Exploring Physics Concepts with Portal: A Teacher's Perspective

In summary: That being said, I think it's a great idea for people who are interested in teaching physics in a fun, engaging way. I have not tried it myself, but I think it would be a great way to get students interested in the subject.In summary, this resource, Teaching with Portal, is a way to teach physics using a puzzle-based game. It is restricted by code, but can be useful for getting students interested in the subject. Some people don't like it because it's not realistic.
Dopplershift
So I have found this awesome resource called 'Teaching with Portal"

For those who do not know, Portal is a puzzle game where players have to solve challenges given certain components in the environment that they are in.

Somebody has created a "Teaching with Portal" lesson plans (found here)

I am not a teacher yet as I am still in college, but I thought it was interesting. Has anyone tried it, if so I'm curious to see how it worked for you and your students?

What are people's thoughts on this in general?

Science news on Phys.org
Dopplershift said:
So I have found this awesome resource called 'Teaching with Portal"<snip>
What are people's thoughts on this in general?

My comment is the same for this as it is for all virtual labs: these are not replacements for real labs. One does not 'design experiments' in virtual labs, one is constrained by the code, which is at best an imperfect simulacrum of the real world.

Hmm...

Like what Andy just said, a virtual lab is constrained by code.

Now, something that would be much more useful would be creating/ using physics simulations with Source, the game engine that Portal runs on. Again, it would still be restricted by code, but it least you wouldn’t exactly be restricted to a puzzle-based story game with set-pieces.

I don't want to be negative, but I don't like teaching stuff about the real world like physics by using something that obviously doesn't exist and that gives rise to certain paradoxes easily.

micromass said:
I don't want to be negative, but I don't like teaching stuff about the real world like physics by using something that obviously doesn't exist and that gives rise to certain paradoxes easily.

Hence why Andy and I said that it's restricted by code: Code can't accurately display certain physics concepts due to it being just code, not actual, physical objects.

1. How can I incorporate the game Portal into my teaching?

There are several ways to use Portal in your teaching. You can have students play the game and then discuss the themes and concepts presented in the game. You can also have students create their own levels in the game to demonstrate their understanding of a particular topic. Additionally, you can use the game as a tool for teaching problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

2. What age group is appropriate for teaching with Portal?

Portal is recommended for ages 13 and up. However, you can modify the game or use it as a discussion tool for younger students.

3. Can Portal be used to teach specific subjects?

Yes, Portal can be used to teach a variety of subjects such as physics, mathematics, and computer science. The game's focus on problem-solving and critical thinking makes it a valuable tool for teaching these subjects.

4. Is it necessary for students to play the entire game to benefit from using it in teaching?

No, it is not necessary for students to play the entire game. You can select specific levels or create your own challenges for students to complete based on the concepts you want to teach.

5. How can I assess student learning when using Portal in teaching?

There are several ways to assess student learning when using Portal in teaching. You can have students complete written reflections or discussions about the game's themes and concepts. Additionally, you can have them create their own levels to demonstrate their understanding. You can also use traditional assessments such as quizzes or tests that incorporate concepts from the game.