Exploring the Speed of Sound: Explosive Examples and Visual Demonstrations

In summary, the speaker is looking for a video of a large explosion with a timer to use as an attention-grabbing opening for their presentation on the speed of sound. They mention that the light from the explosion reaches the eyes much faster than the sound from the shock wave. They have found some videos but they either do not have timers or do not have sound. They also mention a video that does not have a timer but shows the atmospheric shock wave approaching after the explosion. They ask if anyone can add a timer to videos with sound.
Chowie
Hello there, I'm making a presentation on the speed of sound in a few days and I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find a video that shows a (preferably huge) explosion from a distance with a timer on it.

What I wish to convey from this video is the fact that the light from the explosion reaches our eyes far, far faster than the sound from the resulting shock wave, even if that shock wave is traveling in excess of the speed of sound.

I just want a punchy opening to my presentation, I found a few but they don't have timers on them or they have no sound.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Doesn't get much "huger". Or much scarier and at the same time beautiful... I know it doesn't have a timer, but the effect is obvious and it has sound. In addition, you can see it when the atmospheric shockwave approaches long after the explosion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you just add a timer to the ones that do have sound?

1. What is the speed of sound?

The speed of sound is the distance that sound waves travel in a certain amount of time. It varies depending on the medium it is traveling through, but in air at room temperature, the speed of sound is approximately 343 meters per second.

2. How does the speed of sound compare to the speed of light?

The speed of sound is much slower than the speed of light. While sound travels at approximately 343 meters per second in air, light travels at approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. This means that light is about 874,030 times faster than sound.

3. What are some examples of explosive events that demonstrate the speed of sound?

One example is a thunderclap, where the sound of lightning travels at the speed of sound, making it audible to our ears. Another example is the firing of a gun, where the sound of the gunshot travels at the speed of sound and is heard after the bullet has already left the gun.

4. Can you visually demonstrate the speed of sound?

Yes, there are various ways to visually demonstrate the speed of sound. One way is to use a strobe light and a tuning fork. The strobe light creates a visual "snapshot" of the sound waves, allowing you to see the distance they travel in a certain amount of time. Another way is to use a ripple tank, where small waves are created and their speed can be measured.

5. How does the speed of sound change with temperature?

The speed of sound increases as the temperature increases. This is because the molecules in warmer air have more energy and can vibrate faster, allowing sound waves to travel faster. On the other hand, in colder temperatures, molecules move slower and sound waves travel slower as a result.