Exploring the Effects of Different Mediums on Coulomb's Law

In summary, Coulomb's Law is used to calculate the electrostatic force between two point charges in a single medium. The formula for Coulombic force is |F| = \frac{Kq_1q_2}{r^{2}}, where K is \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon} for any medium. However, the force can change if the charges are in different mediums, such as one being in water and the other in air. In this case, the boundary conditions must be taken into account, as well as the creation of electric dipoles in the dielectrics. This is a more complex situation and requires further understanding of related concepts.
Infinitum
Hello everyone!

As I understand it, Coulomb's Law gives the electrostatic force of attraction or repulsion between two point charges, in any single medium.

[itex]|F| = \frac{Kq_1q_2}{r^{2}}[/itex]

And for any medium K is [itex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon}[/itex]

My question is, how would different mediums in between the charges effect the Coulombic force?

For example, what would the force be if one particle +Q is kept in water, and the other, say -Q in air? The water surface ending at half the distance between between them.(please see attachment)
Surely the [itex]\epsilon[/itex] won't be the same for this case, as for only water, or only air.

I've referred quite a few books, but they don't explain this kind of situation.

Attachments

• img.bmp
    169.4 KB · Views: 516
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Infinitum! :smile:

Nobody else has answered, so I'll have a go …

I don't think there's any simple solution, you first need to find the field, using the boundary conditions (so it isn't just the straight line between the two charges that matters).

Ultimately, the charges create electric dipoles in the dielectrics, and also I think along the interface, and they have their own Coluomb's law contribution.

The cases you see in textbooks and exam questions are the easy ones where the field is obviously regular (uniform, or cylindrical, or spherical) …

eg a point charge at the centre of a spherical shell. :wink:

I see now, I read up an article on how to find the electric field at boundary of two materials, but it's a bit confusing for me to understand, since I don't know a few related concepts. Will try learning those first :-p

Thanks for the reply Tiny-tim. :biggrin:

Related to Exploring the Effects of Different Mediums on Coulomb's Law

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged particles. It quantifies the force between two charges and is based on their magnitude and distance from each other.

2. Who discovered Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law was discovered by French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb in 1785. He conducted experiments with charged objects and measured the forces between them, leading to the formulation of this law.

3. What is the formula for Coulomb's Law?

The formula for Coulomb's Law is F = k * (q1 * q2) / d2, where F is the force between two charges, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the two charges, and d is the distance between them.

4. How does Coulomb's Law relate to electric fields?

Coulomb's Law is closely related to electric fields. The force between two charges can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of one charge by the electric field at the location of the other charge. The electric field is a measure of the force that a charge would experience at a given point in space.

5. What are the applications of Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law has various applications in different fields, including electronics, engineering, and physics. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of electric charges in different situations. It is also used in the design of electrical circuits and devices, as well as in the study of atomic and molecular interactions.