=-1$ ? :unsure:

mathmari said:
So is a parametrization $\gamma_c=\left (\sqrt{c+1}\cos(t), \sqrt{\frac{c+1}{-c}}\sin (t)\right )$ ?

Yep. (Nod)

mathmari said:
So is a parametrization $\gamma_c=\left (\sqrt{c+1}\cosh(t), \sqrt{\frac{c+1}{c}}\sinh (t)\right )$ ?

This only covers the parts of the hyperbolas with positive x. :rolleyes:

mathmari said:
Do we have to consider also the cases $c=0$ and $c=-1$ ?

I guess so. After all, the question asks for each connected component of non-empty level curves.
So we should add them for completeness. 🤔

Klaas van Aarsen said:
This only covers the parts of the hyperbolas with positive x. :rolleyes:

Do you mean to take at each $a$ and $b$ also the minus sign?
I mean: $\gamma_c=\left (\pm\sqrt{c+1}\cos(t), \pm\sqrt{\frac{c+1}{-c}}\sin (t)\right )$ and $\gamma_c=\left (\pm\sqrt{c+1}\cosh(t), \pm \sqrt{\frac{c+1}{c}}\sinh (t)\right )$ ? :unsure:
Klaas van Aarsen said:
I guess so. After all, the question asks for each connected component of non-empty level curves.
So we should add them for completeness. 🤔

For $c=0$ we have the lines $x=\pm1$. Is a parametrization $\gamma_0(t)=(t,0)$ ? :unsure:

For $c=-1$ we have the point $(0,0)$. Is a parametrization $\gamma_{-1}(t)=(0,0)$ ? :unsure:

mathmari said:
Do you mean to take at each $a$ and $b$ also the minus sign? I mean:
$\gamma_c=\left (\pm\sqrt{c+1}\cosh(t), \pm \sqrt{\frac{c+1}{c}}\sinh (t)\right )$ ?

No need to invert the y-coordinate.
We have both:
$$\gamma_c^+(t)=\left (\sqrt{c+1}\cosh(t), \sqrt{\frac{c+1}{c}}\sinh (t)\right )$$
and:
$$\gamma_c^-(t)=\left (-\sqrt{c+1}\cosh(t), \sqrt{\frac{c+1}{c}}\sinh (t)\right )$$
which are the two unconnected components of the same hyperbola. 🧐

mathmari said:
For $c=0$ we have the lines $x=\pm1$. Is a parametrization $\gamma_0(t)=(t,0)$ ?

Suppose we substitute $t=2$, then we get $(2,0)$.
That doesn't have $x=\pm1$. Furthermore, $y$ is not restricted to be $0$ is it? :oops:

mathmari said:
For $c=-1$ we have the point $(0,0)$. Is a parametrization $\gamma_{-1}(t)=(0,0)$ ?
Yep. (Nod)

Last edited:
Klaas van Aarsen said:
No need to invert the y-coordinate.
We have both:
$$\gamma_c^+(t)=\left (\sqrt{c+1}\cos(t), \sqrt{\frac{c+1}{-c}}\sin (t)\right )$$
and:
$$\gamma_c^-(t)=\left (-\sqrt{c+1}\cos(t), \sqrt{\frac{c+1}{-c}}\sin (t)\right )$$
which are the two unconnected components of the same hyperbola. 🧐

In that way we write both the hyperbola and the ellipse, or not? :unsure:
Klaas van Aarsen said:
Suppose we substitute $t=2$, then we get $(2,0)$.
That doesn't have $x=\pm1$. Furthermore, $y$ is not restricted to be $0$ is it? :oops:

Ah yes! So is the parametrization $\gamma_0(t)=(1,t)$ ? :unsure:

mathmari said:
In that way we write both the hyperbola and the ellipse, or not?

My mistake. I meant to write $\cosh$ and $\sinh$. (Blush)
They were just for the hyperbola.
I've corrected that in my previous post now.

Oh, and we don't need $\pm$ for the ellipse at all. The parametrization already covers the whole ellipse, which is one connected component after all. :geek:

mathmari said:
Ah yes! So is the parametrization $\gamma_0(t)=(1,t)$ ?
Yes... but that is only for $x=+1$. We are still missing $x=-1$. 🧐

Klaas van Aarsen said:
My mistake. I meant to write $\cosh$ and $\sinh$. (Blush)
They were just for the hyperbola.
I've corrected that in my previous post now.

Why do we need to do that only for the hyperbola? :unsure:
Klaas van Aarsen said:
Yes... but that is only for $x=+1$. We are still missing $x=-1$. 🧐

Oh yes! It must be $\gamma_0(t)=(\pm 1, t)$, right? :unsure:

mathmari said:
Why do we need to do that only for the hyperbola?

Because a hyperbola consists of 2 disconnected parts.
The parametrization $(a\cosh t, b\sinh t)$ is only for the part with positive x.
When we put a minus ($-$) before the x-coordinate, we effectively mirror it in the y-axis so that we get the part with negative x.
But when we mirror an ellipse in the y-axis, we just get the same ellipse. (Nerd)

mathmari said:
Oh yes! It must be $\gamma_0(t)=(\pm 1, t)$, right?
Yep. (Nod)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Because a hyperbola consists of 2 disconnected parts.
The parametrization $(a\cosh t, b\sinh t)$ is only for the part with positive x.
When we put a minus ($-$) before the x-coordinate, we effectively mirror it in the y-axis so that we get the part with negative x.
But when we mirror an ellipse in the y-axis, we just get the same ellipse. (Nerd)

Ahh ok! At question (b): Do we substitute at $\nabla f(x,y)=\frac{2x}{y^2+1}\hat{i}+\frac{-2(x^2-1)y}{(y^2+1)^2}\hat{j}$ the parametrizations? Or do we calculate first $f(\gamma_c(t))$ and then the derivative? :unsure:

mathmari said:
At question (b): Do we substitute at $\nabla f(x,y)=\frac{2x}{y^2+1}\hat{i}+\frac{-2(x^2-1)y}{(y^2+1)^2}\hat{j}$ the parametrizations? Or do we calculate first $f(\gamma_c(t))$ and then the derivative?
The derivative $\frac d{dt}\left (f(\gamma_c(t))\right)$ is something different isn't it? 🤔

Yes!

At the second part of the question we have to use the partial derivative and the dot product, or not ? :unsure:
Klaas van Aarsen said:
We can also tell by looking at the graph of the level curves.
The gradient is highest where the curves are closest together.
Where is that? 🤔

At x=2 ans x=-2? :unsure:

mathmari said:
At the second part of the question we have to use the partial derivative and the dot product, or not ?

Which partial derivative? 🤔
mathmari said:
At x=2 ans x=-2?
Suppose we evaluate the gradient at (x,0).
What do we get? 🤔
Will it be largest at x=2? 🤔

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Which partial derivative? 🤔

I meant the gradient. So do we have to calculate the dot product of $\nabla f(\gamma_c(t)) $ and $\gamma_c(t) $? :unsure:

mathmari said:
I meant the gradient. So do we have to calculate the dot product of $\nabla f(\gamma_c(t)) $ and $\gamma_c(t) $?
Not $\gamma_c(t) $. We need a tangent vector of the level curve at $\gamma_c(t)$. 🤔

Last edited:
Klaas van Aarsen said:
Not $\gamma_c(t) $. We need a tangent vector of the level curve at $\gamma_c(t)$. 🤔

How do we find the tangent vector? I got stuck right now. :unsure:

Isn't $\dot\gamma_c(t)$ a tangent vector (if it is not 0)? 🤔

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Suppose we evaluate the gradient at (x,0).
What do we get? 🤔
Will it be largest at x=2? 🤔

We get then $(2x,0)$, so the largest is not at $x=2$, but gets larger as $x$ gets larger. So how do we get the maximum? :unsure:

mathmari said:
We get then (2x,0), so the largest is not at x=2, but gets larger as x gets larger.
Indeed. So the largest gradient is infinitely large.
Then again... perhaps that's not what the question was asking for. (Blush)

I guess we need to find the largest directional derivative at a specific point.
Since the directional derivative is the dot product of the corresponding unit vector and the gradient, it is largest if that unit vector points in the same direction as the gradient.
In other words, the direction is the same as the direction of the gradient.
And the magnitude is the same as the magnitude of the gradient. 🤔

Klaas van Aarsen said:
I guess we need to find the largest directional derivative at a specific point.
Since the directional derivative is the dot product of the corresponding unit vector and the gradient, it is largest if that unit vector points in the same direction as the gradient.
In other words, the direction is the same as the direction of the gradient.
And the magnitude is the same as the magnitude of the gradient. 🤔

So the direction is \begin{equation*}\nabla f(x,y)=\frac{2x}{y^2+1}\hat{i}+\frac{-2(x^2-1)y}{(y^2+1)^2}\hat{j}=\left (\frac{2x}{y^2+1}, \ \frac{-2(x^2-1)y}{(y^2+1)^2}\right )\end{equation*} and the magnitude is \begin{equation*}\|\nabla f(x,y)\|=\sqrt{\left (\frac{2x}{y^2+1}\right )^2+\left ( \frac{-2(x^2-1)y}{(y^2+1)^2}\right )^2}\end{equation*} ? :unsure:

mathmari said:
So the direction is \begin{equation*}\nabla f(x,y)=\frac{2x}{y^2+1}\hat{i}+\frac{-2(x^2-1)y}{(y^2+1)^2}\hat{j}=\left (\frac{2x}{y^2+1}, \ \frac{-2(x^2-1)y}{(y^2+1)^2}\right )\end{equation*} and the magnitude is \begin{equation*}\|\nabla f(x,y)\|=\sqrt{\left (\frac{2x}{y^2+1}\right )^2+\left ( \frac{-2(x^2-1)y}{(y^2+1)^2}\right )^2}\end{equation*} ? :unsure:
Yep. (Nod)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Yep. (Nod)

Great! Thank you! (Sun)

1. What are level lines and gradient?

Level lines and gradient are concepts used in mathematics and science to describe the slope or steepness of a surface. Level lines are imaginary lines drawn on a surface that connect points with the same elevation or height. Gradient, also known as slope, refers to the change in elevation over a given distance.

2. How are level lines and gradient related?

Level lines and gradient are closely related because level lines are used to calculate the gradient of a surface. The gradient is determined by measuring the change in elevation between two points on a level line and dividing it by the distance between those points.

3. What is the significance of level lines and gradient?

Level lines and gradient are important in various fields such as geology, geography, and engineering. They help us understand the topography of a surface, identify areas of high and low elevation, and determine the direction of water flow. In engineering, they are used to design roads, bridges, and other structures.

4. How are level lines and gradient represented?

Level lines are typically represented on maps and diagrams by contour lines, which are lines that connect points with the same elevation. The gradient is often represented by arrows, with the direction of the arrow indicating the direction of the slope and the length of the arrow representing the steepness of the slope.

5. How do level lines and gradient affect the environment?

Level lines and gradient play a crucial role in shaping the environment. They determine the flow of water, which affects erosion and sedimentation patterns. They also impact the movement of glaciers, the formation of landforms, and the distribution of plants and animals in an area.