Exploring the Impact of Depressing Music: My Journey as a Musician

• Music
  • Thread starter W3pcq
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary, I think that it is bad to dwell in sorrow, and that people can get addicted to the beauty found in sorrow.
W3pcq
I have gone through various phases as a musician, from which my ideology of music has been established. The tragic thing is that my new ideology leads me to feel like never writing a song again.

Phase one, stoked to be playing anything. Phase two, getting good, growing ego. Stage three, can shred on drum solos, and think I am the baddest that ever lived. Stage four, realize that the best drumming is simplified to a more pleasing level and the genus is in subleties, and in accentuating a song. Phase five, realizing that a song is only an expression of emotion and attitude. Phase six, realizing that my emotion and attitude (my music) is one big representation of my sorrow. Phase seven, beginning to dislike what my music represents and how it makes me feel, beginning to feel that skill is much less important than the person, their attitude, and the feeling they are expressing.

I write these songs, thinking they are great songs, then when I listen to the recordings more than a couple of times, I get a huge sense of dread, and just delete the songs. Then when I am just having fun with my friends having a blast, I come up with awesome happy stuff. The sad thing is that all of these "masterpieces", that I thought I had, are to me, only a slap in the face, and a shameful display.

Is depressing music bad for us? Should we be listening to music on the basis of what kind of positive reaction we have, ie. what kind of attitude it inforces on us?

Science news on Phys.org
W3pcq said:
Is depressing music bad for us? Should we be listening to music on the basis of what kind of positive reaction we have, ie. what kind of attitude it inforces on us?

I don't think depressing music is bad for people or less valuable than happy music. It's normal to feel unhappy or melancholy some times. Music can be very depressing but still very beautiful and I think there is something redeeming about that.

W3pcq said:
Phase six, realizing that my emotion and attitude (my music) is one big representation of my sorrow.

I am a cheerful person but all my best songs are very depressing.

W3pcq said:
Phase seven, beginning to dislike what my music represents and how it makes me feel, beginning to feel that skill is much less important than the person, their attitude, and the feeling they are expressing.

Hmmm, can you try to improvise more in major keys? :-) It sounds like you have a lot of fun improvising with your friends - so just keep at it. The thing about music is that learning is a very satisfying process while at the same time you don't have to be very good just to enjoy yourself.

W3pcq said:
I have gone through various phases as a musician, from which my ideology of music has been established. The tragic thing is that my new ideology leads me to feel like never writing a song again.

I think ideologies are overrated. If you give up ideologies then it's easier to change.

I used to write a lot of songs but I haven't done much for the last year. Before that I actually recorded an album and toured around a bit until I broke even. I found that having an audience helped my writing (I wrote more and tended to finish songs once I started them). I miss the sense of accomplishment that comes with finishing a good song - but I think it's great just to play other people's music too.

oedipa maas said:
I don't think depressing music is bad for people or less valuable than happy music. It's normal to feel unhappy or melancholy some times. Music can be very depressing but still very beautiful and I think there is something redeeming about that.

I think that this leads to core of what is bothering me. People love to dwell in sorrow. Maybe the reason is that there is often beauty in sorrow. Ones tragedy is to the third person a touching story. Still though I believe it is bad to dwell in sorrow. Sometimes the beauty found in the sorrow is addictive, and people need that sorrow to get that beauty. People sit in sorrow and think of all the reasons to be sad, they milk the beauty out of all the sorrow in their lives, and what do they get for an outcome?, they live sorrowful lives. Maybe they leave behind a touching story and beautiful music. Maybe they make a sacrifice in order to make the world a more beautiful place, or maybe they should have completely avoided the indulgence of sorrowful beauty and instead should have indulged in the more positive, perhaps less dramatic domains of attitude.

Last edited:
Try looking at it this way. Is it possible to have real happiness without sorrow? or vice versa?

It's in my opinion that the greatest artist can communicate both in their works. If you look at Mozart, some of the music is entirely happy and joyful, while some is the saddest I've ever heard. Shakespeare? He has his tragedies and comedies. You ultimately cannot do well in one without exploring the other.

As for going through the different phases, I feel that's definitely a good thing. It shows that you are growing because your perspective is changing. A constantly changing perspective is a result of looking at the world in a different way, which can only help as an artist. Try not to let it get you down, and instead, embrace it.

Here's a thought. Play anything you want, happy or melancholy. Just play it on the banjo.

The hairy banjo!

http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/comicbanjo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the purpose of exploring the impact of depressing music?

The purpose of exploring the impact of depressing music is to better understand the psychological and emotional effects that this type of music has on listeners. This research can also provide insights into why people are drawn to depressing music and how it may affect their overall well-being.

How is the impact of depressing music studied?

The impact of depressing music is studied through various methods such as surveys, experiments, and brain imaging techniques. Researchers may also analyze lyrics and musical elements to understand how they contribute to the emotional response of listeners.

What have studies found about the impact of depressing music?

Studies have found that depressing music can evoke a range of emotions in listeners, including sadness, nostalgia, and empathy. It may also have a cathartic effect, providing a release for negative emotions. However, prolonged exposure to depressing music may also lead to feelings of hopelessness and perpetuate negative thought patterns.

How can the impact of depressing music be applied in the music industry?

The impact of depressing music can be applied in the music industry by understanding its appeal to certain audiences and incorporating it into marketing strategies. It can also be used as a tool for catharsis and connecting with listeners on an emotional level. However, it is important for musicians and industry professionals to be aware of the potential negative effects of excessive exposure to depressing music.

Are there any potential ethical concerns in studying the impact of depressing music?

There may be potential ethical concerns in studying the impact of depressing music, particularly when it comes to exposing participants to potentially triggering content. It is important for researchers to take measures to ensure the well-being of participants and obtain informed consent. Additionally, the results of these studies should be interpreted and communicated responsibly to avoid sensationalizing or glorifying depression and other mental health issues.