Exploring the Beauty of .99 Repeating Equals 1

• Thread starter raven1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beauty
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of .999 repeating being equal to 1. Some people believe that there must be a difference because when you divide 1 by 3, there is always something left over. However, this belief can be easily disproven using concepts such as infinite series and the completion of the rationals. The lack of understanding of these concepts can hinder one's ability to comprehend the concept of infinity. In order to convince others of this concept, it may be helpful to use examples such as 1/9 being equal to .111 repeating and 10/9 being equal to 1.11 repeating, which can lead to the conclusion that 0 equals 1 divided by infinity. Ultimately, it is important
raven1
i accept that .99 repeating equals 1. I read a lot of posts as why it is true and I accept them. ii had a discussion with some people about this and their response is there must be a difference. the basic reason is based on what happens when you divide 1 by 3. they claim 1/3 dose not equal .33 repeating, that even if u go out to infinity there was always be something left over, and with any repeating decimal there will always be something left over . I am not sure how to respond. Part of the problem is they never went that far into math

Physics news on Phys.org
because they chose never to go far into math, you should tell them not to bother about stuff they don't have the competence to discuss.

Alternatively, tell them that in the constuction of the real numbers (for example with the use of the equivalence class concept) it is a trivial, almost definitionally true statement that 0.99..=1

Last edited:
Ask them to define what Real Numbers are. When they can't blind them with the correct definition:

the completion of the rationals

Note there are other equivalent definitions. In anyone of them those two *different symbols* represent the same Real Number. I am capitalizing the 'r' of real to indicate that Real Numbers refers to a specific set of objects, not their hand wavy (understandably) ill informed idea. I don't understand how anyone can actually accept that there is such a thing as 0.9.. in the first place yet not accept this. I suspect it is because they do not get what infinite sums are.

Also ask them if they accept that symbols are just representations of these objects and that it is perfectly possible for two different symbols to represent the same thing, like 1/2 and 3/6.

In high school algebra, at some point, the concept of infinite series is introduced. If you understand it, then the idea that .999...=1 or that .333...=1/3 is trivial. Otherwise you can run into fundamental difficulties in undertanding.

mathman said:
In high school algebra, at some point, the concept of infinite series is introduced. If you understand it, then the idea that .999...=1 or that .333...=1/3 is trivial. Otherwise you can run into fundamental difficulties in undertanding.
Yeah , let x = .999... then 10 x = 9.999... Since the decimal part is the same infinite series for both x and 10x, it cancels by subtracting. Thus we have 9x = 9 which gives x = 1.
Similarly x = .333... gives 9x = 3 showing that x = 1/3.

Another example is the infinite geometric series
[tex]\frac{1}{2} \quad \frac{1}{4} \quad \frac{1}{8} \dots [/tex] which can be shown to equal 1 by letting [tex]x[/tex] equal the sum and subtracting [tex]x[/tex] from [tex]2x[/tex] It is indeed trival if you understand infinite series.

Last edited:
Of course, people who claim 0.999... is not equal to 1 also will not accept that you can do arithmetic on infinite digits like that. There's probably no way of arguing with them- they think of numbers as being their decimal representations rather than just represented by them: 0.999... is a different representation than 1, therefore a different number!

I think that the lack of mathematical skill hinders most people from regarding "infinity" as anything else than a whopping big number.

That is, without mathematical expertise, the ideas of infinity (and many others) remain rough and naive (and useless).

Not a particularly revolutionary insight, I guess..

raven1 said:
i accept that .99 repeating equals 1. I read a lot of posts as why it is true and I accept them. ii had a discussion with some people about this and their response is there must be a difference. the basic reason is based on what happens when you divide 1 by 3. they claim 1/3 dose not equal .33 repeating, that even if u go out to infinity there was always be something left over, and with any repeating decimal there will always be something left over . I am not sure how to respond. Part of the problem is they never went that far into math

As soon as they say there's always something left you whip out "Oh ya, well one of the proofs is showing there's nothing left!" like so

[tex]
1 - .999... = 0.0000...1
[/tex]
Now, I'm aware of how bad an idea it is to put "1" after an infinite series. But they'll accept this. You really don't want to use the summation sign going from 0 to infinity with non-math people. Anyways, continuing:

[tex]0.000...1 = 1*10^{-\infty}[/tex]
It helps if you show that .1 = 10^-1, .01 = 10^-2 and so forth to backup this step.

Then explain how X^-Y = 1/x^y and do this:
[tex]1*10^{-\infty} = \frac{1}{10^\infty}[/tex]

and how 10^infinity = infinity:
[tex]\frac{1}{10^\infty} = \frac{1}{\infty}[/tex]

and anything divided by infinity is 0:
[tex]\frac{1}{\infty} = 0[/tex]

so that means:
[tex]1 - .999... = 0[/tex]

Then adding .999... to both sides you get:
[tex]1 = .999...[/tex]

Last edited:
Alkatran, people who do not believe .9999=1 will not believe that 1/infinity = 0.

moose said:
Alkatran, people who do not believe .9999=1 will not believe that 1/infinity = 0.

Well then there's no hope.

moose said:
Then tell them how 1/9 = .111...11
10/9 =1.11...10 implies that
10/9 - 1/9 = 9/9 = 1 = 1.00...(-1) = 1 - 1/infinity and thus 0 = 1/infinity!

If they still don't acept that, say too bad since anyone having success in math accepts this and until you have faith that this is true you will not succeed in math.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with these latest posts... I just don't like necromancy of .999~ = 1 threads.

1. What is the concept of .99 repeating equaling 1?

The concept of .99 repeating equaling 1 is based on the mathematical concept of limits. It is a way of representing a number that is infinitely close to 1, but not exactly equal to it. In other words, .99 repeating is an infinitely long decimal that is rounded to 1.

2. How is it possible for .99 repeating to equal 1?

It is possible for .99 repeating to equal 1 because of the way infinite decimals are represented in mathematics. In this case, .99 repeating represents the limit of a sequence of numbers that gets closer and closer to 1 without ever reaching it. Therefore, it is rounded to 1 for practical purposes.

3. Is .99 repeating equal to 1 in all cases?

Yes, .99 repeating is equal to 1 in all cases. This is because, as mentioned before, it is a representation of the limit of a sequence of numbers that gets closer and closer to 1. It is a mathematical fact that the limit of this sequence is 1, therefore .99 repeating is equal to 1.

4. Why is the concept of .99 repeating equaling 1 important?

The concept of .99 repeating equaling 1 is important because it challenges our understanding of numbers and decimals. It also has practical applications in fields such as calculus and computer science, where the concept of limits is crucial. Understanding this concept can also help us grasp other mathematical concepts, such as the concept of infinity.

5. Can you prove that .99 repeating equals 1?

Yes, there are various mathematical proofs that show .99 repeating is equal to 1. One of the simplest proofs is based on the concept of geometric series, where the sum of an infinite series can be calculated. In this case, the sum of the series 0.9 + 0.09 + 0.009 + ... is equal to 1. Therefore, .99 repeating is equal to 1.