Exploring Thermo in Batman: Arkham Origins

In summary, the Batman: Arkham Origins game includes some thermodynamic calculations involving the transformation of minerals, potentially for the development of a cloak of invisibility. However, it is important to note that thermodynamics is a broad field of study and the purpose of these calculations may not be limited to this specific process.
MexChemE
Hello, PF! Days ago, while playing Batman: Arkham Origins, I was wandering through the Batcave when I noticed something that caught my eye immediately. There's a nice, cozy lab in there which includes a blackboard where Bruce Wayne apparently did some kind of thermodynamic calculations, which look like the ΔG of transformation of aragonite to calcite. Maybe he's studying those minerals to create a cloak of invisibility?[1] :wink:

Thermo has always been one of my favorite subjects since high school, and I lost it when I saw those equations inside the game. I thought some of you may find this interesting too.

bat-thermo.jpg

Likes Drakkith
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there! I am always excited to see science being incorporated into popular culture, especially in video games. It's great to hear that you noticed some thermodynamic calculations in the Batman: Arkham Origins game.

The transformation of aragonite to calcite is indeed a thermodynamic process, and it is possible that Bruce Wayne is studying these minerals for the development of a cloak of invisibility. However, it is important to note that thermodynamics is a broad field of study and can be applied to various processes, not just the transformation of minerals.

Without further information, it is difficult to determine the exact purpose of Bruce Wayne's calculations. It is also worth considering that the equations may have been used for a different purpose in the game, and not necessarily for the creation of a cloak of invisibility.

Nonetheless, it is always exciting to see science being represented in popular media, and it's great that you found it interesting as well. Keep exploring and learning about thermodynamics, and who knows, you may one day create your own cloak of invisibility!

1. What is "Thermo" in Batman: Arkham Origins?

"Thermo" in Batman: Arkham Origins refers to the game's thermodynamic system, which includes the use of heat and cold in combat, as well as environmental puzzles and challenges. It adds a unique element to the gameplay and allows players to use Batman's gadgets and environment in creative ways.

2. How does Thermo affect gameplay in Batman: Arkham Origins?

Thermo affects gameplay in several ways. In combat, using heat and cold strategically can weaken enemies and give Batman an advantage. In puzzles and challenges, players must use Thermo-related mechanics to progress and solve tasks. It adds an extra layer of strategy and problem-solving to the game.

3. Are there any environmental hazards related to Thermo in Batman: Arkham Origins?

Yes, there are several environmental hazards related to Thermo in the game. These include icy surfaces that can cause Batman to slip and fall, and steam vents that can damage or stun enemies. Players must be aware of these hazards and use them to their advantage in combat and puzzles.

4. Can players upgrade their Thermo abilities in Batman: Arkham Origins?

Yes, players can upgrade their Thermo abilities through the game's upgrade system. This includes unlocking new gadgets and upgrades that use heat and cold, as well as increasing Batman's resistance to environmental hazards. Upgrading Thermo abilities can greatly enhance gameplay and help players overcome tougher challenges.

5. How does Thermo tie into the overall story of Batman: Arkham Origins?

Thermo ties into the overall story of Batman: Arkham Origins through the game's main villain, Mr. Freeze. Mr. Freeze's obsession with cryogenics and his use of cold as a weapon plays a significant role in the game's plot. Thermo also ties into the theme of Batman's struggle to maintain control and balance between his dark and heroic sides.

Back