Exploring the Definition of a Fibre Bundle

In summary, the book recommends studying covering spaces from Munkres's Topology before studying fiber bundles.
matness
In the definition of fibre bundle we have a structure consist of (E, B,F, G, p, phi)
E:total space
B:base manifold = E/R where R is a relation
p:projection map from E to B
F: fibre
G:lie group acting on F etc.

the relation between E and B is obvious but i don't get connection between F and E also the roles of phi(family of homeomorphisms) or G exactly.

I don't want to just read the defn and pass
I stucked at this defn and really need help.
Can you give any explanation or an example ?

Physics news on Phys.org
E is thought of a family of copies of F, parametrized by B.

hopefully by viewing E this way one can combine in formation about B and F into information on E, using G as a way to see how to combine it.basic example is E = tangent bundle to B, with G = linear group of coord changes in the tangent spaces.

the 50 year old book, topology of fibre bundles, by steenrod is still a classic, and just reading the first few pages of examples gives already a good feel for the concept.

Can we say F consists of [tex] p^{-1} (x)[/tex] where x€B
or does this destroy generality of F?
Do we always construct E starting from fibersc?
..Or are they independently chosen?

(Also thanks for book suggestion, it seems from books.google that what i want is there.Unfortuanetely i have to wait for the library's opening hour)

Last edited:
thank you again for the book
now everything is clear

mathwonk said:
the 50 year old book, topology of fibre bundles, by steenrod is still a classic, and just reading the first few pages of examples gives already a good feel for the concept.
I own a copy of the book, and it is good with clear examples. Though the notations are a bit different from today's literature on fiber bundles. It's perhaps a good idea to study covering spaces from Munkres's Topology first.

Related to Exploring the Definition of a Fibre Bundle

1. What is a fibre bundle?

A fibre bundle is a mathematical construct that describes the relationship between two spaces. It consists of a base space, a total space, and a projection map that maps points from the total space to the base space. The base space is typically a simpler, more familiar space, while the total space is more complex and can be thought of as a continuous family of spaces.

2. What are the main components of a fibre bundle?

The main components of a fibre bundle are the base space, the total space, and the projection map. Additionally, there is also the fibre, which is the space that connects the base space and the total space. The fibre is usually a topological space or a vector space.

3. What is the difference between a fibre bundle and a vector bundle?

A vector bundle is a type of fibre bundle where the fibre is always a vector space. In other words, a vector bundle is a special case of a fibre bundle. However, not all fibre bundles are vector bundles. A fibre bundle can have a fibre that is a topological space or any other type of space.

4. What are some real-life examples of fibre bundles?

Fibre bundles can be found in many areas of science and engineering. Some examples include the electromagnetic field, which can be described as a fibre bundle over a four-dimensional spacetime; the tangent bundle, which describes the relationship between a manifold and its tangent space; and the frame bundle, which relates a manifold to its orthonormal frames.

5. How are fibre bundles used in physics?

Fibre bundles are used in physics to describe various physical phenomena and theories. For example, in general relativity, spacetime is described as a fibre bundle, with the base space being the four-dimensional manifold and the total space being the set of all possible metrics. Additionally, fibre bundles are used in gauge theories to describe the relationship between a gauge field and its base space, which is often a spacetime manifold.