Exploring Predator Vision: The Truth Behind Their Sight | Predator Movie Update

• Thread starter dahoa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vision
In summary, the new Predator movie is coming out soon. I just watched part 1 to 3, and this weekend the Predator vs Alien (part 4 and 5). And there is one thing that is not certain.
dahoa
The new Predator movie is coming out soon. I just watched part 1 to 3, and this weekend the Predator vs Alien (part 4 and 5). And there is one thing that is not certain.

Do the Predator Aliens have normal vision? In part 1.. it seems to see all red and has such low resolution it can't see Arnold schwarzenegger leaning on the tree at daylight.. the Aliens rely on Thermal device (and perhaps Ultraviolet too) vision to detect the enemies. Can't they detect the visible spectrum?

And can an alien civilization evolve without even having visible light detection capability? What animals are like this?

Likes pinball1970
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't comment in reference to the film because I'm not into movies much what I can say is we humans call 'visible light' 'visible' because to us it's visible but to many birds and insects for example an see ultraviolet light as well as our 'visible light' so for them if for the purposes of this we imagine they had the capacity to contextualise and catogerise like we do or with we imagine an alien civilization species whih sees the same as birds and insects their 'visible light' section of their spectrum diagram would include ultraviolet. Theoretically there is nothing to stop a species evolving to civilization level with an inferior range of visible light to other species unless a species with the better eyesight has a evolutionary advantage to the point where it extincts the bad eyesight species however even then the bad eyesight species might evolve to defend against this other species in a way that doesn't involve eyesight. Humans eyesight is not the best on the planet nor are we the strongest or the fastest nor do we have the best stamina but we do have the best brains and from this a collective knowledge to draw on which gives us a superior edge at least for now.

Then there are bats which don't see at all but can locate food and we presume create a picture which allows them to catch fast moving insects and I think they locate their roost via magnetic field but I'm not sure.

One final point while we can see with visible light, sometimes there is too much visible light. If you and I were looking towards Arnold Schwarzenegger leaning against a tree and the sun was bright low in the sky (or were all up high on a hill) if the sun was behind Arnold we would fail to see him as well

Two things...

1. What kind of technology can a civilization without ability for high resolution vision to perform surgery and produce IC (integrated Circuits) develop and how can they evolve?

2. The Predators have near invisibility camouflage.. when will this be viable in the future? Should it involve nanotech reflectors?

That's a good, interesting question to which there is not an easy answer because evolution as well as technological evolution can take different paths in isolation. Even with the absence of other technology in the 1920s it would be extremely hard to envision a time when people from all 4 corners of the world could partake in a business conference in which they can see each other without any of them having to leave the country they were in would would be more probable is that people would look at the wonder invention of the time, the airplane and imagine one so fast that they could travel across the globe in seconds, while flying machines today can do that or are at least we are on the verge, we are not all traveling around the world in seconds we tend to favour the internet. So what's not there influences what is there. Because we are the way we are we compare things to ourselves we look at the unknown and treat it like it's the known until we learn otherwise, for example you had never seen a wolf before and were completely unaware of them and all other animals, when you saw a wolf you would see it has two eyes like you so you would assume on that basis it could see, then you would see it's 'hands' and conclude that they are very different to yours, then you might witness it licking it's own bum which you can't do and would imagine wouldn't want to do and you definitely don't need to do because you evolved hands and arms which allow to clean yourself without having to use your tongue and eventually you would realize this distinction between your approach to hygiene and a wolf's.

But back to the initial question there could be any number of ways of performing surgery when developed from a different starting point. For example maybe an alien species could perform surgery with just a superior sense of touch to us, where they could feel pressure and other factors far better than we can. I had to have an operation on one of my middle fingers due to an infection, after the pain, swelling etc had subsided, for a little while I had a super sensitive finger which meant I was able to touch surfaces of things that I considered smooth and find out they were not as smooth as I previously thought, my own skin is one example.

With regards to the the camouflage question, camouflage is only effective if it's in the correct environment, for example there is a fish in Venezuela I forget it's name but it has mirrored scales which means its as good as invisible (you can see it's shadow however which makes spear fishing possible though very tricky) the colours and objects are distorted by the water so this plays into the fishes advantage if it was on the ground out of water it would be more conspicuous. If a person was covered in mirrors in one of those Hall of Mirrors things you get at funfairs, that would be an excellent camouflage because you would only ever see yourself in all sorts of distorted ways. Imagine the same person stood in the middle of an art gallery the person would be very noticeable as they would be were all the pictures seem to converge into one mixed up image (unless you were in a gallery full of Picasso pieces in which case you wouldn't notice)

Likes dahoa
Nice question

I would google the sorts of different eyes that have evolved here on our planet (start with what we know)

Some very strange adaptations and there some animals do not use light at all either for photosynthesis or for vision.

There is an autistic man from a U.S communist party and he makes the point that if humans were blind then buildings would have no window or lights, so if you were the only human with bison you would have a disability. I thought up the alternative of imagine you had to quickly move across a space were there were shadows of obstacles because of the low light, a blind person would probably be at the advantage of not being tricked by the shadows and only contending with the actual obstacles.

After watching all the Predators movies and Aliens vs Predators. I went on to see Prometheus.. then Aliens: Covenant which are prequel to Aliens 1 to 5.

So were the "Aliens" created by the Engineers in Prometheus who created Humanity.. or did the Predators created the "Aliens" to host humans so they have Game to play in their regular Hunting Season?

Also it takes only a few hours to for the organism to grow inside the body. If we fill tissues with so many accelerants, catalysts or nanotech initiators combining with cutting edge genetic engineering.. can those things be possible where they can grow very fast? What is the fastest growing organism naturally there right now?

1. How do predators see different from humans?

Predators have a unique set of eyes that allow them to see in ways that humans cannot. They have a higher concentration of rod cells, which are responsible for detecting movement and dim light, making them excellent hunters in low light conditions. They also have a reflective layer behind their retina called the tapetum lucidum, which helps them see better in the dark.

2. Can predators see in color?

Yes, predators have color vision just like humans. However, they have a higher concentration of cone cells, which are responsible for color vision, in their eyes. This means they can see a wider range of colors and can distinguish shades that humans may not be able to see.

3. Do predators have better eyesight than humans?

It is difficult to determine if predators have better eyesight than humans as it depends on the specific predator and their prey. For example, some predators have better night vision, while humans have better color vision and depth perception. However, predators have evolved to have specialized vision for hunting, making them highly efficient in their natural environment.

4. How does predator vision affect their hunting techniques?

Predator vision plays a crucial role in their hunting techniques. Their ability to see in low light and detect movement allows them to stalk and ambush their prey effectively. Their color vision also helps them identify camouflage and blend into their surroundings, making them even more successful hunters.

5. Can predators see in the dark?

Yes, predators can see in the dark due to their unique eyes. Their tapetum lucidum reflects light back into their retina, giving them a second chance to detect and process light. This allows them to see in low light conditions and gives them an advantage over their prey at night.