Exponential Growth: Modeling growth in months vs years

In summary, the conversation discusses a function representing population growth in a country and how it can be graphed in terms of years or months. The speaker also questions why the t in years appears to grow faster than t in months and clarifies that the function calculates the value after time t. They also compare the two formulas and suggest using equal times to compare the results.
opus
Gold Member
Say I have a function that represents the population growth of a certain country that can be written as ##f\left(x\right)=1.25\left(1.012\right)^t##, where t is in years. I can graph this function and it will look a certain way exponentially.

I've looked at a ton of examples, and they're all modeled in years. One thing that I tried is to graph the function ##f\left(x\right)=1.25\left(1.012\right)^{t/12}## to model the graph in months rather than years. I did get a different graph which doesn't increase nearly as fast as the original. Why would the t in years appear to grow faster than t in months? In this population model, wouldn't the growth be consistent throughout the whole year?

What I don't understand here (assuming this is how you would graph the function in terms of months), is when we have an exponential function to the power of t, is it always in years? If we want to model a time frame in anything other than years, do we need to manipulate t to reflect this? Or would we just say t is in months, not years, from the start?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think you mean to say "f(t) =" rather than f(x), since there is no "x" in your right hand side.

This represents a slow growth rate (1.2% per year). The way it is set up, it is like compounding annually. Putting t/12 in the exponent you will get to see how it
progresses after a number of months. Putting in ## 1.012^{t/12} ## with t = 12 will yield ## 1.012^{12/12} = 1.012##, just as ## 1.012^{t} ## would give the same answer with t = 1 (year)

Likes opus
scottdave said:
I think you mean to say "f(t) =" rather than f(x), since there is no "x" in your right hand side.

This represents a slow growth rate (1.2% per year). The way it is set up, it is like compounding annually. Putting t/12 in the exponent you will get to see how it
progresses after a number of months. Putting in ## 1.012^{t/12} ## with t = 12 will yield ## 1.012^{12/12} = 1.012##, just as ## 1.012^{t} ## would give the same answer with t = 1 (year)
Yes I meant to say ##f\left(t\right)##. Thank you.
So when I look at the graph of the function with the exponent as ##\frac {t}{12}##, the entire graph that is shows is the growth model of a single month? And if I have the exponent simply as t, it will show the graph over an entire year?

And to follow your example with ##1.012^\frac {t}{12}##, and plugging in the value of 12 into t, that would be 12 months out of 12 months or one year, which is the same as just t. If I were to plug in, say, 9 into t rather than 12, that would show we the growth of the population over the entire course of 9 months, or over the single ninth month (in this case September)?

The function calculates the value after time t. If you plug in t=1 in the first one you get the value after 1 year. If you plug in t=1 in the second formula you get the value after 1 month - that will show much less growth than a full year, of course. If you plug in t=9 in the second formula you get the value after 9 months (i.e. after September).

To compare the two formulas, you should do this at equal times, e.g. after 10 years, or t=10 for the first one and t=120 (months) for the second. Clearly 120/12=10, so you get the same result in both cases.

1. What is exponential growth?

Exponential growth is a type of growth in which the rate of increase is proportional to the current value. This leads to a rapid and continuous increase in the value over time.

2. How is exponential growth different from linear growth?

In linear growth, the rate of increase remains constant over time, leading to a steady increase in the value. In exponential growth, the rate of increase increases over time, resulting in a much faster and larger increase in the value.

3. How is exponential growth modeled in months versus years?

Exponential growth can be modeled in months versus years using the same mathematical equation, but with different values for time. For example, if a population is growing exponentially at a rate of 5% per year, the equation would be N = No * (1.05)^t, where t is the number of years. To model it in months, we would use t/12 as the exponent, where t is the number of months.

4. What are some real-life examples of exponential growth?

Some real-life examples of exponential growth include the spread of a contagious disease, the growth of a bacterial culture, and the increase in the number of internet users over time.

5. How is exponential growth affected by limiting factors?

Exponential growth can be limited by factors such as availability of resources, competition, and environmental conditions. These factors can slow down the rate of growth and eventually lead to a plateau or decline in the value.