Exploring the Uses of Triangle Inequality

In summary: It is also used in optimization problems in Calculus and Linear Algebra. There are many other inequalities used in mathematics such as the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality and the AM-GM inequality, but the triangle inequality is a fundamental and widely applicable one.
MiddleEast
Hi,
Recently I studied triangle inequality and the proof using textbook precalculus by David Cohen.
My question is whats the benefit of this inequality ? One benefit I found is to solve inequality of the form |x+a| + |x+b| < c which make the solution much easier than taking cases. I assume this inequality can be used in proof? the beauty of this inequality is to separate absolute of sum to sum of absolutes which - supposedly - will make proving (whatever the proof is) much easier.

Are there any other benefits ?
Are there any important inequality other triangle and AM-GM inequality that quite famous ?
Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The triangle inequality is a fundamental defining property of a distance function or metric (of which ##| x - y|## is probably the first you'll encounter). If you have a set and you want to have a notion of the distance between two elements of that set, which we'll denote by ##d(x, y)##, then we have four fundamental properties. Here ##x, y, z## are any elements in your set.
$$\text{1)} \ d(x, y) \ge 0$$$$\text{2)} \ d(x, y) = 0 \ \Leftrightarrow \ x = y$$$$\text{3)} \ d(x, y) = d(y, x)$$$$\text{4)} \ \text{(the triangle inequality)} \ d(x, z) \le d(x, y) + d(y, z)$$
In any case, the triangle inequality is used all over mathematics and physics.

Likes jbriggs444
MiddleEast said:
Hi,
Recently I studied triangle inequality and the proof using textbook precalculus by David Cohen.
My question is whats the benefit of this inequality ? One benefit I found is to solve inequality of the form |x+a| + |x+b| < c which make the solution much easier than taking cases. I assume this inequality can be used in proof? the beauty of this inequality is to separate absolute of sum to sum of absolutes which - supposedly - will make proving (whatever the proof is) much easier.

Are there any other benefits ?
Are there any important inequality other triangle and AM-GM inequality that quite famous ?
Thanks.
As Perok mentioned, thats the idea of the triangle inequality. It is also a useful tool for proving properties of limits of sequences and functions in Analysis, Topologies with a metric...

What is the triangle inequality theorem?

The triangle inequality theorem states that the sum of any two sides of a triangle must be greater than the third side. In other words, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, and a triangle is the shortest path connecting three points. This theorem is essential in understanding the properties and relationships of triangles.

What are some practical applications of the triangle inequality theorem?

The triangle inequality theorem has numerous practical applications in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and navigation. For example, it is used in designing stable and efficient structures, calculating distances and routes for travel, and determining the maximum possible length of a cable or rope.

How does the triangle inequality theorem relate to the concept of triangle inequality?

The triangle inequality theorem is the mathematical proof that supports the concept of triangle inequality. It shows that the sum of any two sides of a triangle must be greater than the third side, which is the basis of the concept of triangle inequality.

What is the significance of the triangle inequality theorem in geometry?

The triangle inequality theorem is one of the fundamental theorems in geometry. It helps to establish the relationships and properties of triangles, which are essential in solving geometric problems. It also serves as the basis for other theorems and concepts in geometry.

How can the triangle inequality theorem be used to prove other theorems?

The triangle inequality theorem can be used as a starting point to prove other theorems in geometry. For example, it can be used to prove the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.