Exploring Neutron Population in Sub-Critical Reactor with Heavy Water Reflector

In summary, The conversation discusses a reactor being held sub-critical by control rods, with a heavy water reflector and a source of neutrons from spontaneous fission. The neutron population should be increasing for keff = 1, but this is not the case due to the presence of delayed and source neutrons. The use of spontaneous fission is not entirely accurate, as there is also fast fission in U-238 and the conversion of U-238 to Pu-239. There is a multitude of equilibrium neutron population levels for keff < 1, and for each distinct value of keff there is a corresponding value of neutron population. The presence of a constant source means that there will always be a constant neutron population, regardless
relayer
Consider a reactor being held sub-critical, Keff < 1, by control rods. The reactor has heavy water reflector and has been operatored for some time prior to the current state (we got Photo Neutrons). Keff is then bought to

It seems to me, for Keff = 1 the neutron population should be increasing even if we have allowed enough time for Delayed and Photo N's to reach equalibrium. We have a source of neutrons from spontaneous fission in the fuel mix, 238 235, that would cause this to be the case. If my understanding of the point kinetics equations is right, then, with a constant source term there would be an increasing neutron population and the increase would be linear(?). The rate of increase would be imperceptable to an operator.

For constant neutron population, constant power, at any operating power level, Keff < 1. Granted, very very close, but still less than one.

Is my thinking correct?
Can any provide an analytical solution (1 average delayed group with only thermal neutrons) with constant source term?

Kind Regards
PW

Engineering news on Phys.org
relayer said:
for Keff = 1 the neutron population should be increasing even if we have allowed enough time for Delayed and Photo N's to reach equlibrium.
No. The point of keff = 1 is that the neutron population includes delayed and source neutrons. The population due to prompt fission neutrons is simply n - delayed - source.

For keff = 1, the number of neutrons produced directly by fission, delayed neutrons, and source must balance the neutrons being absorbed (to cause more fissions, or parasitically captured) and leaking from the system.

Careful on the use of spontaneous fission which implies that the fissile nuclei undergo fission without an external (incident) neutron. Certaily in a fresh core with natural or enriched U, the bulk of fissions are from U-235, with some fast fission in U-238. As the reactor operates, some of the U-238 converts (is transformed to) Pu-239 (and higher istopes) which also experiences fission.

Can any provide an analytical solution (1 average delayed group with only thermal neutrons) with constant source term?
Sure, but one should be able to derive it relatively easy. This would be a standard homework problem in reactor physics.

Last edited:
I am new to this subject and texts that I have read suggest that with an independent source, independent of neutron flux, that there are a multitude of equalibrium (dn/dt = 0 ) neutron population levels for Keff < 1.

For each distinct value of keff < 1 there is distinct value of neutron population, n is proportional to -Source/(keff-1). Indeed, I have an old British text that states something along the lines; "then, in the critical reactor, n and rho are related by the condition

n = - (Source*tau)/(k*rho). " tau being the mean lifetime.

Again, many texts, state that U238 "spontaneously fissions", so there is always an independent source in a core containing U238. Then, if Keff = 1 gives dn/dt = 0, what many in the industry call "critical", there is another value of keff that gives dn/dt = 0, for the same neutron population level (power).

For example, if at start-up, Keff < 1, we double power a number of times the reactor can be at a very large power, call it P1, with Keff < 1, dn/dt = 0, without ever going "critical " during the process. If we are at a larger power, P2 and Keff = 1 and dn/dt = 0 we can reduce P2 by inserting control rods causing Keff < 1, then at P1 remove control rods to re-establish dn/dt = 0. Which Keff value are we at, 1, or something less than 1?

What I am having trouble seeing is that, for a distinct power level, there are two values of Keff (one being 1) that give dn/dt = 0.

Yours in confusion
rlr

OK, I think I see the source of confusion (no pun intended).

If there is a source, which is usually of constant strength, there will be a constant n(t), i.e. n(t) is proportional to S, whether k < 1 or k = 1. Only if k > 1 will n(t) increase. This also implies that the fissile source of neutrons is very low, i.e. [itex]\Sigma_f\phi[/itex] << S.

If [itex]\Sigma_f\phi[/itex] > S, then if the reactor keff becomes < 1, then dn(t)/dt < 0, and the reactor will decrease in power until either keff = 1, which could mean the source of negative reactivity is removed, or it continues until the n(t) is again directly proportional to S, i.e. the neutrons from fission << S.

A reactor can only increase in power, i.e. dn(t)/dt > 0 iffi keff or if the source strength is increased (e.g. by adding more sources).

1. What is a sub-critical reactor?

A sub-critical reactor is a type of nuclear reactor that operates below its critical point, meaning that it cannot sustain a chain reaction on its own. It requires an external source of neutrons to maintain the reaction.

2. What is a heavy water reflector?

A heavy water reflector is a component in a nuclear reactor that is used to slow down neutrons and reflect them back into the reactor core. It is made of heavy water, which contains a higher percentage of the isotope deuterium compared to regular water.

3. How does the neutron population affect the operation of a sub-critical reactor?

The neutron population is crucial in a sub-critical reactor as it determines the rate of the chain reaction. With a low neutron population, the reactor will operate at a slower pace or may even shut down. A high neutron population can lead to overheating and potential damage to the reactor.

4. What methods are used to explore the neutron population in a sub-critical reactor with a heavy water reflector?

There are various methods used to explore the neutron population in a sub-critical reactor with a heavy water reflector. These include neutron detectors, neutron activation analysis, and Monte Carlo simulations. Each method provides valuable information about the neutron population and its effects on the reactor.

5. Why is it important to study the neutron population in a sub-critical reactor with a heavy water reflector?

Studying the neutron population in a sub-critical reactor with a heavy water reflector is crucial for understanding the behavior and safety of the reactor. It allows scientists to optimize the reactor's performance, prevent accidents, and improve overall efficiency. Additionally, this research can contribute to the development of new and improved nuclear technologies.